singles player/doubles player?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by bigfatfish, Dec 23, 2004.

1. bigfatfish

bigfatfish Regular Member

hello. when i was in primary school team several years ago, the teacher
    in charge decided to field singles player and doubles play according to
    how well they can play in the singles game.

it is just a matter of better players fielded into singles event and the
    remaining pairing up into doubles team.
    (if given a choice, all want to play in the singles game)

when forming a team from start, is there any rule (of thumb) or judgement
    criteria to choose singles player or doubles player?

2. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    my coach told me to be a singles player, stamina is the basis for it all. Without stamina, you won't be able to back up your power, form, speed, or control. Tactics is one of the things that are considered to be adv. and should be improved after all the other 4 items have been worked on.

All the other qualities like reflexes, consistency and good defence can be what to look for in a doubles player

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In single games, u r on ur own, therefore, all the fundamental factors apply in the game, and stamina is a must.

It's ok to do a "blind" selection at the beginning, as ur coach did. Of course, the ones with the better fundamental should present the singles at this moment, when noone knows "who's who".

However, the roster should not be permentally locked forever. If a player is skillful, and willing to use his head, but lack of stamina (i.e. injury, physcial condition), s/he should be moved to doubles team, to be more effective.

Make sure never consider playing single is a promotion, while going to double team means demoted. They are just different games, which focus on different needs. ;)

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Criteria

Yes, I've seen this same absurd criteria for setting up high school teams for both badminton and tennis here in the US. There really should be a different way to chose doubles players. In fact, for both sports, singles players often do not make very good doubles players.

Doubles often requires quicker reflexes (for both sports) a higher percentage of the time. Shot selection differs for badminton doubs... more smashes, pushes (& sometimes drives). Doubles players also have to understand the intricacies of doubles strategy.. it is more complex than singles strategy. You must understand that teamwork is of paramount importance in doubs. If you put 2 singles players together as a team & they continue to employ singles strategies, they will always lose to a good doubles team.

Rotation makes doubles play more complex as well. You meed to be able to cover the court as a team.

Doubles players have to play smarter... they must realize that every shot that they make can have an impact on their partner as well as themself. If either your shot selection or your stroke execution is substandard, you can make your partner look bad.

Some of the best athletes that I've seen in both tennis & badminton have actually been doubles players. However, it is usually the singles players that get the most recognition.

#4 SystemicAnomaly, Dec 23, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Rotation & teamwork

With intermediate 3 players, of roughly equal ability, playing a 2-on-1 game, the single usually has an advantage over the doubles team. Even if you give the single player only 1 serve, as long as he has decent stamina & adequate footwork, he wil often do very well against the doubles pair. This is because it is more difficult to coordinate 2 players (teamwork) & get a proper rotation than it is for the single player (who doesn't have to worry about a partner).

The doubles team has a bit of disadvantage with the added confusion factor (particulary if the single player places the shuttle so that it is not always obvious which doulbes player should take the reply). This phenomenon illustrates the one of the complexities of doubles & the need for teamwork (with good shot selection & proper rotation).

Norms likes this.
  6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    but if the doubles team gets on the attack, they will have one at the net and one at the back, so eventually they should hold the advantage....as long as they are willing to co-operate and not try to take all the glory for themselves

the singles play will have to have a heck of a smash and speed to get any points apart from errors :confused:

7. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out

Sorry, but I think your logic is flawed. There is no way the dbl team will lose unless the single player is at least 2 cuts above the 2 dbl players.

8. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    i pretty much agree with him...if the 2 players had no prior experience working as a team, the single player would win a lot of points before they 2 would get their act together if the level of all 3 is the same.

9. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

sorry but i approve it all the way. Last years when i played mixt we often player 2 on one against another guy and whe rushed hard to beat him. We are a very good mixt team, we always play men double and mixt double together and we get good result even in double. But 2 on one it's harder than when we played with the same guy with a partner. I don't you why, maybe psychologic, let him chance. But i can assure that it's very confusing to play 2 on one

10. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    does it mean that taufik alone can beat a pair like chen hong and lindan in doubles rules?:p

11. other

other Regular Member

Student
    mmm surely if u just hit it into the spaces u'll be alright?

12. 2005singles

2005singles Regular Member

2 Singles vs. Doubles

In my experience the best all around players are always the singles players. Also the best double players are able to play singles very well. In one instance my buddy and I (two best singles) played the top doubles in our region and we beat them. We also played other doubles teams of less calibre and destroyed them very easily. I have seen many excellent singles players shift to doubles and do better than doubles players. I have also seen the best doubles players able to easily defeat good singles players. The best players can be always selected by singles because they have the stamina, power, skill, and smarts to be beat another players and there is no partner covering your weaknesses.
    Singles is the true judge of ability and the best way to pick a team because your best players are the ones able to succeed in singles.

13. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    I HIGHLY disagree, there are some really, really good single players, that play doubles as if it were singles. Coverage, shot selection, and TEAMWORK is very different in the two disciplines. Of course, not that they're bad doubles players if they are good singles players or vice versa, but not all good singles players make excellent doubles players.

14. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    any answer?

nobody has answered this yet :)

15. Michael K

Michael K New Member

Student
    Singles players main strenght should be stamina. But also the other main skill is self motivation. Remember a singles player has no one to look to when the game is falling away from them. I see many players simple give up when playing singles as they lack the mental toughness to pull themselves back from a few failed rallies. Another big factor is that for singles play players must fully understand their weaknesses and how to overcome them. In doubles this isn't too much of a problem as both players can work together to cover each other.

Not to say that doubles players aren't mentally tough but good partnerships will push each other to fight harder when the chips are down. Another good skill in doubles is commuication. It may not seem to important but I often see partnerships fall to pieces in a game because they don't call shots or make calls to tell each other if the shuttle is travelling out. Things like this happening can lead to tension which will only result in defeat.

16. Norms

Norms New Member

I totally agree on this one... This happened to us while practicing in our games... weird..but very true...