Sliding on court

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Dec 14, 2004.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Whenever I play at a court my feet slide on the court. Anyone else have this problem??? Is it my shoes? I'm wearing Grid aura t8 sauconies, they're cross country running shoes.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It may be the shoes.. is either old or no more grooves. Well i suggest you to buy a new pair of badminton shoes. Running or cross country shoes are not suitable for badminton. What kind of surface do you play in? Wood? Concrete? Rubber on wood? Matted Flooring or Grass? Joke.

3. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    could be that the floor is dirty. check the floor and make sure its clean. if the floor is clean then it's probably the shoes.

4. bardo

bardo Regular Member

Programmer
    maybe ur self

other then the shoes or the court.. i think maybe its urself... i've wearing many types of shoes.. and sometimes.. its slide.. but then i realize i'm sliding.. so i make up more control on my leg so i'll not sliding furthermore... this needs good training on ur leg muscles.. it'll be comfortable with any shoes.. if u r pro player :D

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Hydrogen Hydroxide

Make sure that the soles of your shoes are free of dirt/dust. You can also dampen a towel (or paper towels) so that you can periodically apply a little water to the bottom of your shoes. Altho' an excessive amt of water will diminish your traction, a small amount of moisture will often improve your traction quite a lot.

6. buluayam

buluayam Regular Member

lol, you would be surprised with this, I'm playing in a local UK league and one of the venues I visited plays on carpet!!!!

Can you believe that? Not any special technology mumbo-jumbo courts or something, just plain old carpeting that had lines drawn on them. I think we (the visiting team) were lucky not to fall over and break our ankles playing!

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have played on two carpet courts. one in Malvern College in Worcestershire, the other in a gym in the Netherlands.

carpet court is actually not bad as long as the carpet is the short and packed type. they are still quite stiff but also soft enough to provide damping as well as good grips. the only bad part is when one falls down and scrape the surface, there is a potential for burning one's skin.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i strongly suggest that you buy some indoor court shoes instead of using cross country shoes. they are not designed for gripping indoor court surfaces and you are risking injury due to 1) slipping, and 2) ankle twisting

9. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I guess I didn't read the original post that closely... I thought that he was talking about cross training shoes. Often cross trainers are suitable for badminton but cross country or most running shoes should not be used.

Running shoes are not really designed for lateral movement & are not optimized for traction on most indoor surfaces.

#9 SystemicAnomaly, Dec 16, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  10. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

ya i agree....juz some moisture will improve alot!! try it...its gd