Stringing Machine Type Recommendation.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Quasimodo, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Hello all. Just a quick question: which type of stringing machine would you recommend for personal use, drop weight or crank? More specifically, which type would give the most accurate tension and is easiest to use? I wish I can afford an electronic/computerised machine, but they're just out of my price range.

Thanks in advance for your response.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. If u want the cheapest possible, it should be drop weight. Certain models are even below US$100.

2. Drop weight can give u the consistency in tension, unless u seriously damaged the weight.

3. Crank machine allows u to pre-string then tension all pieces all together. Drop weight does not. However, if just limited for personal usage (less than 1-2 per day), I don't think the extra 30 min makes that much difference.

3. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    If you looking for cheaper, accurate tension plus pre-string => drop weight.
    Crank => more $$, faster ( no pre-string ) & easy. Try Eagnas Easy-3. $209. light weight. http://www.eagnas.com/easy3.html

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Isn't that the other way around??? :confused:

I mean, pre-string is string the racket without tensioning before mounting it on the string machine. :rolleyes:

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I don't see why you can't pre-string with drop-weight or crank.
    I have pre-strung mains and crosses with my drop weight

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    After think about it twice, I think I should not draw the conclusion base on the machine type. The determine factor, maybe is whether it has fixed clamp? :rolleyes:

7. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    SORRY about the confusion. I mean PRE-STRETCH. (NO PRE-STRING)

Drop weight give you constant pull ( PRE-STRETCH ).
    Crank machine no constant pull. But with especial technique can approach pre-stretch.

8. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

This may be a little off topic but what is the advantage of prestringing both mains and crosses before tensioning? I have a 6-point drop weight machine and have tried prestringing the whole racket once. What a pain to tension when it comes to the crosses. Had a lot of difficulty pulling the cross string out for tbe next pull from the friction from the mains. Normally you would be able to stretch the string out as you pull the string through to eliminate some of the friction. Couldn't do that if all the crosses are already there. Am I doing something wrong?

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe u can still use hand to pull the cross, right before need to tension it. This should eliminate the problem for too much friction, even before reaching the point of "extra force" from the machines.

I think the main advantage for pre-string is to save the effort for the "shared gromments". Without pre-string method, putting the cross through the shared gromments with already highly tension main, could be quite of a task.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't understand your problem. Whether you prestring before tensioning or not should make no difference in pulling the cross string, as the mains have already been tensioned in both cases. Maybe you forgot to leave a string loop at the start of the cross string, which would then make it rather messy to pull the cross if you prestring.
    When pulling the cross string across the tensioned mains, always pull it at an angle, a triangle-like pattern, to reduce friction.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Right on the key point!!! Very good explanation! :)

12. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

You're probably right in that I don't think I left enough string. I do pull the crosses at an angle but found that the other strings were getting in the way. However, if the only advantage is treading a string into an occupied grommet, it's probably not worth prestringing as there are only a couple of holes that I sometimes have trouble with.

Thanks for the clarification.

13. extremepower

extremepower Regular Member

Help badminton players to enjoy badminton and affo
    stringer

I use hawk 20. Initially, I got frustrated with it. Then managed to get used to the monster. It is a drop weight model. The clip is friendly.
    rgds

14. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Anyone here have an easy 3? What are your opinions on this? I was looking around for a good manual crank machine, and i noticed that the easy 3, out of all manufacturers, is the cheapest one out there...

And i'm sure others may have noticed this, but on the Eagnas site, they denounce other brands (Mutual Power, Silent Partner, even Yonex, lol) as 'copies' of their technology. But if you look on the accused sites, they have similar disclaimers, claiming that Eagnas are the ones who ripped them off. Anyone know which is which?

And more importantly, if they're all clones of eachother, does it even matter who is the original, so as long as the quality is the same? (has anyone tried different brands who can compre them objectively?)

15. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I too would like some info on the Easy-3...please and thank-you.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The Eagnas Easy 3 stringing machine is cheap probably because it is the badminton only machine with a combination of a flying clamp and a fixed swivel clamp, which is a recipe for uneven mains tension on both sides. The side of the mains that is clamped by the flying clamp will lose more tension than the other side of the mains that is clamped by the fixed swivel clamp. However, if you get another wider flying clamp (wider than the Yonex flying clamp) to use together with the one that comes with the machine, then presto, you have a machine that is as good as one with two fixed swivel clamps. It will also be the badminton only machine with the performance of fixed swivel clamps, shaming many badminton only machines with prestigious names and sky-high prices to boot.
    If you are mechanically minded you will find the Eagnas Easy 3 side supports to be superior to the V-shaped or K-shaped side supports of the bigger Eagnas or other machines. The reason is that V-shaped and K-shaped side supports provide only support against the outward expansion of the racquet frame when stringing the crosses. They do not provide any support against the inward collapse of the frame. The Eagnas Easy 3 provides for both because its side supports are like clamps that immobilizes the frame. Because of this, the side supports of the Eagnas Easy 3 need constant tightening at a rate of once for every two cross strings that you tension. The swivel clamp requires new washers as the clamping and tightening of the swivel clamp, especially at very high tension, will break up washers.
    This machine is capable of stringing racquets at extremely high tension that 2-point monsters cannot do.

17. robinhood47

robinhood47 Regular Member

I got mine thru Eepaks recommendation. No regrets. Two things i forgot when i order, a tension guage and one more flying clamp. I got it later so have to pay extra postage.

18. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I was wondering...everyone says 2 points can't take too much tension, but the pro's all use 22 - 36 lbs and all their racquets are strung with 2 point machines?

The picture I attached is Jennifer Lee and Cherry Ching Ng. They were representing Yonex International as an official stringer at the 2004 World Junior Championships. The machine there I see its a 2 point machine with a Yonex logo... can anyone tell about this machine? and also if 2 point machines are recommended even if i may string up to about 28 lbs?

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      237.4 KB
      Views:
  19. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Thanks a bundle Taneepak and Robinhood, your info's helped a lot.

20. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

look closer
    looks like they have side supports (white ones)
    e.g. go down a little bit from the flying clamp on the machine on the right