Driving me nuts.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sakura, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Sakura

Sakura Regular Member

You'll never guess
    Everyone, I need some advice/help on dealing with a very tight to the net cross court. I suspect that the problem starts with my first drop shot. I drop straight along the alley, then he returns with this cross court shot. Then I dribble the bird over the net (straight back), but then the cross court shot comes again, going the other way! This will continue until the angle is so sharp that I can't deal with it because it's beyond my reach and a decent clear is not possible for me. I'm shorter than the net and have a difficult time chasing these very close to the net shots. Any suggestions?:crying:

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

don't do that then, lift it deep to the back.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

or the drop shot is inappropriate or too loose/too slow

4. meteo

meteo Regular Member

will dance for free shuttles
    One way is to make sure that you aren't tumbling the birdie when you do the straight redrop. Simply push the birdie slightly back. A lot of netplayers tend to stick too closely to the net (myself included) and it'll throw them off. It sounds like a weak return, but its harder for them to do a tight crossdrop. Its also harder for them to do a tumbling straight redrop, and most likely it'll make them lob it back.

You can also practice and make the birdie tumble and still push it back a little. Of course that takes practice and good footwork to get into the correct position in time.

The last way is to simply intercept it midway during the crossdrop.

5. Sakura

Sakura Regular Member

You'll never guess
    Thanks

Thanks for the tips. Certainly a few things to try and train on in the new year.:D