Quotes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jinryu, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    This is something I found, which isn't about badminton, but I feel is pretty applicable.

The trap I find myself falling into is that oftentimes, my training is defined in comparison to how I can beat others... (and, as it stands, I've reached a bit of a peak... the people at my gym are generally either too easy now, or waaaaaaaaay too hard.) And so I run into this that I've run out of people to measure up to, and thus, have a really hard time improoving. (although that will change in a few weeks, when my work and school schedule changes so that I can access a larger pool of different level players.)

Anyway, here's the quote I wanted to put up, which I think describes the journeys we all should be making if we want to be true sportsmen... sure, I want it all just "handed to me", but like all things, the more I learn, the more I need... to try an empericize it just boggles my mind! So, when I'm in good spirits, I tell myself to just shut up and play the game!

"What do you wish from me?" the master asked.
    "I wish to be your student and become the finest karateka in the land," the boy replied. "How long must I study?"
    "Ten years at least," the master answered.
    "Ten years is a long time," said the boy. "What if I studied twice as hard as all your students?"
    "Twenty years," replied the master.
    "Twenty years! What if I practice day and night with all my effort?"
    "Thirty years," was the master's reply.
    "How is it that each time I say I will work harder, you tell me that it will take longer?" the boy asked.
    "The answer is clear. When one eye is fixed upon you destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the way."

--- Anonymous

2. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    thank you. i really needed that.

jug

3. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    god one..i got the sense a little bit..but i am sorry..i am F***** dumb seriously..! i am too angry right now too..so please explain to me what does it mean?and how can we apply this to badminton

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    "Don't work harder, work smarter"

It means if you try too hard you will take your eye off the ball and will take you longer in the end because you are not really focused.

5. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    right....i got it..that we shouldnt work harder...but how canw e work smarter..explain that too

6. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    maybe smarter means always focus on the NOW...like be in NOW

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    No working smarter means think about your problem and how to solve it! Not just jumping in and getting stuck in.

As the above story someone wants to learn how to be the best by asking a question to which there is no answer!

How long will it take me to be the best, the answer is however long it takes, a time cannot be put on the duration that I have to train for etc. The boy want's a short fix to the problem hence the wanting to progress in the shortest timescale.

8. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Let go of your anger, grasshopper!

9. Californian

Californian Regular Member

It could apply this way:

Suppose a player had a goal to be the best in his club, or country, or win a major tournament, etc. He works on his technique and conditioning. He improves, so he continues with the same routine. After a while, his progress slows, so he reasons that he just has to work harder. He does the same routines, but more often, longer, and with more intensity. First, he would face the problem of overtraining, and that would slow his progress. Then, he would face psychological burnout and discouragement. But he is so intent on reaching his goal, he doesn't realize what is happening to him, and so he works even harder. What may be the worst is that he is so consumed with reaching the goal, he doesn't realize he is practicing poor technique or not using a good muscle training program. So, assuming he doesn't get injuries or have a nervous breakdown in the meantime, by persistence he is finally able to make everything work and achieves his goal, but it's taken much longer than it would have if he had paid attention to what was happening on the way to that goal.

10. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Wow coolness. :eek:

This sounds like something all coaches and players should know about!

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Great story!

I think I too have the problem as the student, which always stressed up with "too much expectation", then, can't face the truth, when it comes to failure... :(

12. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    oh[​IMG] stay off me dude...

(p.s go to my todays match topic and tell me whats that meditation thing)

and wait..yeah no msn convos here