Where to get racket in Changi?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by lsk_rulez, Dec 16, 2004.

1. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

I will have a 4 hour layover in Singapore in Jan. Is this enough time to go get a new racket :) ? If so, where do I go (must be easily accessible from Changi).

I am particularly interested in trying the Price More 85 (can't get it in the US).

2. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    hmmm... u may have to travel to the central part, where u will most likely get the best prices...

or if u dun mind the few ten dollars difference, u may wish to take bus 29 or 19 from changi to tampines, then u make your way to any of the two badminton shops, one in the office building directly opposite the bus interchange (we call it sintec shop) and the Flymax shop inside the Tampines Sports Hall itself.

both shops sell grips and strings at very reasonable prices too. and quite a variety to choose from.

the sintec shop opens from 11am to 10pm, whereas the flymax shop i'm not too sure, only know that it usually opens earlier than 11am...

3. klc28

klc28 Regular Member

With four hours in SG you can do quite a bit...
    Unfortunately, you don't mention what time your plane lands and your connecting flight leaves.

Assuming it is not rush hour my timeline would be:

00.15 - Disembark and get in a taxi.
    00.45 - Arrive at Bras Basah Complex.
    01.15 - Chosen my rackets and ask for them to be strung in 1 hr. Cross the road head for Long Bar at Raffles Hotel and order a Singapore Sling (where it was invented).
    02.00 - Head back to the shop and wait for my rackets.
    02.15 - Pick up my rackets and get a taxi at Bugis Junction nr Isetan.
    03.00 - Arrive back at airport for check in.

You may want to save time by not having the racket strung, or using that time for more browsing.

Rushed?....you bet!
    Better than hanging around an airport?...Oh yeah!

Do not try this if this schedule takes you into rush hour. I would say...not after 2pm on a weekday. Taxi's in CBD after 4.30pm can be difficult to find unless you book one first.

#3 klc28, Dec 17, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  4. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    oops, haha, with my previous reply, it's my mistake that i regard the thread starter as referring to Changi as 'changi village' area...
    my apologies...

yes, u can do a lot of stuff once u get out of airport coz singapore is really that small....

5. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I think going to Tampines/Bras Basah are both possible if you have 4 hours to spare - not 4 hours between flights....otherwise.. I think the stress is too much :eek:

Why not call in advance ? I noticed you wanted a specific prince racket.. perhaps one of us here can help you ensure that the shop you goto actually has the racket you want....

goto www.yellowpages.com.sg and find out which shop you want and call ahead...

but having a drink at the long bar IS NICE.....

lemme know if you need help;) ;)

6. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

Thanks everyone. The layover is 4 hours plane to plane. It will be 1:10pm - 5:20pm. My check in luggage would already be checked in, so no problem there, and I can ask for the boarding pass at my departure point (Jakarta). I will minimize my carry on (it is amazing what we do just for getting a racket), and I don't need the racket strung (not enough time anyway).

Realistically, I figure I only have 2.5hours to do the whole thing (airport - taxi -shop -taxi - airport). That should be enough, isn't it? Isn't it? Please?

My other option is to buy the racket in Jakarta, but it is my understanding that Prince rackets are not popular there (haven't been there for eons now), so I don't think I will find one.

#6 lsk_rulez, Dec 18, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I'm guessing you're taking SQ from Indo to LA??..Hmm, 4 hrs between flights is probably a bit tight and you might be rushed(esp. if you run into unexpected situations)..
    Actually I did the same plan as you recently. However I took the non-stop SQ flight from Indo(Sby) to U.S., thus I have to stay overnight in S'pore. I stayed at a hotel on Orchard Rd., went to look for badminton rackets on the first day, shopping first in Takashimaya shopping center(the prices there are very expensive). Wasn't satisfied, I then looked in the yellow book for any sports store in the area. The next day, before leaving for the airport, I took the train, went to the Peninsula shopping complex, shopped around for about 1-2 hrs..After that took the train again to go back to the hotel and soon took off for the airport. I'll say the travel time from city center to the airport is around 25-30 min, without traffic or major delays.
    Overall, yah, taking a taxi is the way to go if you have some extra money to spend. But I'll ask around the guys in here first, esp. those who live in S'pore to help you locate/find a store which carries your racket. That way you don't waste time going around.

Or if you don't like the idea, then might as well buy it in Jkt..:).

8. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    it's possible to travel to bras basah within 2.5 hrs... don't really need much time to shop around if you know what you want in mind...

isk_rulez maybe can try bras basah Ranking for yonex prices, Queensway shopping centre 2nd level indian/malay shop (Newlink Sports) for prince racquets.

and of coz! Takashimaya stuff ranks among the most expensive shopping in singapore... haha! coz their stuff are oh-so-branded-and-high-class...

9. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    ok yeah thats right.i dont really know much shops ok but ive travelled a great deal.ok lets say 4hrs.realistically you can only go to tampines then you wont be in a rush.bras basah u can try if you take a taxi.ok but lets say you go to tampines because its more likely.hello can anyone just tell him to take the mrt.its called the amss rapid transit.our local train service.i think to tampines its around 15mins plus waitng time.ok so maybe you have to walk to the station in the airpot so you are lost or you walk too slow so we take another 15min off that.that will be half an hour.when you are in tampines i recomend you going to the sintec shop(our local brand).so maybe another half an hour waking around there and searching for it.an hour gone.by this time you should be looking through what you want.we give you another 45min for this alright.so checking back the time its already been 1hr45min.by this time you should be a little clearer on how to go to the tampines station so another 15min.2hrs gone already.waiting for the train and going back another 15min.and you should be back.giving you an extra 1hr to claim your boarding pass and get to the gate.hopefully you should get to the gate on time.because you also need time to walk to the gate and clear the security check too.good luck.hope this helps.

10. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    you can pm me if you want to know a little more ok.

11. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    for ouyr prince racket i dont know where to get it.i only know prince rackets are sold in artic sports in sembawang sports.but that would not be that near.why dont you get your supply in indonesia its really much cheaper there.i just went there for a family gathering there and stocked up my supply of shuttles and bad shoes there.