Chong Wei on course after scare

Discussion in '2004 Tournaments' started by jump_smash, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Is there a website?

From Star, http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/12/22/sports/9723567&sec=sports
    Wednesday December 22, 2004

Chong Wei on course after scare

BY LIM TEIK HUAT
    IPOH: National number one Lee Chong Wei overcame an early scare from former national discard Ismail Saman before winning his opening men's singles match in the Proton-EON Badminton National Grand Prix Finals at Indera Mulia Stadium last night.

The Penang-born shuttler had to claw his way back from a game down to beat Ismail 6-15, 15-4, 15-3.

The 22-year-old is now virtually assured of his place in the semi-finals tomorrow.

He only needs to beat Kuala Lumpur player Raymond Steven today to ensure he finishes as the Group A winner.

All the group winners in the men's singles competition qualify for the semi-final.

Chong Wei, who remains unbeaten in the local circuit this year, did not play in the morning because of the withdrawal of 2001 GP Finals champion James Chua.

“That could be the reason why I took longer to get myself warmed up.

“But once I got to play my normal game, I knew I could have it wrapped up,†said the player, who is ranked world number eight.

The victory will boost his confidence now, especially when the competition gets to the crucial stage.

“I am looking forward to confirming my place in the semi-finals,†he added.

Wong Choong Hann and Mohd Hafiz Hashim are also virtually assured of their places in the last four.

Choong Hann, the runner-up in the World Championships in Birmingham last year, secured his second win in Group D by beating Chong Wei Feng 15-6, 15-1.

Choong Hann had chalked up a 15-8, 15-9 win over Mohd Nazaree Ahmad in the morning.

Hafiz, the 2003 All-England champion, was also in convincing form in Group B. He beat K. Yogendran 15-6, 15-1 and then romped home against Lim Kenn, winning 15-9, 15-7.

Taiwan Open finalist Kuan Beng Hong also looked set to qualify from Group C after overcoming Yeoh Kay Bin 15-13, 15-2 last night.

Beng Hong had earlier struggled to beat Chong Li Qun 12-15, 15-5, 15-8.

In the girls' singles competition, Bukit Jalil Sports School's Lydia Cheah scored an upset 11-8, 11-3 win over Uber Cupper K. Sugita.

It was the second win for the 15-year-old. She defeated Amelia Anscelly 11-3, 5-11, 11-1 earlier in the day.

#1 jump_smash, Dec 21, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Malaysian National Grand Prix Finals

My guess would be for Hafiz to beat Lee CW in the final. For the other events, it's as good as walkover for the favourites. Don't know what's happening in the MD event, though.

SEMI-FINALS

Men's singles: Lee Chong Wei vs Kuan Beng Hong; Mohd Hafiz Hashim vs Wong Choong Hann.

Women's singles: Woon Sze Mei vs Anita Raj Kaur; Lydia Cheah vs Julia Wong.

Women’s doubles: Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui vs Julia Wong-Anita Raj Kaur; Mooi Hing Yau-Ooi Sock Ai vs See Phui Leng-Fong Chew Yen.

Mixed doubles: Koo Kien Keat-Wong Pei Tty vs Mohd Fairuzizuan-Ooi Sock Ai; Mohd Zakry Latif-Chin Eei Hui vs Gan Teik Chai-Fong Chew Yen.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    From The Star http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/12/24/sports/9741849&sec=sports

Underdogs shine in National Badminton Grand Prix

BY LIM TEIK HUAT
    IPOH: Former All-England champion Mohd Hafiz Hashim qualified for his first men's singles final of the National Badminton Grand Prix Finals when he outwitted Wong Choong Hann in a thrilling battle at the Indera Mulia Stadium last night.

And it was a night of the underdogs as Lydia Cheah and Anita Raj Kaur surprisingly qualified for the women's singles final as well, leaving favourites Woon Sze Mei and Julia Wong by the wayside (see page 59).

Hafiz, who is enjoying a surge in confidence following some decent performances at the international arena, defeated Choong Hann 15-14, 15-9 and will face two-time champion Lee Chong Wei in the final today.

Chong Wei overcame a gritty challenge from Kuan Beng Hong in the other semi-final to win 15-10, 6-15, 15-1.

But it was Hafiz's duel with Choong Hann that kept the spectators glued to their seats.

Choong Hann was in control from the start of the first game and was leading 7-3 at one point. But he started making unforced errors and allowed Hafiz to creep back in to force duece.

Choong Hann decided to go for broke but lost the gamble, with Hafiz taking the first game 15-14.

It was a cat-and-mouse game next between Hafiz and Choong Hann. Both were fighting point for point until 9-9 but Choong Hann then slipped while chasing a return from Hafiz.

The Kelantan-born player took advantage and went on the attack to seal victory with an overhead smash, which his rival returned to the net.

Hafiz said he decided to change tactics and play a speedier game.

“Choong Hann also fell and I think his rhythm was broken after that. It was very close at that time,†said Hafiz.

The 21-year-old Hafiz said he was happy to make his first appearance in the final.

Against Chong Wei, Hafiz said he had a 50-50 chance. Hafiz has lost twice to Chong Wei – in the finals of the Malacca and Selangor Opens this year.

Said Choong Hann on his defeat: “I was in control for most of the first game. I thought I could take him on but I made some silly mistakes towards the end,†said Choong Hann, the runner-up in the World Championships in Birmingham last year.

Despite having to bow out in the semi-finals, the 27-year-old was not disappointed.

“I played the game I wanted to. Now, I have to polish up my game further and make it more solid. I have a lot of catching up to do,†he said.

Chong Wei, too, has a lot to do if he wants to secure a third national title today.

“I did not play that well today. I was a bit slow. Maybe, I am feeling the effects of playing competitions non-stop. But I think I still have enough energy to play one more match,†he said.

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    From The Star http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/12/24/sports/9741513&sec=sports

Young girls serve stunner Lydia, Anita upset the odds to set up final clash

BY LIM TEIK HUAT
    IPOH: No one gave them a ghost of a chance, considering that Woon Sze Mei was a shoo-in to claim a third National Badminton Grand Prix Finals title.

But yesterday, unheralded young shuttlers Lydia Cheah and Anita Raj Kaur tore apart the formbook with stunning upsets to qualify for the final, which will be played at Indera Mulia Stadium today.

Anita showed impeccable control and form to sweep aside Sze Mei, taking just 30 minutes to win 11-4, 11-4.

Then, 15-year-old Lydia, who had the support of her parents who came from Kuala Lumpur, responded by brushing aside Julia Wong 114-, 6-11, 11-4 to become the youngest women's singles finalist.

The 27-year-old Sze Mei, who had won the Malacca and Selangor Opens this year, just could not find her way into the game.

Anita, 18, had only entered the national team early this year but asserted her superiority by leading 7-0 and 9-0 in the first and second games respectively before Sze Mei gain the first point.

A delighted Anita, who immediately called her parents Mohinder Singh and Jasmal Kaur to convey the good news, said she did not expect to play so well.

“I did not make any mistakes today. My shots were much better than in the group matches and I think she did not know where I was aiming,†said Anita, who played in the World Junior Championships in Vancouver two months ago.

Anita said qualifying for the GP Finals is her biggest achievement to date.

“I lost to Sze Mei in the semi-finals of the Selangor Open. I certainly did not expect this result,†she said.

Sze Mei, the national champion in 1997 and 1999 but now the number national two behind Wong Mew Choo, admitted she was off-form yesterday.

Mew Choo did not defend her title because she is currently undergoing rehabilitation for her injuries.

“I was tired because I was playing in the mixed doubles as well,†said Sze Mei.

The lanky Lydia, who is 1.72m tall, was giggling with joy as she went up to greet her parents in the stands.

“I played badly in the second game but I knew I could seal it if I tightened up my game in the decider.

“Going into the final ... I certainly never thought of it because this is the first time I qualified for the GP Finals,†said Lydia, who idolises China's reigning champion Zhang Ning.

Lydia will bid to take her fairytale run further today against Anita.

She has beaten Anita before – in the qualifying round of the Malaysian Open this year. If she can do it again, she will become the youngest ever national champion.

Results:

(All semi-finals)

Men

Singles: Lee Chong Wei bt Kuan Beng Hong 15-10, 6-15, 15-1; Mohd Hafiz Hashim bt Wong Choong Hann 15-14, 15-12.

Doubles: Koo Kien Keat-Chan Chong Ming bt Chew Choon Eng-Gan Teik Chai 15-6, 7-15, 15-9; Mohd Fairuzizuan-Lin Woon Fui bt Mohd Zakry-Jack Koh 15-11, 13-15, 15-6.

Women

Singles: Anita Raj Kaur bt Woon Sze Mei 11-4, 11-4; Lydia Cheah bt Julia Wong 11-6, 3-11, 11-4.

Doubles: Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty bt Anita Raj Kaur-Julia Wong 15-1, 15-5; Fong Chew Yen-See Phui Leng bt Mooi Hing Yau-Ooi Sock Ai 15-12, 15-10.

Mixed doubles: Koo Kien Keat-Wong Pei Tty bt Mohd Fairuzizuan-Ooi Sock Ai 15-8, 15-9;

Gan Teik Chai-Fong Chew Yen bt Mohd Zakry-Chin Eei Hui 15-12, 15-5.

(Friday's finals starting from 3pm)

Men's singles: Lee Chong Wei vs Mohd Hafiz Hashim.

Men’s doubles: Koo Kien Keat-Chan Chong Ming vs Mohd Fairuzizuan-Lin Woon Fui.

Women's singles: Anita Raj Kaur vs Lydia Cheah.

Women's doubles: Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty vs Fong Chew Yen-See Phui Leng.

Mixed doubles: Koo Kien Keat-Wong Pei Tty vs Gan Teik Chai-Fong Chew Yen.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Finals results:

Lee Chong Wei bt Hafiz 15-7, 15-3
    Anita Raj Kaur (18-year-old) bt Lydia Cheah (15-year-old) 13-10, 11-9
    Koo Kien Keat-Chan Chong Ming bt Lin Woon Fui-Mohd Fairuzizuan 15-8, 15-13
    Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui bt See Phui Leng-Fong Chew Yen 17-14, 15-5
    Gan Teik Chai-Fong Chew Yen bt Koo Kien Keat-Wong Pei Tty 12-15, 17-14, 15-7

Notes (gathered from news reports in http://www.thestar.com.my):
    Anita Raj Kaur is the first ever non-Chinese (as in Chinese race) winner.
    Lydia Cheah is the youngest ever finalist.
    Wong Mew Choo, the nation's biggest hope is out injured (on a 6-month layoff apparently).