Nearly Twisted My Ankle With Hi-Tec Aegis

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Scott Kam, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Last night I nearly twisted my right ankle with the shoes when I was dashing (with correct and strong footwork) to the right front corner to return a drop shot. I felt something teribbly wrong with my right foot when I made the final step toward the net (I am a right-hand player) and then I check my right foot...

The foot was actually stepping part of sockliner and part of the upper lining!! My ankles have never been twisted and I don't want to have the first time.

Now I wear the shoes for walking but with great care.

I think it is the design of the shoes that caused the incident. And I regret to say it is. :mad:

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    sorry to hear that scott.

I have often found my self more suceptable to ankletwists whilst wearing Hitec shoes, my main gripe is that the heels are quite high profile, so tend to be unbalanced. They are however very very comfortable for just walking/messing around in.

3. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Hi James,

This was my first time and first game to wear Hi-Tec. With a tighter look (I wish I could have done so when I was being attracted at the store), I found two things with this model:

1. The shoe laces starts too much towards the heel side (i.e. like the lace design of Nike Presto series). The forefoot is too free no matter how hard you pull the lace

2. The width of the outsole is too narrow

Yes, it is very comfy shoes but it is also a very unsatble shoes by design

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Scott, it could be problem with the fit.

i find that if the shoes are too wide or narrow for your feet, it leads to the shoes rotating inside the shoes.

if too wide, then there are too much space and the shoes will not be tight enough and leads to foot movement.

if too narrow, the feet are resting on the side of the shoe instead of the bottom, that sometimes leads to movement as well.

i haven't tried the specific model you mentioned, but with my wide feet, i felt that my previous pair of Hi-Tec Adrenaline Pro was a pretty good fit for me.

5. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Yes, the Adrenaline's are good... I had a defective pair of those and sent them back to get the new model (Viper) which are really cool... except the shape of the bottom of the shoe seems to lend to falling apart, which is really annoying. Problems with hi-tec are constant in my case... i just got a new pair of Vipers so i could have something to wear on court while i send the others back, but the same thing is happening to the new ones...:-(

6. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Scott,

Very sorry to hear that. Is it better now?
    Have you heard of something like "ankle supporter/protector"?

My wife got a twist after another earlier twist 3 months ago. After using the "ankle supporter/protector", she recovers faster because of the extra-protection such that she's not so prone to getting another twist again.

7. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

So glad that there are responses even though we cannot directly locate this sub-forum in the menu at the left (it just doesn't exist when "Equipment" is being clicked).

I still think it is the "Nike Presto" kind of shoe lace system which causes the problem. It starts too late (when compared with the Evolution Pro series with the same outsole) at the middle of the foot. So the forefoot becomes too "free" even when I have tighten the shoe lace to the limit. My forefoots are also quite "free" when wearing Mizuno Wave Smash SR but don't get the same problem. Also the heel cushioning is too comfy and narrow to be unstable. I think it is the combination of the design faults which makes this failure.

I am now switching back to Mizuno and Asics.