Off timing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by HLHHH, Dec 28, 2004.

1. HLHHH

HLHHH Regular Member

Hello guys:

Recently I have been doing some weight training to improve myself a bit. Varies methods such as lifting weights, wearing weight inserted jacket, and stroking with tennis racket have been employed. After training, I turned out to be off timing on my strokes simply because the racket itself is way lighter than before. I believe you guys experienced the same thing before. Therefore, I am just wondering how you guys deal with it. Did you guys accompany with some sort of timing adjustment method along with weight training? Or the stroke will eventually come back and if it does come back, how long does it take? I am entering a tournament in less than 30 days, although I am certain that my strokes are more powerful than before, but I really don’t want this off timing thingy happens when I enter a tournament. Currently, I am still doing the same weight training twice a week.

2. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I'd use a rule of thumb of every hour of weights balanced with 1 hour of on court hitting. I get no where near that much as i work out 6 days a week, but as long as I keep up with the weights i seem to be good. It's when I take a break of more than a week, then lift hard, the next couple of days everything is stiff.

The WORST is chest as it really throws off your timing and I never train shoulders anymore given the loss in range of motion.

I have such a big swing that timing is everything for me. When my timing is off I simply have to work my way through it. I ease upon how hard I'm swinging and work on regaining my form first. I've found that clears and drops come back quickly - it's the smash timing that suffers worse.

Make sure that about an hour after weights you stretch out again.

3. HLHHH

HLHHH Regular Member

Thanks Vining, I do stretch out after an hour, and yeah, my smash suffers the most. I just read somewhere about soaking your arm with epsom salt to relax it, gonna try it later today and see how it works

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Squash racket

You might be better off using a squash racket rather than a tennis racket for your training. Perhaps you need to shorten the interval that you use the heavier racket. Train with the heavy racket for a while & then switch back to you regular badminton until you get your timing back for a while. Then go back again to the heavy racket for more training. If you repeat this cycle often enough, then you may have much less trouble getting your timing back.