New BG66??

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by FEND., Jan 1, 2005.

1. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Is this the one you guys have been commenting about?? I bought 10 packs of this (1 box) when i was moving to perth. I thought it was old stock and din bother checking if it was the new one or not...

Attached Files:

2. He Minwei

He Minwei Regular Member

Student
    So how was the performance of this new BG-66?Is it better than the new BG-85 or same as the old BG-66/BG-85?

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

I haven't actually tried it, haven't got a game since I came to Perth. Prolly by this wednesday. My sister and I have played a bit thou, but just hitting serves and I feel the tension is more equalised?? maybe caused it's newly strung and all. But there's definitely more repulsion at the same tension compared to the older one. Prolly by wednesday if brenn can get a court then i'll play and find out :)

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yeah, this is the new packaging (as others), and I have a bunch of those here as well :)

5. He Minwei

He Minwei Regular Member

Student
    Somebody in the forum said that the new BG-66 repulsive power is greater than the old BG-66 and old/new BG-85.Is this true?

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have more than two boxes of new and old BG66 of each, and I don't find much of difference between them.

The reason the power graph in the back of the string pack is different is probably because:

1. Yonex changed the scale of the graph due to newer strings introduced, such as BG65P, 75TI, 88TI, CBG100. When there are new things, it is very common to see the scale is changed as well. Or,
    2. Yonex re-evaluated the graph and made corresponding changes to it.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Your assumptions do not support the packet's headings "Great Repulsion" and "High Repulsion". Pls note Yonex rates BG68 Ti and the New BG66 as having great repulsion power. The current BG80, BG85, Old BG66 and others continue to be rated high repulsion or durability or Titanium Power, all of them below BG68 Ti and the New BG66 in repulsion power or resilience. Also should Yonex make changes to the graphs, they should change the graphs of all their strings, not just BG68 Ti and the New BG66. It doesn't make sense to be selective to the extent of deceiving the public. But they haven't done that, have they? By your logic, all Yonex high repulsion strings should now be changed to great repulsion power. But Yonex has not done this.

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    So, Are you saying when there is a packaging change, there "must" be a difference? That's not always true.

My opinions came from my usages. There is no enough of difference to make me feel the difference between old and new BG66.

"Great" and "High" are both meaning above average. However, which one is greater? I don't know because I didn't write that thing. It's just the wording, and if you must say 66 or 68TI is defintely greater, then I don't have problems with it but it probably would go back to the topic of which string is the most powerful string -> ends up with personal preference.

If the string is indeed different, why don't they just mark it as "BG66 Power"? (Or something like that) So this would bring more money and more customers buying, as newer things normally attract more buyers. Think about the difference between BG65 and BG65 Power, and you should get what I am saying.

PS: Not to mention the chance of Yonex making mistakes on packaging and testing before. (Perhaps the new/old measurement was wrong.....etc)

9. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Also notice that, old stock strings (green packs) only include: BG65, 66, 70pro, 80, 85.

Newer strings, such as BG65TI, 68TI, 88TI, 65Power, 75TI, CBG100 are never in the green packs. Hence, their scales might not be 100% corresponding to the strings above before there was a united packaging.

So, what I said about the scaling is possible, but not limited to.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I am not saying a packaging change always brings any difference. The new blue packaging change on BG80 and BG85 still bears the "High Repulsion" and the old repulsion graph rating of the old packaging. In contrast, the new blue packaging on BG66 has the "Great Repulsion" heading and the changed repulsion graph, consistent with the changed repulsion power.
    You may feel both the new and the old BG66 are similar in repulsion power, but that is not the point here.
    Naming a string "BG66 Power" as a brand is different from rating a string's repulsion or other characteristics. BG66 Power, if there is any, would be a new brand which will not replace BG66, but another string. Coming out with an improved BG66 that has more repulsion or improved other characteristics to replace an existing brand like the old BG66 does not merit a brand name change if the fundamental design of the string has not changed. For example, a 2005 VW Golf VR6 with 270bhp is still the same brand as a 2000 172bhp VW Golf VR6.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

In English "Great" is greater than "High". It is not just playing with words as you imply, because the difference is crystal clear in the English language.

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Taking the Car example here is a bad move because there is a significant difference between the 2000 and 2005 car, even the same model. It's the same saying as a 2000 packed BG65 (green pack) is worse than the 2005 packed BG65 (new pack)

What I was saying about the naming the new BG66 as BG66 Power is that, if there is a indeed difference.

If I am Yonex, and there is a difference with the new Yonex BG66, I will do the following:

1. Keep the old formula of BG66 and just package it with new looks.
    2. Keep the new formula of BG66 and package it with new looks along with "power" wording on it.

However, it would be wrong to do such a thing if there is no difference between them. Since there is no BG66 Power so far, I would say, there is probably no difference between the old and new stock of BG66. The wording on the packs changed for whatever Yonex's reasons (which we will never know if they don't tell), but at least in the performance wise, I don't feel much of difference.

13. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am not sure about that, as those two words are used in differet ways.

For example, when you are using electric products, the power level is usually marked as: Low, Medium, High. or Min, Low, Medium, High, Max.

I have yet to see anything marked as "Greater" or "Great". Since I know Yonex does know the word "MAX" from previous products, if I am Yonex, I would use "MAX" meaning better than "High" if needed. "Greater" in this area is very vague as it can mean "Greater than normal" or "Greater than High".....etc.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Maybe you are not familiar with Yonex's badminton string graph. The graph depicts a string's five properties using a standard base of 5 points. Each string is then assigned a value on the 5 properties against the standard 5 points. This graph and its 5 points standard does not change for any string, be it old green packing or new blue packing.
    I suggest you get a copy of Yonex's old and new catalogs, where you can find ratings of old packing and new packing Yonex strings, which will show no such mixing of "apples with oranges". All the graphs on new and old strings are consistently based, which are in turn consistent with the front packet's ratings of great repulsion, high repulsion, etc.

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

mmm.

Still not every bg66 user has had a say about it... other than bluejeff and taneepak. Anyone else wanna have a go at it?

16. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    lol, Why don't you get a old and new BG66 string (in packs) and see the graph yourself. I had catalogs before, but better than that, I have all strings here, so I can read directly to the string packs.

The quantity of measurement is the same except the repulsion power changed from 8 to 9. (Read this very carefully)
    However, the graph scaling is different. The Max possible of reading of old stock is 8; The new stock is 10. This doesn't necessary mean there is a difference between them, as the max possible of the old string was only 8.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The English language would sound out of place using the word great to describe electric power like watts or voltage. However, words like high repulsion and great repulsion fit to a T when describing a badminton string's repulsion power. Using "MAX" to describe a string's repulsion power doesn't mean anything as it is more suited to the maximum mark of electric cookers, some of which have only 500 watts and another 3000 watts. You can get maximum power from a lousy string if you smack the racquet hard enough.
    I hope we don't see strange words being misused in badminton.
    In Hong Kong I am still amazed hearing names like Miss Apple Wong or Miss December Chan.

18. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    From the back of the packs it says:

Old Stock BG66:
    Core: Synthetic Multifilament
    Outer: Broided Synthetic Fiber

New Stock BG66:
    Core: Special Synthetic Multifilament
    Outer: Special Braided Synthetic Fiber

Does this make new BG66 better? (with the word "Special")
    I don't know:rolleyes: because I see this as well on the BG80 string packs:

Old Stock BG80:
    Core: Synthetic Multifilament core with Vectran
    Outer: Braided oval shaped synthetic fiber

New Stock BG80:
    Core: Special Synthetic Multifilament core with Vectran
    Outer: Braided oval shaped synthetic fiber

This wordying change applies to other strings as well (too lazy to type all out), I see the same thing (adding "special") to newer BG65 ,too.

#18 bluejeff, Jan 2, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  19. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yonex probably made a mistake on spelling on the old BG66.:p

I can't find "Broided" on www.dictionary.com

(It should be "braided" as printed as other strings)

PS: Yeah, I double checked on the packs. Yonex printed it wrong, it was not me :D

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am used to Yonex's weird English as Yonex Racquets names and wording on the rackets are always like that. :D