Racket handle

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by daz24sg, Dec 13, 2004.

1. daz24sg

daz24sg Regular Member

Student
    Some of the wood of my MP 99's handle seems to have come off resulting in the grip looking and feeling a little awkward. does anybody have any remedy for it? Thanks in advance.:)

2. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

Wrap a overgrip on the wood very thin overgrip...can get at the indian store at queensway at 2.90 ashaway wan...den wrap a grip overit...can try insulation tape also

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

To prevent this happening again, put a layer of cling film (food wrap) between each layer of grip. That way, when you remove a grip, it does not damage the surface below. Cling film is extremely light, so it won't noticeably affect the balance point of your racket.

4. daz24sg

daz24sg Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the help Gollum but my handle has been damaged :( Your preventive measures wont help much now I suppose..

I tried wrapping an overgrip over it, but the problem is that my handle still feels a bit bumpy... The racket is still playable but just that it feels awkward holding it.

5. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

have u tried wood filler?

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Wood filler might add to the weight, try sanding the side down so it is flat then add an overgrip. If you use one of those random orbital sanders it should be done in no time.

7. AlmostRandom

AlmostRandom Regular Member

Cut section of handle from old broken racquet and glue into place, sanding to make even maybe?

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    You could just replace the entire wooden section from an old damaged racket if you have one

9. Play_Forever

Play_Forever New Member

Repair wood handle - use balsa wood

If the wood handle is cracked such that the shaft of racquet moves then you will need to reglue along the crack first. If it is only a cosmetic blemish then you can use balsa wood. Most shops that sell model airplanes will have all different sizes of balsa or even buy a cheap model airplane kit and cut out the shape to fill in the missing section of wood. Balsa wood is very light and easy to cut and not expensive. Many high end table tennis racquets have a center core of select balsa wood.

10. daz24sg

daz24sg Regular Member

Student
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

wow..... All of you sure have good methods for racket repair... I do not think I would attempt to such a feat because I totally suck at handywork like these methods reccomended. The last time I did such D.I.Y, it was the systematic destruction of a metal cupboard:D .Hopefully, a layer of tape over the wood should give it fair enough protection and cover up the bumps decently enough.