endurance

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Dec 21, 2004.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Should i work on my endurance more or focus on my footwork instead. Because i find myself tired after less than 1 game. I lose my focus and can't play at my max. However i run 3-5 miles on weekdays because of cross country. And i can run a mile under 6 minutes. Is it my footwork or do I need to have even more endurance? I've just started and i'm probably not the most agile person, i'm really slow in sprints. Thanks in advance.

2. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I started to run stairs to help me with this. I run two at a time - as many as I can as fast as I can - I go until my legs die on me. Then I rest for 15-30 seconds and then keep going until I reach the top. I'll rest a bit at the top/stretch then head back down and go again.

Cross cuntry running is good for cardio but your leg muscles get conditioned to continual, moderate output as compared to badminton. Wind sprints will help this - so will shadow drills and weight lifting. You need to work on short burst/high energy movement. Footwork drills 25 - 30 seconds with 15 seconds rest bewteen sets is a good start.

3. tangyeefun

tangyeefun Regular Member

Thats true man. I think it's better if you do sprinting, or very fast footwork for many many sets over half an hour or so. Cos these will increase your fast twitch muscle fibers which are required in badminton. Cross country running only increases your slow twitch muscles fibre. With more slow twitch muscle fibre and less fast twitch ones, you would not be able to withstand fast movement like jumping and sprinting. You will get tired fast even though you might think you have the endurance. It's like asking a marathon runner to carry weights in the gym. I don't think the runner can even endure 5 sets of heavy bench press.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Incorrect footwork and high centre of gravity leads to tiredness earlier. The reason is inefficiency of movement.

And you cannot play your max throughout the game unless it is a very short game.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Or rather, it is difficult to play your max for a whole match (i.e. at least two games), unless the rallies are very short.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

or you increase the time between rallies

Running (further than 400m) uses different energy systems than badminton.
    In general, running is aerobic, and badminton is anaerobic.
    The two different energy systems need to be trained differently

see www.nismat.org/physcor/energy_supply.html