User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: YONEX Frenzy

Tommy

Default Re: YONEX Frenzy-wrong forum?

Bret are you working for Gosen or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha ... I doubt if Brett is.

Point to note is that over dominance of a certain company in any market will only bring about a slow down in progress of things. Like some 10 years ago, Yamaha, yes the same company that makes world class musical instruments and championship winning motorcycles, made really great rackets.

I had one the EOS-90, which I still use now and then. To me, it was simply the finest racket I had ever had the chance to try on. That was until I had the chance to own the classic Yonex Boron 2. Unfortunately, the racket making wing died a slow death as the Yonex and Carlton juggernaut was way too powerful and profit margins did not make business sense.

Today, I would say that Yonex still makes some of the finest rackets around, but the rate of progress has been way too slow. Look at the Tennis market, the funny things that have come out over the years as there is no single dominant make actually. Wilson, Head, Prince each command a sizeable market share, hence the constant ' innovations' or rather gimmicks. But its not th case in Badminton issit? Only Yonex and Carlton seem to be coming out with something original and practical each time. With the industry more often than not carbon copying Yonex's ideas .....

Isn't is pretty sad ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha ... I doubt if Brett is.

Point to note is that over dominance of a certain company in any market will only bring about a slow down in progress of things. Like some 10 years ago, Yamaha, yes the same company that makes world class musical instruments and championship winning motorcycles, made really great rackets.

I had one the EOS-90, which I still use now and then. To me, it was simply the finest racket I had ever had the chance to try on. That was until I had the chance to own the classic Yonex Boron 2. Unfortunately, the racket making wing died a slow death as the Yonex and Carlton juggernaut was way too powerful and profit margins did not make business sense.

Today, I would say that Yonex still makes some of the finest rackets around, but the rate of progress has been way too slow. Look at the Tennis market, the funny things that have come out over the years as there is no single dominant make actually. Wilson, Head, Prince each command a sizeable market share, hence the constant ' innovations' or rather gimmicks. But its not th case in Badminton issit? Only Yonex and Carlton seem to be coming out with something original and practical each time. With the industry more often than not carbon copying Yonex's ideas .....

Isn't is pretty sad ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy, as far as I know, I've never even seen a Gosen product in person.

I just find it a bit silly for some of posters on this site to proclaim the virtues of Yonex products over all other brands, when they have never written a single sentence that suggests that they have actually tried out any of the competition's products in order to make a somewhat objective comparison.

I agree with Gladius that in a market that is so heavily dominated by one company, such as the Yonex-controlled badminton market, the lack of significant competition results in less product development, higher prices for us consumers and probably less development and advancement of the sport (few companies other than Yonex invest in sponsoring youth programs, upcoming competitive players and tournaments).

bay resident!

if you really looked into the details and specs of those top of the line rackets from all the brands, they are actually made out of the same materials.

knock-out

It is Lexus, Brett, with a "u". I think that is the first typo I've seen you make in all these months I've been reading this forum (I'd put a little yellow smiley here if I knew how).
    I have a Yonex sweatband that is flouerescent green that I wear when I play racquetball cause it matches exactly the color of my Wilson hypercarbon, the "only" racquetball racquet worth buying (another smiley)! Too bad I can't find anyone in my entire state to play me in badminton, dang it! I'd whup em' with my Carlton aerogear 1000 on the badminton court that I measured and taped with black electrical tape and floor tape up on the old basketball court at the University in town, where I use about ten horseshoes ( the throwing kind, for you non-Americans)) to weight down each stand so that my net can stretch tight across the court. If any of you fellow badmintoners ever go to Yellowstone National Park for vacation, give me a call when you travel through Pocatello, Idaho (it is quite likely that you'll go through here, though it isn't the only route, it is the main route to Yellowstone) and I'll set up a match with you, PLEASE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default knock-out

i admire your dedication man and i should stop complaining about badminton courts in my area. Your effort reminded me the movie 'field of dream' where kevin cosner carved out a baseball diamond out of his corn field hoping they would come. Unfortunately, that's only work in the movie. Look on the bright side, you're probably #1 player in Idaho but as they say, it's lonely at the top. What is the population of Pocatello?

type :
    follow by )
    for smiley

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same materials yes, but same control processes ? DEFINITELY no!!

Hence, there's a difference in quality and performance !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Knock-out

Idaho and Yellowstone National Park ? Not too familiar with the geography of the States. Is it anywhere North? Like say Montana?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Psychological Effect or Psychologist's Patient?

I dunno any more, u decide 4 urself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Knock-out

Yes, Idaho borders Montana and Wyoming on its eastern edge and its northern border is with Canada.

Knock-out, you got me on the spelling of Lexus. I'm not perfect but I do try to write properly. You aren't one of those anti-government, 250 gun-owning, FBI hating guys who has a cabin on an Idaho mountain stocked with five years of dry rations to last out the upcoming nuclear holocaust, are you?

P.S. smileys are done by typing a colon followed imediately by a closed parenthesis; winking smiles are with a semicolon, instead of the colon. I don't know the other combinations.

knock-out

Default Re: Brett, Cooler, Gladius

Thanks for the smiley info guys. Pocatello has about 50,000 people counting the little suburbs around it, third largest city in Idaho, behind Boise and Idaho Falls. West Yellowstone (the town) is in Montana, right at the west entrance into Yellowstone Park. Most of Yellowstone Park is in Wyoming, with little slivers of it in Montana and Idaho. West yellowstone is about 2.5 hours drive from Pocatello.
    It is beautiful here in Pocatello, though; the mountain biking is second to none.

Brett, fyi, I'm not anti-government, but you might say I lean to the conservative side of most issues. I do own more than one gun, but not even close to 250. Most Idahoans do own more than one gun; this is a hunting state. But you would probably carry a pistol too if you had a skinhead tell you he was gonna kill you and your wife just cause her skin was a little darker than yours, and then moments later discover your car covered in white supremecy fliers and pamphlets. That happened to me; now I have two little rascals, a four year old girl and one year old son and I'll do whatever I have to to keep them safe. Don't get me wrong, I'm not paranoid or fanatical, but if you lived this close to Northern Idaho, and knew what some of the people up there have done, you might get a little nervous sometimes. It's not really as bad as I'm making it sound, I grew up here and was always safe, and for the most part, people here are very tolerant. I love it here. I even considered joining the FBI, and still keep it as an option for the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Knock-out

Oh, that's still pretty vague to me as you guys probably count it in terms of hundreds of miles in distance while we do it in single digit kilometres here in Singapore!!

Was in Canada last year and my, was it a huge place. Guess Yellowstone should be taken in a similar breadth ... Say 200 miles across ??

I'll be going Montana at the year's end for business. But I doubt if there's any spare time to travel the vast expanse of area there !!!

We're talking about a day or more of driving here aren't we ??

knock-out

Default Re: Gladius

It's not quite 200 miles across--I think it is about 50 miles across, as the crow flies, the roads leading across would probably double that distance. It would take most of a day driving, though, cause you would want to stop and see some of the sites, even if you were in a hurry, for instance, who could pass up Old Faithful?
    The total kilometers squared is 8987 (3472 square miles). It is a big place compared to Singapore, but the food is not as good

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brett, Cooler, Gladius

Wow, that is harsh. Hope you never experience a repeat of that scene. I can sympathize. When I was 7 we moved from the Midwest to Knoxville, Tennessee. Kids in my neighborhood threw rocks at our car screaming "Damn yankees go home," my next door neighbor refused to allow his 7 year old son to speak or play with me because we were "damn yankees" and were not Southern Baptists, and my dumb-as-a-doorknob teacher sent me to the principal when I corrected her mistake-ridden math, saying "no stupid yankee kid is going to correct my work." There were also plenty of comments disparaging me and my family because our ancestors did not originate in northwest Europe.

You are living in a beautiful part of the country. I spent a week in Bozeman, Montana and in Yellowstone in January 1993. Gladius, if you will be in or passing through Bozeman, and are interested in good food, there was a restaurant on the main street there called the Bistro that was a rare combination of being cheap and outstanding. If you are into skiing, you ought to take a few vacation days and hit Big Sky and Bridger Bowl ski resorts. Incredible skiing, inexpensive and not at all crowded. Or, try cross country skiing in Yellowstone. The views are excellent.

MarkM

Default Re: YONEX Frenzy

As far as Gosen goes I discovered Gosen about a year ago and have been very impressed by their racquets. I bought one for $100CDN (what's that, $350US ) on sale (I think it was numbered 90, sorry can't remember). It was a very nice racquet though, nice balance, good power, great touch, and a very light, slim aero dynamic feel. Unfortunately it broke in two during a singles game while attempting a smash, it bounced off the floor and flew like a death baton straight up in the air and landed in the doubles lane. I sent it back to Gosen and they replaced it with their top-of-the-line racquet (Gavun Shaft R- $200). This racquet is long sized, is very sturdy and very powerful. It is better in every way than my original Gosen but recently has developed a "click" in the handle. I expect it to manifest its split personality soon in the same way my first Gosen did. I've also heard that Gosen makes very good shuttles although I've never used one. To date, Yonex shuttles are the best I've found but that's not saying much with my limited exposure to different brands. A great feature of Gosen racquets is that they are all a classic oval shape. None of this isometric crap.

That being said, I recently splurged and picked up my first Yonex, a Muscle Power 750 Long, unfortunately it has a very slight isometric look but I feel it's a better racquet than the CAB 23 which costs about the same ($150). Yikes, powerful. It's a great racquet and I can't wait until I get used to the touch, I expect it'll be my favorite racquet to date.

Imho Yonex makes the best racquet I've used but that doesn't mean that you can't get great racquets elsewhere. If you're looking to avoid conforming to the Yonex-quo make sure to explore Black Knight, I've used two great Knights before and I've seen the newer models, very shiny . I've seen some Yang Yang racquets that I'd love to try. Pro Speed also makes some very light racquets and at a great price. Don't forget to check out Gosen's too.

Ultimately there are many companies that make good racquets, just go find one you like. I would encourage everyone to explore the companies mentioned above. They all make great non-isometric racquets that I think will suit your fancy. I had to try an iso for myself but in the future I'll definately look for a classic Yang Yang or Black Knight.

MarkM

Default Great Yonex Shoes

I bought a pair of Yonex 28.0's for about $110CDN. They're excellent shoes, the best pair I've had but they are quite fragile. I guess that may be the cost of having such a light and slipper-like shoe.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast