I hate such lame tactics

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pwakankar, Dec 13, 2004.

1. pwakankar

pwakankar Regular Member

Hi:

There is one thing that bugs me to no end. This typically happens with mediocre players. Better players, at least where I play have been always very courteous and with them this has never been a problem. What I am trying to describe is as follows:

When I started playing badminton, many moons ago, I was always taught if because of your fault the shuttle some how ends up in the net, as a courtesy to your opponent you are supposed to run over to the net and give them the shuttle. I don't mean just push it with your racquet in the the general direction of your opponent. But make a very good effort so that the opponent does not have to bend down to pick up the shuttle

However, what I observe with some players (mostly mediocre ones) is that they will either not make an effort to walk over to the net and give you the shuttle or if they do, they will just push it in your general direction so you have to bend down and pick up the shuttle. This supposedly is done to tire you out.

Am I expecting too much here or are there at least a few people on this forum who agree with me that these sort of tactics have no place in the game?

I maybe (that too very grudingly)can understand if this is done in a tournament, but not when you are playing to improve your game every week.

2. fan

fan Regular Member

Don’t be discouraged when you see that. It is common (not always) that the casual players don’t know the etiquettes as well as better players. No just in badminton, it is the same in other sports. Usually, they will ‘get’ it as they spend more time playing.

Often, it really is better for beginners to take a few beginners’ lessons. I learned how to pick up birds and fold my cloth nicely on my first badminton lesson. :)

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    S'funny ... I always run to the shuttle and give it back to the opponents, regardless of the circumstance, to remove ambiguity :)

Might get on someone's nerves, as my partner at one game whispered with back turned, "Let them get their own shuttle." :D

-dave

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    perhaps during the heat of the game, the tension and sweat and out of breath, your opponent didn't pay too much attention to whether he was returning the shuttle to you in a more courteous manner?

in general, i agree with you. this is the way i see it, even when we are playing a ultra competitive game, badminton is a competition during the rally, it is mostly alright to play competitively to win the rally. however, when the rally is over, badminton players should behave as sportsmen/sportswomen and should be courteous to each other and observe all ettiquette as a gentleman/lady should.

coaches among us should pass on that message to young and learning players.

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

haha, that is just plain rude.

maybe i'm real nice or something, but i always pick up the shuttle, and let the person pick the shuttle up off my stringbed.

if i have to pass it to the opponents, i extend the racquet under the net and lightly toss it to them.
    if they're not close enough, i deposit it right on the T, where they're supposed ot be serving.

i feel the sport is only as good as the players. if we suck, people will think the game sucks, and nobody will like it. all it takes is a few anti-social individuals to screw it up for everyone.

#5 chickenpoodle, Dec 13, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

New to the BC forum but long time player.

Yes, this type of behaviour bugs me too.

I could never figure out why it would be so difficult for someone to actually pick up the bird and hit it over the net to you (after the point is over). Not only is it common courtesy and good sportsmanship, I think it also shows the type of character the person has. And yes I have noticed the better players tend to display more court courtesy. I think if you live with ethos "treat others how you want to be treated", you won't have to worry anything.

7. altreality

altreality Regular Member

Generally, if one hits a shot into the net which lands in his own court, it is good courtesy to "toss" or hit the shuttle over to your opponent's side near the service line T so that its easier for him to pick it up....if he is really nearby or you are having eye contact you can get the shuttle straight to him...
    However I don't think it extends to walking over and giving the shuttle to the opponent everytime this happens ...sounds a little odd frankly..

Also- i can't see how picking the shuttle can be a strategy to tire anyone out - especially if he picks it up using his racket.

Vice versa, I think it is also good reciprocity when the opponent sometimes picks up the shuttle which lands near to him (e.g. a drop from baseline lands into the net and the opponent is at the net waiting)... In those situations, I (who played the bad shot) will usually wave to say thanks.

IMHO, it can be quite irritating when the opponent refuses to toss over the shuttle properly or deliberately hits it to somewhere else in the court.... but if he nicely places it at the service T for you, I think thats really quite fine.

8. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Interesting topic. One that always crosses my mind (because picking up the shuttle happens so frequently during play) but I never openly speak of, however it has turned into quite the "experiment" in human behaviour.

*LOL* If there's one thing I do well it's picking up the shuttle for other people :p. Often when my opponents send a shot into the net, I'll go up and pass it to them, even though an opponent playing the net is closer. Sometimes when the shuttle doesn't even reach the net I'll bend under the net to reach for it even though it's several feet away on the opponents side. When the shuttle flys off the side of the court from a miss hit by the opponents and is off the court on their side, I'll sometimes run off the court and to get it for the opponents, especially if my opponents are older. I'll even walk around the net to pick up a shuttle that I can't reach from under it because the opponents haven't made a move to pick it up. If anyone does any of the above for me, I always thank them.

Some "interesting" things I've observed...

- Often partners will actually start expecting me to go pick up every shuttle.
    - Only a few partners will actually thank me for getting the shuttle (even when it was closer to them).
    - On a rare occasion a partner will actually apologize to me for not picking up the shuttle themselves when it was closer to them, and/or they were the one who made the mistake.
    - More often opponents will actually expect me to pick up every shuttle, including all of their mistakes that didn't make it over the net.
    - After both partners and opponents start expecting me to get every shuttle, they cease to thank me for it.

After a lot of observation and playing with many different players in recreational, competitive, game, and practise situations, I can make some accurate generalizations of the players this area: most people are just plain lazy. It's like the last thing they want to do is go pick up that shuttle. I don't know if it's because they see it as a demeaning act, an admittance of failure, or what, but they sure won't move more than a snail's pace to go pick up that shuttle. Coincidentally, it seems the people who are most reluctant to go pick up the shuttle are also the ones who have the laziest footwork and movement on the court. And finally, it's quite obvious how quickly people's nature comes to the surface, as most people will take advantage of courtesy, and immediately become lazy and discourteous as they rely on others to do the work! So what does seem quite solid, is that similar to how people's real nature emerges during athletic effort, it also emerges between rallies as well.

So does this mean all the people I have played badminton with (hundreds) are pitifully lazy? Of course not. Most attempt to do the right thing as often as they remember to do so. Courtesy, for most people, seems to be a highly voluntary act. Unfortunately for many, it seems they never learned it, and laziness is an innate part of their nature. So have I ever come across anyone on the other end of the spectrum? Someone who, either by nature or willingly goes out of their way, to always be courteous on the court? Yes I have. I have the pleasure of regularly playing with the one person I consider to be truly courteous between rallies. Does any of this make a difference? I can't speak for others, but it matters to me. Then again, I'd also like to think courtesy should still be common, and that chivarly is not dead.

9. pwakankar

pwakankar Regular Member

What I am describing is not limited to a tournament game and not just one person. I am just commenting on general behavior of many players. That is what bugs me.

10. pwakankar

pwakankar Regular Member

Atreality: What i was describing was if I hit the shuttle and it goes into the net (i.e. does not fall on the other side), then I will walk over to the net and scoop the shuttle up and send it to my opponent. If I am playing singles, then I will go to the net, if I am playing doubles, I expect whoever is the clsoest (me or my partner) to toss it over to the other side.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here are some points of thoughts and my thoughts of them... :)

- courtesy is an interesting social behavior. here is what a dictionary says
    about the word courtesy:

• Polite behavior.
    • A polite gesture or remark.
    • Given or done as a polite gesture
    • Free of charge: courtesy tickets for the reporters
    nice ppl usually display higher level of courtesy, why ppl do it?

to me, people are courteous because it increases the general happiness level of the society/environment. the opposite of courtesy is probably hostility, when nobody tries to help each other out. when you are courteous, the receiving end of the courtesy will feel a level of friendliness from you. and if they appreciate the courtesy, they may choose to do the same in return. the result is a happy and harmonious environment.

as for whether a courteous return is expected, to me, i am mostly indifferent. if someone choose to be courteous in return for my courtesy, i will be very happy to see that. however, if somebody chooses not to, i will not hold any grudge against them nor will i try to force them to. we only hope that one day they will understand and will do so.

lucky that pretty much everybody i play with have good level of courtesy. i don't think everyone is like timeless who is 100% courteous and helps return all shuttle, but all are much above average. (i am not 100% either)

- another interesting observation is that in an environment of courteous players, i often see two ppl from opposite sides approaching the fallen shuttle at the same time, in those occasions, if the shuttle is destined to our side (ie. our service next). i will raise my racket to indicate that, "thanks, i got it".

- in the occasion when my side made the fault and someone else gotten to the fallen shuttle before we do (probably due to slackness from my side), i usually say "thanks" or "sorry" to acknowledge their courtesy. in the hope that the opponent won't mistake us for relying on them to pick up the shuttle.

12. pwakankar

pwakankar Regular Member

I agree with most of what you are saying.

Generally, I don't go and pick the shuttle if it's my opponents fault but I will do it if it's my fault. I will only do it for older players if they are not closer to the net and if I am.

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    i dont normally get to play much badminton... nor do i get much excercise now a days......... due to life restrictions.

so every playing chance i get, the most important objectives are 1) to enjoy my badminton, and 2) squeze as much sweat as i can from my body in the limited amount of time.

so because of 2) i seldom (nowadays at least) have any qualms about picking up the shuttle at the net either for myself or for my opponent. i even move forward to try to pick it up even tho i know the other guy is closer and on his way to pick it up as well. i suppose its just common courtesy, and most of all it just beats standing still looking at another person pick the shuttle while i look like a lazy pig...

cheers

jug

14. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I'm sure I'm not 100% courteous hahaha~ since no one is infallible. There must have been many times that I must have come across as discourteous to others even if I didn't intentionally mean to behave that way. Plus courteousy is also often a matter of perception and opinion. I just think it's very interesting how people behave while playing sports and how it seems to directly relate to the kind of person they really are. Even more interesting though, is how some people actually develop to behave differently, positively or negatively, through sports, and thus impact their daily lives as well.

15. annab

annab Regular Member

Web developer and entrepreneur
    Not that I've ever had to, but I would just wait until the shuttle is tossed back to me by the person at fault.

I can't even imagine other players not understanding basic common courtesy.

16. jimbouk

jimbouk Regular Member

Trader in Japan & USA
    I must admit that after a really frenetic rally (that i have lost) i do sometimes walk to the shuttle, pick it up, walk back to my side of the court, smooth the feathers down then hit it back - this gives me some time to get my breath back. . . i dont find anyone complains - maybe they are thankful for the rest as well!!

17. altreality

altreality Regular Member

Yep, thats my point too - I will pick up the shuttle and send it over to the other side or my partner will do it...
    I was more referring to your paragraph that states:

"was always taught if because of your fault the shuttle some how ends up in the net, as a courtesy to your opponent you are supposed to run over to the net and give them the shuttle. I don't mean just push it with your racquet in the the general direction of your opponent. But make a very good effort so that the opponent does not have to bend down to pick up the shuttle

However, what I observe with some players (mostly mediocre ones) is that they will either not make an effort to walk over to the net and give you the shuttle or if they do, they will just push it in your general direction so you have to bend down and pick up the shuttle. This supposedly is done to tire you out."

Anyway - we see to on the same train of thought now...

18. badplayer

badplayer Regular Member

in my case...whether playing with expereinced or new players.i ALWAYS make it a point to pick up the shuttlecock for myself and my partner as well as toss with my racket the cock to the people opposite our net.....even when the cock is sometime on their side but am standing nearest.....dont really care for my co players opinion whether am too nice a guy or an idiot...am after the extra exercise and mental discipline to do the things we dont like to do....

19. badplayer

badplayer Regular Member

pssst...in sports....girls lke the nice guys... :p

20. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    You know despite what bad or lame tactics players use it is best to be super nice to them so you rise above it and show you are not affected by their ploys.