badminton statistics?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ironchef, Jan 1, 2005.

1. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

maybe badminton needs more quantifiable 'stats'. If you notice, in all of the major popular sports, there are pages and pages of statistics on every aspect of that particular sport, such as basketball. Maybe stuff like smashes per rally, or unforced errors and points won by opponent off unforced errors. This would give commentators something else to talk about during breaks, and before games, and would give some sort of comparison between players, other than just their head to head record. just a thought

2. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    if im not wrong, they have it in athens 2004 website , when i was about to see the complete results i think i saw it,,:rolleyes:

3. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

He's right

in tennis they have stats for everything *during commentary*.... 1st serve percentage, double faults, aces, number of winners, number of errors, court coverage, how many times at the net and everything else u can imagine

people love statistics... i personally dont care - but then again i wouldn't mind - they definately should use them to enhance the viewing experience.

there are atleast 2 dozen things they could do to make watching badminton more enjoyabe - things that do not require changing the sport and ruining it for the people who love it how it is.

4. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Agreed!!not just statistcs but they should also have a speedometer to measure the speed of the shuttle,then if a player smashes @ 200kmph or more ,atleast people will know!!:D

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    High-speed shot analysis

Let's take it a step further... in addition to radar for measuring serving speed, tennis TV coverage has been using high-speed camera systems such as Hawk-Eye for shot/game analysis. These types of systems were developed for cricket and then adapted for making line calls in tennis. I don't know if they are quite good enuff yet for making accurate line calls for tennis (cuz of ball compression & skid footprints), but they are a great tool for game analysis. You can show what areas of the court a given player places their shots.

Actually, a system like this might be better for making line calls in badminton than it is in tennis. In badmiton, we don't really need to bother about cork compression or elongated footprints (due to rolling & skidding when a ball bounces). Therefore a system such as Hawk-Eye could be used for line-calling as well as for shot placement analysis.

http://www.hawkeyeinnovations.co.uk
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3851023.stm