The pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Furqan, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    Hi.
    I am currently having pains in my left arm..(im a lefty)..when i clear with soem force..or smash......twice , thrice or more..even sometimes at start of game...ie warmups..i get those..and during game they are just too much.....they are someewhere between my elbow and shoulder...sometimes they are beloew the elbow as well..but not in shoulder....not in elbow.
    i am a very VERY skinny dude, i like only weight 45 kgs now...at age of 16..height 5.9

guess i should consult a doctor????if its a serious thing? or i would get this pain faded away with time?

2. dragon62

dragon62 Regular Member

wow what a coincidence, When i was 15, i think i was 5'7, anyways yeah i had the same thing. I noticed that my form and stroke were off and i think some of the blades/bones were rubbing everything i smashed or cleared hard.

After developing new technique and using some Deep and Cold lotion to relieve the current pain it went away for a while and it hasnt come back..

3. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I had that once but that was because I was doing pushups and I hurt my arm.

It felt weird, I kept trying to swing my arm because I felt like I needed to snap something back in place.

I slept the pain off.

4. RedWeenie

RedWeenie Regular Member

To me it sounds like someone has Tennis Elbow... ;)

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Pain, pain go away

It could be growing pains; any recents growth spurts? It could be tennis elbow. Do you feel pain in the tricep muscles or is it closer to the elbow? Are pains that are close to the elbow on the out-side part of the arm or the in-side part? (If your arms hang down by your sides with your palms facing forward, then the in-side is the part of the arm that is closest to the body).

Warm up slowly; start with easy clears, not forceful ones. Warm up thoroughly. When playing, be sure that you are gripping the racket lightly most of the time. Your arm & shoulder should also be pretty relaxed... do NOT muscle your shots. Use a lot of body (especially upper body) rotation when clearing or smashing... this should take a lot of stress of the arm and shoulder.

Yes, consult a physician.

6. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    btw that pain goes away after like 10 minutes when i stop...and btw....i have this pain since i was 8,9..whenever i used to throw a ball with all my force..i used to get this...but it goes away after 10 minutes.

God....you people are making me afraid of having tennis elbow btw.
    and yeah they are outer side

what are other symptoms of tenis elbow??

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    If the pain subsides after only 10 min of stopping, I'm not so sure that you actually have tendinitis (tennis elbow). Tendinitis is pain resulting from inflammation due to tears (or micro-tears) in the tendons. The pain from tendinitis usually lasts for days, weeks or months. You may be experiencing an early stage of overuse of the muscles & tendons. Do you feel any tension or tightness in the muscles (forearm or tricep muscles) or do you only feel pain closer to the elbow.

It's also curious, that you say that your pain is on the outer side. Inflammation close to the elbow on the outside part of the arm is usually due to backhand motion in tennis & badminton rather than overhead shots & (overhand) throwing motions.

It seems that you were saying that the pain is both above & below the elbow, correct? Is it always on the outside part? Is it always close to the elbow?

As I suggested before warm up gradually & thoroughly. Do not try to hit hard right away. After you've warmed up, do some arm stretches for the shoulder, triceps & forearm muscles.

It is possible that you may have been muscling your throws as well as some of your badminton shots. When ppl try to 'muscle' when throwing or hitting badminton power shots, they often tense up the muscles of the shoulder & arm and don't use enuff of their legs or body rotation to generate the power. Besure that both your grip & your arm muscles are pretty much relaxed (and not tensing up un-naturally).

8. Ricky Saunders

Ricky Saunders Regular Member

Yup, what's important is that you warm up and stretch, e.g. light jogging in place for a couple of minutes together with stretching before you play is essential. Light jogging increases body temperature which prevents injury.

I used to suffer from elbow pain too (tendinitis or sometimes called tennis/golfer's elbow - depending on which part of the elbow hurts). Sometimes during/after playing there would be shooting pain in, above or below my elbow. My grip would also be very weak after games. Experts said best cure is usually rest (very hard for us baddicts), as long as your injury isn't too bad yet. I had to stop playing for a month for the pain to go away.

Since then, I had been meticulous about my warm-ups and stretching. Also I don't do powerful and/or jump smashes till I have warmed up/played for around 10-15 minutes to ensure my body/arm is thoroughly warmed-up. I bought one of those elbow straps and it seems to help.

Additional advice: if and when your pain is gone, strengthen your shoulder, forearm and arm muscles with light weights. This will help absorb the impact of your strokes and help prevent injury.