Babolat Satelite Pulsar Mini-Review!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by pongster, Dec 29, 2004.

1. pongster

pongster New Member

HR Practitioner
    Babolat Satelite Pulsar

A combination of control and power.

Head Size 340 cm² / 53 sq/in (Powerful Head Frame; Iso)

Weight: 90 g

Balance: 300mm (head heavy?)

Composition: Hot melt graphite + Kevlar

Flexibility: Normal

String: Hyperbraid (probably .70 or .72 micron)

Tension: Probably between 18-20 lbs. using 4 knot, 2 string method (stock) Max tension per their site is 9 kg. (mga 20 + or - 2; although the players using babolat string up to 14 kg.)

Here's a Mini Review... after playing with the Pulsar for almost 12 sets, doubles, singles and half court singles (practice)

Initial Thoughts:
    Never really thought that a French Engineered Racket would do so well (No Offense meant to the French... but the Japanese and Germans are really those that come to mind when Engineering is discussed), since I really think of Romance, Food, Fashion, Fragrance and Wine when I see "FRANCE" Anyhoo, I decided to go with my Gut and buy the racket of my dreams... All the tech talk that the Babolat site has probably got me thinking how it would feel to play their satelite Pulsar!
    When I got hold of it and took it for a few test swings, I knew I was going to adjust to it come gametime... (Its the 1st time for me to use a standard length racket) Plus the guage and tension of the stock strings... The Vjoint Kevlar+HotMelt Graphite looked quite chunky compared to my RSL 3200japspec and 4900... would it really make a diff? This also has a 20/21 stringing pattern... the strings in the sweet spot area are closer to each other (it makes smaller squares is all I can say)

WarmUp Swings:
    Immediately, I felt no strange Vibration (coming from RSL 3200, you do the Math) the racket felt stable in my hand... somewhat like a natural extension of my arm... this baby Packs One heck of a Punch! Even with the Stock strings I did not have difficulty with my clears and smashes... I did need to adjust my to dropshots (my weakest area... maybe the strings AND Technique)

Gametime: (Singles and Doubles)
    I could easily control where I wanted to place the Shuttle... Whats this... Great Power and Great Control? From a French Engineered Racket Made in China? Wow! My Pulsar Rocks! The PILOT system of Babolat is not all frills... it works for me... my short serves and net shots are easier to control... Imagine the benefit of putting just 2 tacky strips of rubber on the cone! Nice Going Babolat! Being Head Heavy this racket is not as easy to manouver... compared to my RSL 4900 that is... but I did not really feel any strain on my arms from my games I played!

Overall:
    If your a Smasher/Offensive/Agressive player, you'll LOVE this Racket!
    I love how this racket handles... cant wait to re-string using .66 or .65 at 22lbs! Will give another review after the re-string!

Ratings (purely my Opinion!)
    POWER 10/10
    CONTROL 9.5/10
    MANOUVERABILITY (at the NET, compared to my RSL 4900) 8/10

OVERALL 9.5/10 (Thanks to Babolat for thinking and coming up with this series! You Rock!) :)

2. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Graphite doesn't ever melt: it decomposes at high temperatures, and if in contact with the atmosphere, burns.

What is the Babolat marketing department thinking when they come up with their brochure?

3. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    But......... not only Babolat use the term "Hot Melt Graphite". Kawasaki BMG997 and Dunlop badminton rackets are also claimed using Hot Melt Graphite.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The marketing department needs to write something for the general public to "easily understand" (or, say, easily tricked) , not just physics major students. :p

5. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Okay, here's a non-technical description of "hot melt graphite":

6. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Web of Science

A quick search through the Web of Science database using "hot melt" + "graphite" gives 3 hits, one of which appears to be relevant.

Loos AC, MacRae JD, "A process simulation model for the manufacture of a blade-stiffened panel by the resin film infusion process", COMPOSITES SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 56 (3): 273-289 1996.

7. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Inspec

A quick search through the INSPEC engineering database with the same keywords gives nothing new.

8. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    So it appears that...

... a technology by this name exists, being pioneered by Dunlop (they tout it on most of their squash rackets), but the namesake is misleading.

The hot melt is not liquid graphite, but is most probably some polymer resin, poured while hot over the fabricated graphite frame. This resin will infiltrate into the empty spaces between graphite fibers, and when solidified, form a composite structure with the graphite fibers.

Since Dunlop boasts the technology as revolutionary, this probably means that the traditional method of racket frame construction is to use COLD resin, most likely dissolved in a solvent, applied onto the graphite fibers to glue them together. The resin solidifies as the solvent evaporates, but I suppose this introduces structural weakness as a result of (i) uneven application; (ii) multiple application; and (iii) incomplete infiltration of the resin into the space between the graphite fibers.

9. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    But.......... How do you think about the Dunlop 200G tennis racket in 80's?? Dunlop did not mentioned Hot Melt Graphite, but mentioned "Injected Graphite". If they used the terms "Injected Graphite", the material itself should be in liquid form with injection mould. This production method was also told by a racket manufacturer in Buffalo Badminton Board (closed) in 10 years before.

If only 1 company mentoned Hot Melt Graphite, then I may consider it is a marketing strategies. But if more and more company mention about it (at least three in my data), I will think and search this technology before rejecting it. I was a BBA student and now is working in industrial area, I am not meaning to challenge the Professional in Chemical or Physic, but I would try to open my sight and investigate something which may out of books or website. . :D

#9 forrestyung, Dec 30, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  10. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Well, apparently I did not dig deep enough. There is something called laser-induced phase transition (LIPT) of graphite, where researchers claimed that by laser irradiation at a spot, carbon, in the form of graphite, can be heated to a temperature above its graphite-liquid-vapor triple point of 5000 K (about 4700 deg C), to give a miniscule puddle of liquid carbon. (Sergei I. Kudryashov, Alexander A. Karabutov, Vladimir I. Emel yanov, Mariya A. Kudryashova, Raissa D. Voronina and Nikita B. Zorov, "Optical feedback in laser-induced phase transitions of carbon", Mendeleev Communications Electronic Version, Issue 1, 1998 (pp. 1 42))

Graphite is also said to 'melt' into molten iron, which is at a temperature of between 1500 to 1700 deg C, in the preparation of martenistic steel. But this process of carbon nanoparticles being incorporated into steel is, I believe, still not well understood, and probably not quite the same process as sugar dissolving in water.

But both of these are rather extreme conditions. I seriously doubt either scenarios apply in the fabrication of badminton rackets.

All I am saying, with some degree of confidence, is that the name of the "hot melt graphite" technology is misleading, because I believe the material that is used as hot melt is not graphite, but some other polymer resin. At the risk of sticking my head out, I would say a more appropriate name would be "hot melt-graphite composite" technology.

11. JarDen

JarDen Regular Member

Student
    I've been using my Babolat Solar for a couple of weeks now. Don't feel the vibration as much when smashing compared to the MP99. I needed to change my playing style a bit to create better shots. Most improvements came from the net and recieving smashes. I was able to move the racket around quick to get shots on my other side. Definitely a defensive racket.

One point to make. It is a bit shorter than a regular racket. It takes awhile to get used to. I kept getting of shots at first. But other than that, an excellent racket.

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I like this initial review because it has details. Many other reviews are short and less informative, and it makes readers wonder/guess the racket's performance.

Keep up with the good work! :)