User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default singles player/doubles player?

    hello. when i was in primary school team several years ago, the teacher
    in charge decided to field singles player and doubles play according to
    how well they can play in the singles game.

    it is just a matter of better players fielded into singles event and the
    remaining pairing up into doubles team.
    (if given a choice, all want to play in the singles game)

    when forming a team from start, is there any rule (of thumb) or judgement
    criteria to choose singles player or doubles player?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California, USA
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    my coach told me to be a singles player, stamina is the basis for it all. Without stamina, you won't be able to back up your power, form, speed, or control. Tactics is one of the things that are considered to be adv. and should be improved after all the other 4 items have been worked on.

    All the other qualities like reflexes, consistency and good defence can be what to look for in a doubles player

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In single games, u r on ur own, therefore, all the fundamental factors apply in the game, and stamina is a must.

    It's ok to do a "blind" selection at the beginning, as ur coach did. Of course, the ones with the better fundamental should present the singles at this moment, when noone knows "who's who".

    However, the roster should not be permentally locked forever. If a player is skillful, and willing to use his head, but lack of stamina (i.e. injury, physcial condition), s/he should be moved to doubles team, to be more effective.

    Make sure never consider playing single is a promotion, while going to double team means demoted. They are just different games, which focus on different needs.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Criteria

    Quote Originally Posted by bigfatfish
    hello. when i was in primary school team several years ago, the teacher in charge decided to field singles player and doubles play according to how well they can play in the singles game.

    it is just a matter of better players fielded into singles event and the
    remaining pairing up into doubles team.

    when forming a team from start, is there any rule (of thumb) or judgement
    criteria to choose singles player or doubles player?
    Yes, I've seen this same absurd criteria for setting up high school teams for both badminton and tennis here in the US. There really should be a different way to chose doubles players. In fact, for both sports, singles players often do not make very good doubles players.

    Doubles often requires quicker reflexes (for both sports) a higher percentage of the time. Shot selection differs for badminton doubs... more smashes, pushes (& sometimes drives). Doubles players also have to understand the intricacies of doubles strategy.. it is more complex than singles strategy. You must understand that teamwork is of paramount importance in doubs. If you put 2 singles players together as a team & they continue to employ singles strategies, they will always lose to a good doubles team.

    Rotation makes doubles play more complex as well. You meed to be able to cover the court as a team.

    Doubles players have to play smarter... they must realize that every shot that they make can have an impact on their partner as well as themself. If either your shot selection or your stroke execution is substandard, you can make your partner look bad.

    Some of the best athletes that I've seen in both tennis & badminton have actually been doubles players. However, it is usually the singles players that get the most recognition.
    Last edited by SystemicAnomaly; 12-23-2004 at 03:55 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Rotation & teamwork

    With intermediate 3 players, of roughly equal ability, playing a 2-on-1 game, the single usually has an advantage over the doubles team. Even if you give the single player only 1 serve, as long as he has decent stamina & adequate footwork, he wil often do very well against the doubles pair. This is because it is more difficult to coordinate 2 players (teamwork) & get a proper rotation than it is for the single player (who doesn't have to worry about a partner).

    The doubles team has a bit of disadvantage with the added confusion factor (particulary if the single player places the shuttle so that it is not always obvious which doulbes player should take the reply). This phenomenon illustrates the one of the complexities of doubles & the need for teamwork (with good shot selection & proper rotation).

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    but if the doubles team gets on the attack, they will have one at the net and one at the back, so eventually they should hold the advantage....as long as they are willing to co-operate and not try to take all the glory for themselves

    the singles play will have to have a heck of a smash and speed to get any points apart from errors

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    With intermediate 3 players, of roughly equal ability, playing a 2-on-1 game, the single usually has an advantage over the doubles team. Even if you give the single player only 1 serve, as long as he has decent stamina & adequate footwork, he wil often do very well against the doubles pair. This is because it is more difficult to coordinate 2 players (teamwork) & get a proper rotation than it is for the single player (who doesn't have to worry about a partner).

    The doubles team has a bit of disadvantage with the added confusion factor (particulary if the single player places the shuttle so that it is not always obvious which doulbes player should take the reply). This phenomenon illustrates the one of the complexities of doubles & the need for teamwork (with good shot selection & proper rotation).

    Sorry, but I think your logic is flawed. There is no way the dbl team will lose unless the single player is at least 2 cuts above the 2 dbl players.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outlah
    Sorry, but I think your logic is flawed. There is no way the dbl team will lose unless the single player is at least 2 cuts above the 2 dbl players.
    i pretty much agree with him...if the 2 players had no prior experience working as a team, the single player would win a lot of points before they 2 would get their act together if the level of all 3 is the same.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outlah
    Sorry, but I think your logic is flawed. There is no way the dbl team will lose unless the single player is at least 2 cuts above the 2 dbl players.
    sorry but i approve it all the way. Last years when i played mixt we often player 2 on one against another guy and whe rushed hard to beat him. We are a very good mixt team, we always play men double and mixt double together and we get good result even in double. But 2 on one it's harder than when we played with the same guy with a partner. I don't you why, maybe psychologic, let him chance. But i can assure that it's very confusing to play 2 on one

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    does it mean that taufik alone can beat a pair like chen hong and lindan in doubles rules?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benasp
    sorry but i approve it all the way. Last years when i played mixt we often player 2 on one against another guy and whe rushed hard to beat him. We are a very good mixt team, we always play men double and mixt double together and we get good result even in double. But 2 on one it's harder than when we played with the same guy with a partner. I don't you why, maybe psychologic, let him chance. But i can assure that it's very confusing to play 2 on one
    mmm surely if u just hit it into the spaces u'll be alright?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 2 Singles vs. Doubles

    In my experience the best all around players are always the singles players. Also the best double players are able to play singles very well. In one instance my buddy and I (two best singles) played the top doubles in our region and we beat them. We also played other doubles teams of less calibre and destroyed them very easily. I have seen many excellent singles players shift to doubles and do better than doubles players. I have also seen the best doubles players able to easily defeat good singles players. The best players can be always selected by singles because they have the stamina, power, skill, and smarts to be beat another players and there is no partner covering your weaknesses.
    Singles is the true judge of ability and the best way to pick a team because your best players are the ones able to succeed in singles.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2005singles
    In my experience the best all around players are always the singles players. Also the best double players are able to play singles very well. In one instance my buddy and I (two best singles) played the top doubles in our region and we beat them. We also played other doubles teams of less calibre and destroyed them very easily. I have seen many excellent singles players shift to doubles and do better than doubles players. I have also seen the best doubles players able to easily defeat good singles players. The best players can be always selected by singles because they have the stamina, power, skill, and smarts to be beat another players and there is no partner covering your weaknesses.
    Singles is the true judge of ability and the best way to pick a team because your best players are the ones able to succeed in singles.
    I HIGHLY disagree, there are some really, really good single players, that play doubles as if it were singles. Coverage, shot selection, and TEAMWORK is very different in the two disciplines. Of course, not that they're bad doubles players if they are good singles players or vice versa, but not all good singles players make excellent doubles players.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default any answer?

    Quote Originally Posted by kontrabando
    does it mean that taufik alone can beat a pair like chen hong and lindan in doubles rules?
    nobody has answered this yet

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Singles players main strenght should be stamina. But also the other main skill is self motivation. Remember a singles player has no one to look to when the game is falling away from them. I see many players simple give up when playing singles as they lack the mental toughness to pull themselves back from a few failed rallies. Another big factor is that for singles play players must fully understand their weaknesses and how to overcome them. In doubles this isn't too much of a problem as both players can work together to cover each other.


    Not to say that doubles players aren't mentally tough but good partnerships will push each other to fight harder when the chips are down. Another good skill in doubles is commuication. It may not seem to important but I often see partnerships fall to pieces in a game because they don't call shots or make calls to tell each other if the shuttle is travelling out. Things like this happening can lead to tension which will only result in defeat.

Similar Threads

  1. Do doubles player like Cai Yun and Fu Hai Feng start off as Singles player?
    By xxdomination in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 2
    : 02-08-2012, 01:56 AM
  2. Recommendation for a 50/50 doubles/singles player.
    By SantaSCSI in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 19
    : 01-15-2012, 10:42 AM
  3. singles or doubles player?
    By alwayslolzzz in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 2
    : 02-16-2010, 12:45 AM
  4. How would two top singles player do in doubles?
    By Viper2005 in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 13
    : 03-21-2007, 10:56 AM
  5. Singles player to doubles player
    By Chia in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 05-11-2003, 04:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •