Badminton Shoes for Flat-foot

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by acwong, Dec 31, 2004.

1. acwong

acwong Regular Member

Are there any badminton shoes designed for flat foot people?
    I remember someone mentioned Mizuno WaveEpic2 before, but I look up several websites it doesn't say anything about flatfoot in the specs.

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
  3. clive conway

clive conway New Member

Information Designer
    Badminton shoes for flat-footed people

Yes, Dave is right--orthotics are the way to go, and I don'e think that there are any badminton shoes that specifically address flat -feet. Indeed, the whole point of court shoes is that they are not built up to influence pronation, like other types of sports shoes are. I have written an article about shoe selection which might interest here:

The badminton central discussion about flat feet sure has a lot of ignorance about flat-footedness. Flat-footedness is a common enough condition and isn't in any way un-athletic. It's not even necessarily a 'bad' thing unless it affects your biomechanics to the extent of causing problems elsewhere, such as knees, where I tend to get pain.

Do you wear orthotics in your normal walking shoes? If so, wear them in your badminton shoes as well. If not, you are obviously not that concerned about being flat-footed, so why worry about your badminton shoes? If flat-feet cause you problems you should wear your orthotics all the time. There is no cure, they are just a way of fixing the biomechanics. I believe it does help to strengthen your arches and ankles by walking on sand, standing calf-raises etc, because I think these things make your arches and ankles stronger, minimise any further falling, and help to stop your feet rolling which leads to ankle sprain. But that is just my opinion, and many podiatrists may not agree with me.

I wear Mizumi shoes and love them, although they are hard to get in Oz. I slip in my orthotics before playing.

Cheers,
    Clive
    Ranges Badminton Club, South Australia
    www.rangesbadminton.net

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Your reply is about 4 years late.
    Even so, it is a good read :)