Is Lee Chong Wei ready to takeover Wonng Choon Hann?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by pptam, Dec 26, 2004.

1. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    This is highly debated topic now at BAM.

Based on Lee Chong Wei's performance for this year and now the new Malaysia No.1 Single player, winner of Taiwan Tournament [Without the top players from China and Indonesia ;) ] can he replace Wong Choon Hann as First Single Player. Wong lost Hafiz for the fifth time (lately at Ipoh).

2. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    IMHO, yes!why not? even with the top players from china and denmark (singapore open) he could still get to final stage, and lose to the champ in 3 sets, while we see that wch is getting weaker, and not as formidable as he used to be, thats just me though:D

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wait...

Lee CW is M'sia's no.1 already and therefore is the first singles player. :confused: :)

4. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

LCW is already very good...heard his training is damn intense...and he is very promising player...

5. the_way

the_way Regular Member

LCW is NOT ready to takeover WCH due to his inconsistency...He needs more exposure especially in major tournament, study his rivals game and work on how to absorb pressure in an important game...Most importantly..he must learn not to play inconsistent badminton like his seniors...

Hopefully in a year time...he will improve as a consistent player and not like typical msian player who are season player....

6. bmt_craze

bmt_craze New Member

Yup i think lee cw is a really promising rising new player.. But i think wong ch is good too.. So i dont think its right to say whether is lee ready to take over him.. Or whether lee can take over him.. They are all playing for malaysia after all..~ :D

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. Best answer to get will be from the man himself. Don't you guys think?:rolleyes:

8. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    yea

anyway, used to see this penangite Lee Chong Wei playing during secondary school stage when he won the Majlis Sukan Sekolah Malaysia (Malaysian Schools Sports Council) U-18 Boys men singles champion... can play with his wrist quite nice... His secondary school time opponents told me that hard to predict which direction ChongWei's shuttle cock going to "fly" to!!

And Chong Wei is "not" a "good" student also in term of academics.. always get good scolding from teachers...=D

Based on today's form, i think no one will doubt his first singles position in the BAM (badminton associaton of malaysia)

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    As Cheung says, there is no decision, he IS Malaysian No.1. By virtue of world ranking.

By virtue of form, you would say Hafiz is.

IMO LCW may bea good player, but if he wants to win big tournaments, and regularly reaching later stages of tournaments for long time (3+ years) then he needs to add a dimension to his game. He was agile, ok technique, ok strokes, ok speed, ok defence when I saw him (AE2005), but nothing special in any department. He needs to either improve on all of those, or focus on one area and be the bestin order to be consistent and have longevity.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I personally think that weather he can replace WOng CH as 1st singles.. that doesn't really matter. What he need to do is to prove himself on the international tourneys. Results speak for itselfs. And i'm sure in his head he doesnt think of it that way. He play his own game and give 100% full effort in every tourney. The Coach is wise enought to give him a spot that he truly deserve.

11. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Also since Wong Choong Hann is going to change to doubles with Lee Wan Wah, he wont be much concerned with singles anyhow
    g

12. NisroL_JR

NisroL_JR Regular Member

Teacher
    not enough height, have to work very hard

13. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Anyway, for sure Lee Chong Wei is going to lead the Malaysian badminton. He ought to improve himself for the sake of the country.

When Hafiz is on form, he can make any surprises. His current problem is consistency.

14. WoAiZhongGuo

WoAiZhongGuo Regular Member

Once a Chinese, always a Chinese..... live in Engl
    Noooooooooooooo!!!! WCH is the best!!!! he is not replaceable!!!

Oh wel, at least he'll still play doubles

Lee Chong Wei's brilliant i have to say, really agile and light on his feet. Plus he's really nice!

15. Morten

Morten Regular Member

I think that Hafiz is more talented than Lee. He newly won to back to back tournaments and showed us in AE 2003 what he is capable of. If not injured I think he would have beaten Kenneth in Japan Open and gone to the semis. As I see it his strokes are far more dangerous than the ones Lee Cong Wei posseses and furthermore he isnt as defensive as Lee but more of a counterattacking player. Counterattacking players are the one who rules the world scene right now Taufik, Lin Dan etc. I simply think that the "new" matured and consistency Hafiz is a lvl above Lee, not that I dont rate Lee as a top 8 player and in years perhaps a number one, but Hafiz just has what you call real talent like Gade, Taufik and Bao... Lee Chong Wei is more an allround player who works hard for his succes.

16. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

totally agree with u, Morten! He's type of player who wins major tournament!

17. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

i'm afraid this would affect his performance in men singles

18. wchfan

wchfan Regular Member

im just a normal student..
    NO... i dont think that Lee Chong Wei can replace WCH.. since im a big an of WCH, i will not Lee to takeover WCH.. eheh :eek:

But Lee Chong Wei is quite good.. he won a lot of tournaments lately.. herm.. but i still love Wong Choon Hann!! :p