Beginner, need help on raquet selection

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by taffy, Dec 16, 2004.

1. taffy

taffy New Member

hi,
    I am a Junior in high school, and I am going to be joining my school's badminton team. freshman year we played it every day for 2 months in PE, and i really enjoyed it. my doubles team went undefeated i think, something like 8-0. we used crappy PE raquets, and of course all the kids on the badminton team have really nice raquets, my friend has the MP100. I was looking to spend a lot less, and i found these auctions that looked great for me, could you please tell me if they sound good?

thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=310&item=7121629827&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=310&item=7121063336&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

2. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    ok since you are new..lets see...any racket that feels light will be the best.to tell you the truth the mp rackets are all veri expensive to me.and try check out the prices of any shop near-by.if you have time you should come around asia here.you will find all the rackets here very cheap.

3. taffy

taffy New Member

heh, im not really looking to spend $1100 on a plane ticket to thailand to save $100 on a raquet :D my friend who got the MP100 got it when he went to indonesia. i want a raquet that will last me through college if i choose to play intramural then. the V60 looks nice but the seller has little feedback.

4. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    i dun think u need the fanciful and highly-acclaimed racquets as of now... the mp100, i tried before, is quite a demanding racquet...

so choose one that you r most comfortable with instead. maybe u can try the Carbonex series, in which they are durable (most of them will be there for u as long as poz), cheap (below S$100, dunno the exact pricing for your n.america region) and well, highly-acclaimed too.

a heavier racquet in the 2U weight range may help to train your strength more... but that's wholly my opinion. depends on personal preference and physique.

you probably won't need to get a new racquet. a used one may just do the job as well... ;)

#4 tcstay, Dec 16, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My suggestion is to shop around local clubs / stores (badminton special ones, not big chains), and seek advice from the store staff. More important, demo the rackets, and make sure u like it before purchase.

Big name like Yonex usually has more selections, but kinda more expensive. If you don't care too much about the brand name, you might also need to consider the less known brand (i.e. SOTX, Winex, Yangyang, BlackKnight, Wilson, Prince, etc).

6. Dot-tom

Dot-tom New Member

I agree with LazyBuddy, and you can also find some links around the forum for shops in the SF area. Try out as many racquets as you can :D to find what you like before buying. Best of luck in your racquet search and badminton career. :)

7. taffy

taffy New Member

thanks a bunch everybody, for tons of help :)

8. taffy

taffy New Member

did the rackets i post look legit? are the dupes only for yonex?

9. mkoch

mkoch New Member

Have you bought a racket yet. I have two very good Yang Yang rackets, TM8K that I can sell you at a very good price. Contact me at mkoch@nc.rr.com

10. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    Hmm.... a racket that can last... for me the only well known indestructable racket is SOTX woven series(power boss series) ... and also very good.... however it can easily cost MUCH more then yonex AT800 if u r looking for high-ended ones... but i believe many ppl are very satisfied with their woven 7 at a very reasonable price...

11. taffy

taffy New Member

do they make fake black knights? or is that only a yonex deal?

12. mkoch

mkoch New Member

It could be a fake. Mostly just Yonex, but you never know. Personally I would stay away from something like that, and just deal with someone on the board. Give me a shout...MK...

13. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    ya i agree you dont need to get the mp100.dont really liek to use it for defending even i am not good enough to use that.its quite demanding.

14. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i haven't seen or heard of any fake black knight racquets, and chances are, there aren't any...

most of the lesser brands (lesser in name, not quality), tend to specialize towards one design of racquet, while yonex tends to have the largest selection that spans all styles, and has more choices that can be characterized as well-rounded.

your best bet would be to try out the yonex ones first, and when you figure out what you feel more comfortable with most, or like best, you can start hunting out the specialized ones as you develop a particular play style.