User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 24
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default lessons near palo alto

    I've been looking for lessons near palo alto in the bay area, and its getting really tough. They're either full or they stopped accepting students because registration has ended. Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default badminton lessons in bay area

    I need badminton lessons in palo alto, sunnyvale, or san jose, or that general area. They must be still accepting students. If possible, please leave me like an email or fone number to contact the class or something. Thanks

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    san francisco bay area
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Lessons near Palo Alto...

    Try Bintang, at http://www.bintangbadminton.com/. They have lessons Sat and Sunday mornings, 10-12, at different levels.

    - eduard/o

    Quote Originally Posted by oab729
    I need badminton lessons in palo alto, sunnyvale, or san jose, or that general area. They must be still accepting students. If possible, please leave me like an email or fone number to contact the class or something. Thanks

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    1
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default mm

    hey if you didnt get my private message.. you could email me at chrispywu@gmail.com or AIM Chrispywu... there are actually quite a few places practice.. foothill, cubberly, decathlon, bintang, sjsu, camden iono..ttyl

  5. #5
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,001
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispywu
    hey if you didnt get my private message.. you could email me at chrispywu@gmail.com or AIM Chrispywu... there are actually quite a few places practice.. foothill, cubberly, decathlon, bintang, sjsu, camden iono..ttyl
    Decathlon? the health club? i didn't know they have badminton there.

    what's cubberly? foothill i assume you mean foothill college?

    i know Mission College have "classes" but they are more like pay to play type of classes. the "you learn by playing" type.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    1
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    Decathlon? the health club? i didn't know they have badminton there.

    what's cubberly? foothill i assume you mean foothill college?

    i know Mission College have "classes" but they are more like pay to play type of classes. the "you learn by playing" type.
    wow you reply really really fast... heh uhmm decathlon the country club... its on central expressway near lawrence i think... coach ruddy coaches there... they have 4 courts.. yah..
    cubberly is like a community center.. i think it has lessons tuesdays and thursdays.. its near san antonio on middlefield..
    and i just heard my school coach talking bout foothill college.. some coach named dave abel or something.. hes currently coaching a few girls from my school.. yah.. i dunno i just go to bintang.. cuz the other places have lines for like basketball and volleyball and they have strict times when you could play.
    btw this is one of my first posts.. still getting used to this

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    1
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hah.. i know tho oab is now.. silly kid in my english class ^_^ keke.. come practice with me sometime

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    Decathlon? the health club? i didn't know they have badminton there.

    what's cubberly? foothill i assume you mean foothill college?

    i know Mission College have "classes" but they are more like pay to play type of classes. the "you learn by playing" type.
    Yes, MC classes are mostly play. There are 2 execellent tennis coaches there (Scott Buss & Jeff Nelson) that teach mostly stroke mechanics for badminton to beginner & low intermediate players. Altho' badminton is not their primary expertise, they have both devloped a keen eye from coaching (tennis) to spot flaws in the games of even more advanced players.

    Decathlon added badminton a couple of years ago, I think. It's really a basketball gym that has been converted to accomodate (4?) badminton courts for both open gym & training. It's OK but the air conditioning can be quite annoying at times. Rudy (Suehartono?) has been coaching there for a while now. He appears to be an excellent coach... I've not trained with him, but I have watched him play, watched him train others, & even played with him & have learned quite a bit from doing so.

    It's helpful to know a club member to gain access to the open gym. Iv'e gone in quite a few times for both tennis & badminton... mostly on free guest passes. (I've even gotten in w/o a guest pass a couple of times). Non-members can take the training & participate in league play for a fee. Not certain, but I think that the following sched is up-to-date:

    http://www.decathlon-club.com/athletics.html

    Unless I'm mistaken, the badminton gym at the main campus at Foothill College is closed for renovations for a while. They do have classes at an off-campus location... Cubberly. I think that Cubberly is used both by Community Education as well as by Foothill College. Foothill calls it their Middlefield campus. Altho' there are badminton classes there, I don't believe that a whole lot of teaching goes on. (Arno Dominguez, however, is a really nice guy).

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    1
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    Yes, MC classes are mostly play. There are 2 execellent tennis coaches there (Scott Buss & Jeff Nelson) that teach mostly stroke mechanics for badminton to beginner & low intermediate players. Altho' badminton is not their primary expertise, they have both devloped a keen eye from coaching (tennis) to spot flaws in the games of even more advanced players.

    Decathlon added badminton a couple of years ago, I think. It's really a basketball gym that has been converted to accomodate (4?) badminton courts for both open gym & training. It's OK but the air conditioning can be quite annoying at times. Rudy (Suehartono?) has been coaching there for a while now. He appears to be an excellent coach... I've not trained with him, but I have watched him play, watched him train others, & even played with him & have learned quite a bit from doing so.

    It's helpful to know a club member to gain access to the open gym. Iv'e gone in quite a few times for both tennis & badminton... mostly on free guest passes. (I've even gotten in w/o a guest pass a couple of times). Non-members can take the training & participate in league play for a fee. Not certain, but I think that the following sched is up-to-date:

    http://www.decathlon-club.com/athletics.html

    Unless I'm mistaken, the badminton gym at the main campus at Foothill College is closed for renovations for a while. They do have classes at an off-campus location... Cubberly. I think that Cubberly is used both by Community Education as well as by Foothill College. Foothill calls it their Middlefield campus. Altho' there are badminton classes there, I don't believe that a whole lot of teaching goes on. (Arno Dominguez, however, is a really nice guy).
    you kinda just repeated what i said ^^..
    anyways.. the draft from the air conditioning at decathlon really sucks.. but 2 of the courts arent affected... yea rudy (Suehartono?) coaches me too.. i think hes looking for more students(players)...

  10. #10
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,001
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispywu

    cubberly is like a community center.. i think it has lessons tuesdays and thursdays.. its near san antonio on middlefield..

    oh. yes. i have been there a few years back. i think a guy call Peter coaches there, his wife also plays and have a kid (probably around 2-3 yrs old) now, he is quite nice and have good badminton skills.

    yah.. i dunno i just go to bintang..
    i might have met you. if you are from Gunn, do you play with Marc (he used to run the Gunn open gym)?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    1
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    oh. yes. i have been there a few years back. i think a guy call Peter coaches there, his wife also plays and have a kid (probably around 2-3 yrs old) now, he is quite nice and have good badminton skills.


    i might have met you. if you are from Gunn, do you play with Marc (he used to run the Gunn open gym)?
    Yea i go with marc often... i saw a "kwun" clip on the board at bintang n i was like "OMG its the guy who runs the forums".. marc pointed out who u were n i was like.. "soudesuka".. you always play with that big guy, the guy with glasses and the indian guy

  12. #12
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,001
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispywu
    Yea i go with marc often... i saw a "kwun" clip on the board at bintang n i was like "OMG its the guy who runs the forums".. marc pointed out who u were n i was like.. "soudesuka".. you always play with that big guy, the guy with glasses and the indian guy
    ahh... so you know who i am. next time come by to say hi, we can play some games together. i am just so-so as you can see... i wonder who is the guy with glasses.. oh, i think you mean Joseph.. the big guy... Trunkz69?? haha.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispywu
    you kinda just repeated what i said ^^..
    Yah, right! Didn't see that much detail in your post.

    Anyway kwun, I didn't see a listing for Peter Baum (wife = Andrea) in the Foothill class sched for this winter Q. It was a Thurs nite class in the past.

  14. #14
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,001
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    Anyway kwun, I didn't see a listing for Peter Baum (wife = Andrea) in the Foothill class sched for this winter Q. It was a Thurs nite class in the past.
    yeah. Peter Baum and Andrea are the names. not sure why they don't hold classes anymore. it was many years ago when i played with them.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    1
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://pbc.lansengtech.com/ this is their old website.. they didnt update since 2003..

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    san jose, ca
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Ruddy Soehartano

    Quote Originally Posted by oab729
    I need badminton lessons in palo alto, sunnyvale, or san jose, or that general area. They must be still accepting students. If possible, please leave me like an email or fone number to contact the class or something. Thanks
    I highly recommend taking badminton lessons from this well-known badminton coach in the San Francisco Bay Area, Ruddy Soehartano. He emphasizes a very strong foundation in footwork and drills based on the Indonesian training style, and he's known to make badminton training FUN and, yet, serious. I have trained with him for sometime now and he always sets up training according to each individual's needs. Besides my obviously skill improvement, I especially like to keep learning from Ruddy because he respects people regardless of his/her skill level, age, gender, etc. And yet he will not only improve your techniques and strategy but will also make it pleasurable even during serious training. I think it's very hard to find a good coach like that. You can contact Ruddy for private lessons at 408.739.0351 or rsoehartono@hotmail.com.
    Last edited by wmb2002; 02-15-2005 at 04:04 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Ruddy is a great coach.

    . I have trained with Ruddy for over a year and and I find him the best of the 4 professional coaches I have tried.

    Rudy (Suehartono?) has been coaching there for a while now. He appears to be an excellent coach... I've not trained with him, but I have watched him play, watched him train others, & even played with him & have learned quite a bit from doing so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking to take LEssons Please help out
    By sqapg5 in forum Singapore
    Replies: 2
    : 10-19-2008, 03:33 AM
  2. Anyone live in Palo Alto, California?
    By Headshotter in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 0
    : 12-04-2007, 11:02 PM
  3. Lessons at C1
    By cool_rain in forum ClearOne Badminton Centre
    Replies: 9
    : 12-16-2006, 01:48 PM
  4. closest place to play palo alto
    By oab729 in forum USA West
    Replies: 10
    : 01-17-2005, 06:21 PM
  5. Gunn HS, Palo Alto, CA, USA
    By kwun in forum USA West
    Replies: 3
    : 08-29-2001, 07:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •