How Many Games Before your Performance Noticably Drops.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jimbouk, Dec 13, 2004.

1. jimbouk

jimbouk Regular Member

Trader in Japan & USA
    Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note - the other day when i was playing on a club night we had very few players in and as a result managed to play 10+ games each.

After about the 8th game i could notice that my performance was not as sharp as in the first 3 games say - i know this is affected by fitness and level of play but just wondered if other people noticed this and after how many games they usually felt - "i am no longer playing at my best".

Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it and best wishes to everyone who doesn't!

JC

2. fan

fan Regular Member

0.1 games, just about after the first ‘long’ rally. :eek:

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    This is also my answer. ;)

Seriously, I can give an answer like 0.1 if on an off day and have to play against some "crafy" players, who manage to let me run all over the world. I can also give an answer like 15+, if on a good day, with more recreation type of fun games.

4. goldmedal

goldmedal Regular Member

education
    i can normally play about 10 games before fatigue sets in , it affects my feet first, then my legs, then my shoulder

5. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    There is a downhill snowball effect on me.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for me, there is a noticable increase in performance from game 1 to game 4-5.
    and then from game 9-10 onwards a gradual decrease due to tiredness.

i am a slow starter and unless i have been training very frequently, i do need to take a couple of games to get to my normal performance level. say yesterday, i started my first two games with a new partner against this other pair. a good pair but not someone that should beat us so easily like they did. played rather poorly for 2 games. and then another friend invited me to play with him against other pairings and then i started to really warming up.

by game 8 or so, i was very much fired up and was playing some really fun games.

i think i probably could've continued till game 10-12 or even more, and will certainly be huffing and puffing.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    My goodness, no wonder you were all fired up the last time you were in Vancouver. Everyone was dead tired by 1:00 AM and you kept on going like an energizer bunny :) .

I guess you spared lots of energy during your unusually long warm up. Us joe blows just spent it all for the first 6 games.

8. fan

fan Regular Member

Wow, what a good idea. Bring an EB the next time when Kwun is in marathon competition. :D

A lot of ‘YOUNG’ players play at their best when they are all warm-up hot and steaming.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    So Kwun will have to bring an extra pair of knees :D .

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my knee did hurt a little bit yesterday after the 4 hours marathon. i guess age is catching up on me.

for me, the knee is slowing me down more than my heart. my heart can keep up with me for another few hours, but the knees are killing me. i live in a town home with stair cases to climb, and i was doing some house chores afterwards and boy i felt my knee saying "hi" on every step i took.

perhaps it is time to spend more effort on strengthening my knee and improving my footwork.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how was that for a crafty tactic? i gave the false impression that i could run non-stop. ;) reality is much different i am afraid.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I also Notice an increase in sharpness from the first game to about the third. From the third to the 6th seems about optimum, from then on it seems to go downhill (joints in pain :mad:) My legs and heart and mind are all willing, but limited by my joints.

After the 6th game during some games I get periods where I can play some good stuff, but it is sporadic, and not as consistent throughout the whole game.

Plus I think if anyone can go on for much more than 6 games on a spin then they aren't trying hard enough in the previous 6! :) (although I am guilty of this, sometimes you just "have" to be on the court hitting shuttles, even when you know you should be in bed!)

13. other

other Regular Member

Student
    the first game usually sucks since i like to warm up with my partner, and i don't often have the chance, so the warmup turns into a glorified relaxed stretch....so it takes a few games for me to play at my optimum...well that is if it is a good enough day for me to actually play well.

After enough games, the whole standard and pace seems to drop across all the players, so my personal performance drop is not too noticeable.

14. Growy

Growy Regular Member

Online Marketing Thingy
    Same as everyone else. First two games, forget it. Games 3-7, as good as it gets. After that, forget it again.