insole forensics...

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by kwun, Dec 13, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i just replaced the insole of my badminton shoes after they have gotten hopelessly worn. the insole usually isn't something that i "feel" when i move around in the court, but this pair has distinct feel (or lack of :p ) to them that makes them very noticable.. so i had to replace them.

anyway, can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong with my footwork from the worn-out pattern of my insole?

Attached Files:

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    You lack cushioning on your left front foot? :)

-dave

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    wow.... it looks like you really are 'on your toes' (actually one toe only :D )
    in your foot work.

the hole seems to be on the big toe only and not the other toes so perhaps they (big toes) are doing more of the work?

your right sole seems more worn off. perhaps it means that the right leg is carrying more of your load? :confused:

i dont think i have the expertise or qualification (if there is any) to give you a profesional opinion. so anything i've written so far is on a 'guessing' basis only.

jug

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Hrmms...I'll take a crack at this.

Right foot: It seems that when you push off with your right, your foot seems to be sideways (your toes facing the alley). Doing this causes those holes on one side because you use that side to push off.

Left foot: Your left foot seems to face forward the majority of the time and because of that, you are getting a deeper hole near the top rather than on the side like your right foot.

Based on the evidence, I suspect that you are a right handed player :p

#4 Joseph, Dec 13, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Just a question Kwun.. how often do you change your socks? And what kind of socks do you use? sometimes it may be the socks with our foot pressure that did the damage.

6. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    yonex should sell replacement insoles for their shoes

7. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    *LOL* Kwun, it looks like you walk on burning coals to practise foot speed! :p

Do you already know the answer to your footwork problem and are testing us, or are you asking for our opinions?

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I wouldnt say there was anything wrong with your footwork (well at least not from simply looking at your insoles!) I think it is perfectly normal wear. You are a right hander, as your lunging heel is worn through, and the pressure points where you push off from (main toe +ball) are normal too. You may be be pointing your feet inwards to create such wear on the toes, but it is actully better for speed to have your toes pointing inward slightly in the ready position (try it-you are much slower to move if you have your feet poiting outwards)

My look similar, only my exterior toe area wears out way before the insoles do, and the heel always before the toes (Because my footwork is bad, I lunge bigger, chase the game, and eventually lose :crying: )

9. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

From the picture, and in my inexpert opinion - it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with your footwork (assuming you are right footed)

10. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

What's the purpose of insoles?

What's the purpose of the insoles? To add more cushion? To prolong the life of the shoes?

I used insoles for street shoes in the past for more comfort because the soles were kind of hard (try some women's high heel shoes and you'll know what I mean :)).

11. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    kwun...

what gives you the impression that something is wrong with your footwork? if you dont mind me asking of course....

jug

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my coach! (or ex-coach)

i actually do not know exactly what is wrong with my footwork, but i am sure there are a lot to be improved upon.

i am not sure if the insole will be able to tell the story of how bad (or not bad) my footwork is. but i do find that it is an interesting wear pattern that badminton fans might comment on.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wear some model of Nike sports socks. i have 12 pairs of them which i rotate. i wear them to work as well as to badminton. they are quite a few months old and are starting to wear slightly thin but not to the point where they are down to the bare threads and start to get abbrasive.

14. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    You wear White sports socks to work!? Do you wear the BF t-shirt too?! :D

(actually I did on a dress down day!)

15. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Okay I've been watching a lot of C.S.I. hahaha~ so here's my best guess forensic analysis:

1. You might drag your left foot at the big toe area at times. Which means you might push off hard with the left foot but are not really picking it up enough, and thus drags behind the rest of your body.

2. The placement of your left foot is not always sideways when you push off. You push off with your left foot too straight as if you were starting a sprint.

3. Your right foot is placed down too straight as well when you land as the last step of a forward movement (as opposed to when you pushed off with your left).

4. Because you tend to drag your left foot behind your body, you adapt by accelerating more towards the end of your forward movements (as opposed to the beginning of the movement). So I'm guessing that although you might move forward quickly, you have a hard time stopping and recovering to move back.

Hahaha okay you can flog me now Kwun!!! One thing is for sure... I'll never show you my insoles hahahaha~ ;) :p :D.

16. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Looks odd since I never actually let my insoles get that worn out so it might be a sign that your right foot moves side to side at the heel since I've never seen a worn heel before. Otherwise it shows you are lunging properly since you should land on your heel then the rest of your foot.

The other two on the right are at the ball of your foot and toe which might indicate you are lunging and landing on a flat foot sometimes and the foot is sliding and causing friction inside the trainer.

They could be taken a number of ways just looking at the wear in the insole, now if you were to post a video of your footwork :D

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not sure if dragging my left foot will cause the wear in the sole like shown. i think it is more to do with i curl up my toes and uses that to help push forward. that versus using more the balls of the feet. the sharper toes vs the feet will explain why the hole is deeper at the toe area than the balls.

knowing that i am flat footed, there is less arch that exposes the balls of the feet, thus the toe goes in and help the effort.

and reviewing the feeling of my foot, that does sound right. question is whether people with normal arched foot uses the same amount of toe in their movement.

plausible explanation?

it's ok. i have turned off the smell transmission feature of the forum software.. :)

18. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    No toe movement to that extent for me I'm afraid, the only time my toes move is when my entire foot slides forward when I stop sharply and lunge carrying too much momentum, then I can feel them push into/against the leather toe area of the trainer where there is usually a small space.

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Mine are similar but different.
    I don't have holes under the toes, just light wear.
    I have a bigger hole under the ball of my right (racquet) foot
    similar wear for the right heel
    No holes on the left insole.
    more wear on the ball than the toe
    The left shoe wore out on the outside before the insole

I would say my feet have normal (maybe slightly high) arches

20. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    The insoles in my shoe displayed a similar pattern or wear, but I have less wear at the toes, but a little more at the "ball". Especially my left foot has more wear at the ball, but still less than the right one. I am a right-hander with high arched feet, by the way.

I am inclined to agree with timeless that you might be planting you left foot too straight on pushoff from the rear court going forward. This takes a little more effort, but it is also dangerous as it means that your achilles tendon is taking the whole load... :eek: Snap!