Newbie question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by supreme86, Dec 15, 2004.

1. supreme86

supreme86 Regular Member

undergraduate :)
    Hi all . Since I'm a newbie to badminton I"m not sure if this is being done so by all players commonly: i was thinking of a powerful smash (say, at the baseline) with the properties of a drop shot. the smash will drive the bird to the opponent side a in split second, but barely over the net . Since the opponent would probably have their knees bent around the middle court area and ready to receive the smash, would it outrage them if the shuttle goes just over the net at a high speed? :confused:

#1 supreme86, Dec 15, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  2. meteo

meteo Regular Member

will dance for free shuttles
    Easier said than done... :eek: I think its more important to worry about the angle and placement rather than how close it is to the net. The other problem is, if it hits the tape, it won't tumble over like a drop shot, but rather pop back up in the opponents smashing range.

3. supreme86

supreme86 Regular Member

undergraduate :)
    yes..so it has to be a in a very precise angle..

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    unfortunately, the badminton shuttle isn't a cruise missile. it is impossible, despite how skillful you are, to be able to control the shuttle such that it maintains the speed of a smash and then drops sharply and hugs the net like drop shot.

i suggest that since you are a beginner, you should go take a look at the video sharing forum, download and watch some videos. you will then see what professional players are capable of doing. anything far beyond what they can do are merely fantasy.

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Unless you have a remote controlled birdie, then it is quite possible :D

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Cut shots

If you impart heavy spin to the shuttle you can hit an overhead drop shot that is considerably faster than your average slow drop. Altho' you can get the shuttle to go fairly fast with this shot, it won't be a fast as a powerful smash.

We might think of a continuum of strokes between a soft drop, a faster cut and a flat power smash. There is a cut smash is that we might put somewhere between the cut drop and the flat power smash. This cut smash would proabably land deeper than the cut drop but shorter than a flat smash (since it has a lot more spin than the flat smash).

Altho' the cut drop & cut smash can travel pretty fast, neither one will be as fast as your fastest flat smash. However for the cut shots, the racket head speed can very well be as fast (maybe even faster) than it is for the flat smash. Since much of the racket head speed will go into putting extra spin on the shuttle, the forward velocity will not be as great and the shuttle will drop faster (due, in large part, to the extra spin).

7. goldmedal

goldmedal Regular Member

education
    now theres an idea for the cheaters in the game of badminton

8. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

but i think that u need not smash,...U can just make ur opponent run more or lob behind then give a net shot....

9. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

If you hit a really hard slice it can kinda :( do what your looking for... but it is quite difficult.