User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGr8Two
    Both types are tested for landing in the right zone. The question is does the plastic shuttle reach a higher speed when you do an extremely hard smash; there seems to be more air resistance with feather.
    the reason is that the plastic birdies are less rigid. when you smash, the plastic birdie is travelling so fast it collapse and thus have less air resistance. feather birdies are more rigid and retains its shape and thus have more air resistance.

this only happens when at higher velocity thus you cannot test it with normal speed test or when clearing.

and that's the problem with plastic birdies. they don't retain their shape like their feather counterpart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speeds of Plastic shuttles may appear to be right when testing shuttles, but where they differ is in their folding properties. Plastic shuttles have less resistance to folding the skirt than feathers, therfore when they are hit hard, the force of the air resistance causes the shuttle to change shape and reducing air resistance, thus making it fly faster. This is only a temporary thing though, and only at high speeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 604badder
    But this sentence contradicted itself. If both were tested to the same speed, and landing in the right speed check zone, how can one be much faster than the other.
    shuttle speed can range from 1 to 200 mph.
    Testing shuttle only testing and matching a narrow range of speed.

Like saying you doing warmup rallies with Lin Dan and have no problem keeping up with LD. You then conclude that you can play at the same level as LD -- NOT --

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plastic is the cheapest way to go. I still bumming out birds with the club and ppl, but ussually use mavis300/350. as for feather, I rarely use it, unless playing against ppl who want to strictly use feather.

feather birds feel heavier compare to plastic one. the advantage is u actually can see it moves when smashed, thus preparing your self for a pickup/defense strategy. plastic one are awful when smashed, they do travel really fast and sometime it's hard to see it. yellow colour does help but not much. feather has a nice "pok" sound everytime u hit it. unfortunately, u r lucky if your feather bird last a game; ussually it's done after a fdew rallies

If u switch to plastic from feather right away, u'll feel it that palstic is way lighter and shots may go long. u'll know what I mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

although I do agree that a feather is quite the greatness, again, the financial aspect really hits hard when tuitioin is 6, 7000 a year.

i am by no means a great player. however, one tube of Mavis300 will last me and the guys I play with at the local university quite a few sessions. maybe we will destroy one of them in a session. feathers? with random mishits that come from playing fast paced doubles, they would not last.

1 tube M300 = $10 CAD, or $20CAD for a dozen
    1 tube Victor Champion = $18CAD for a dozen, however, they will not last *nearly* as long as the M300's. The longest I have used one for is about 20 minutes or so.

I hear a lot of, there is no replacement for a good feather, but you know what? It really adds up. 5 tubes of shuttles, which will last a few sessions, is good enough for some textbooks already.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use plastic birds myself (Mavis 300 yellow) when I'm in Richmond. I never purchase use feather birds because of the cost. Never had string breakage problems except with BG-80(broke within a week), because it kept developing pre-mature damage, which is when I switched over to Gosen B505 and that stopped the problem. Since they don't make the string anymore, I use the Gosen Pro 66.

I do use feather birds when I'm in the US because the people there have them and, let the players use them.

Personally, I dont' have an issue between the two, it's a matter of adapting.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    1. Say a group of 4 ppl, everyone chip in shuttles alternatly. If a tube is used for 2 hrs session, then, each person should at most "donate" 3-4.

2. Use slightly used shuttles / plastic ones for warm up.

3. Find "connection" to get good shuttles with lower price.
    Me too to everything LB posted except I seem to be the one "donating" all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aznricearoni
    although I do agree that a feather is quite the greatness, again, the financial aspect really hits hard when tuitioin is 6, 7000 a year.

i am by no means a great player. however, one tube of Mavis300 will last me and the guys I play with at the local university quite a few sessions. maybe we will destroy one of them in a session. feathers? with random mishits that come from playing fast paced doubles, they would not last.

1 tube M300 = $10 CAD, or $20CAD for a dozen
    1 tube Victor Champion = $18CAD for a dozen, however, they will not last *nearly* as long as the M300's. The longest I have used one for is about 20 minutes or so.

I hear a lot of, there is no replacement for a good feather, but you know what? It really adds up. 5 tubes of shuttles, which will last a few sessions, is good enough for some textbooks already.
    I don't really get people arguing about the "price" issue with plastic vs. feather.. If you don't care about performance/quality of a shuttle you could by shuttles for like 10 USD per dozen (that will last like forever) ;-) http://www.educationalequipment.ie/s...rod_id=PESH001

The problem is that these of course will have a sh...y trajectory and speed.. But if price is THE factor.. they would be cheaper than Mavis 3xx. and smashes would be even harder :-)...

The same argument you'll have for using the Mavis shuttles as opposed to the red-rubber-cork ones...would be valid for most guys arguing the advantages of paying the extra dough for goose feathers as opposed to nylon shuttles..

Personally I think the extra money paid for "real" badminton shuttles is worth every extra penny... Sometimes I see players with a couple of high-end yonex rackets with good strings playing with plastics...To me it just doesn't make sense.. For the money they spend on stringing, rackets, shoes etc.. they would probably be better of saving some money on these purchases and buy less expensive equipment to be able to afford "real" shuttles, now they are playing with high-end gear engineered, developed and tested for shuttles with different weight, caracteristics etc. and using them to play another type of game (plastic-badminton)..

It's like Buying a ferrari and putting bicycle wheels on it!!

Cheers,
    Twobeer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Feather WAy Better

Ive Always Loved Feather shuttles, Perferably the black knight ones they use at the kelowna badminton club. Not Only Are They Much Easier To handle, Thers that Certan CRACK! sound when you hit them that makes your game just that much more enjoyable...downside is the durability, but like i said They Are Much Better To Play With!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer
    Personally I think the extra money paid for "real" badminton shuttles is worth every extra penny... Sometimes I see players with a couple of high-end yonex rackets with good strings playing with plastics...To me it just doesn't make sense.. For the money they spend on stringing, rackets, shoes etc.. they would probably be better of saving some money on these purchases and buy less expensive equipment to be able to afford "real" shuttles, now they are playing with high-end gear engineered, developed and tested for shuttles with different weight, caracteristics etc. and using them to play another type of game (plastic-badminton)..

It's like Buying a ferrari and putting bicycle wheels on it!!

Cheers,
    Twobeer
    i wouldn't say shuttles are the most important part of the game.
    i wouldn't say using good equipment with plastics is a waste of good equipment either.

is everyone forgetting regional differences?
    i'm sure everyone already knows why plastics were designed in the first place, and its not because its necessarily cheaper or not, so i'm not going to bother wasting your time.

theres always national level people playing with plastics in areas where the performance of a feather shuttle is simply not acceptable for every day use, and by that, can we conclude that they playing plastic badminton?

sure, feathers are used, but only when it really matters, like higher level tournaments.

would you go buy a ferrari and drive it in the gobi desert? or perhaps the northern ice fields? i highly doubt it.

its all about sacrifices, priorities, and tolerances.

as aznricearoni said, for students, school is priority.
    so cutting the corner in terms of shuttles and using plastics that fly accpetably well is good enough. so we're looking at pros and cons.
    the small difference in flight of plastic with cork is acceptable in outweighing the extra 10 dollars for feathers.
    the bigger difference in flight of plastic with rubber is not acceptable in the same scenario.

and also, we have to remember where and when some of these people play.
    those that join clubs are supplied feather shuttles. so they come on here saying feathers are greatest. but they forget that the membership fees they pay for goes towards those shuttles.
    sure, everyone knows feathers are best, but for those who play on their time and cost, as in purchasing the tubes on their own, reality could set in rather quickly.
    Last edited by chickenpoodle; 10-15-2005 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play both plastic and feather because i dont want to ignore 80% of the players here that uses plastic. Where i live, feather does involve a bit more hassle because i can't play with 'correct' speed right out of the tube. The lowest speed (by special order usually) is 75 and we still have to make adjustment to slow it down a bit before playing them. Adjusting mavis 300 is simple and fast and non damaging.

From the experience i gather from playing against national players, they play plastic with no handicap (lol, they play only at 50% lvl). They adjust to plastic in no time. They execute shots with similar speed, accuracy and control. For me now, i just enjoy the game, plastic or feather isnt much a issue for me anymore.
    Last edited by cooler; 10-15-2005 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I live in Sweden, I am quite aware of regional differences, but I have found the changes in temperature here also affects plastics quite extensively, and also that different batches of mavis have very different speeds!!

Further more feathers have the advantages of speed-ratings 75,76,77,78,79,80 etc.. as opposed to plastics which only have slow, medium and fast..
    also the feathers speed can be adjusted by tipping the feathers, to make the speed consistant until it gets broken during play.. Adjusting a plastic is a matter of pushing the "skirt", making it change speed gradually during play (in some worst cases I've notice the plastics even change speed during a rally, slow at the beginning of the rally fast at the end of the rally.. This sucks big time!!!!

I would love a good alternative to goose feather shuttles. I think mordern techonolgy would have materials (think nano-here :-) strong light :-) ) would be able to produce an artifical shuttle that would have consistent (and good) flight and have good durability. So I am all for that..

But when people say Mavis 3xx is fine, I simply must disagree!!

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle
    would you go buy a ferrari and drive it in the gobi desert? or perhaps the northern ice fields? i highly doubt it.
    The analogy seems irrelevant, If you don't mean that buying a NS 8000 or AT700 would be inadviceable if you live in Alberta, Canada, a to cold, dry environment to get good flights on shuttles?!?

and cooler:
    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    From the experience i gather from playing against national players, they play plastic with no handicap (lol, they play only at 50% lvl). They adjust to plastic in no time. They execute shots with similar speed, accuracy and control.
    Well to be honest.. I think a pro would perhaps beat you using a squash-racket in a badminton-game as well (no offence). Still I would argue there is a huge difference playing badminton with a squash racket as oppoased to a badminton racket :-), as well as I argue that plastic and feathers are VERY different..

Btw I've played plenty with plastics, when I started playing badminton (mainly Mavis 350) but I really do not enjoy playing with plastics, I think it dumbs down the game, taking away the much of the finesse, netplay, and need for deception.. making it more of a "bang on everything" kind-of game, just trying to outpower your opponent, (in power or stamina), deception and control are usually not needed.. It becomes more of a brute-force game, than a strategy/thinking game.

/Twobeer
    Last edited by twobeer; 10-15-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plastic for playing games, feather for training

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quik_silver
    Plastic for playing games, feather for training
    Huh? Don't you mean the other way around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    Huh? Don't you mean the other way around?
    lol i am kind of different i like faster games when i play with my friends or others..feather helps me train my techniques, since the speed is abit slower. dont u agree with my s4?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to clear this up. Does Nylon birds really make your tension unplayably low compared to feather? Which would be cheaper?

Thx~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unplayably low, no, otherwise no one would be using plastics at all if that is the case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast