Hello Vancouver is my home everyone

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by abcdefghijklmno, Jan 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abcdefghijklmno

abcdefghijklmno Regular Member

Badminton
    Hi, go read my introduction thread, I m new on bf, i want to meet some friends who like to play badminton with me in vancouver or lower mainland, my skill level is advance compared to the community centers i play and i always win my games so if u r up to the challenge please reply. and tell me about your skill levels and where to play. i like completitive games.

Discuss.

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    welcome aboard. which community centers have you been playing at. it sounds like you have quickly outgrown them and need a more challenging environment. since there are many local BF'ers, we can give you some recommendations.

have you been to collingwood, britannia or any of the richmond clubs?

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I know a guy who could win ALL his games, regardless of which (ALL)community centre he frequents, including Collingwood, which has pretty high standards, but not including ClearOne and maybe Cambie in Richmond; I believe Eric Ngiam plays there :D

So the "advance" level you've tagged yourself is maybe relative to where you play, and hence the sound advice of badrad. It's probably time for you to upgrade to more challenging games at more competitive community centres.

Do you have any preference in where you'd like to play?

-dave

#3 wood_22_chuck, Jan 3, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  4. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    You'll find little "pockets" of really good badminton in some small places. There was a club in langley that had several really strong players ( mostly doubles) that would break out the feather shuttles when I was there. White Rock area primarly rec players and not that great for competition. VRC and Clear One have a wide range of talent that can take you right up to national level players.

5. abcdefghijklmno

Badminton
    ohic..thanks guys for the recommendations, i think that is true one mountain is taller than one mountain. But i still hope i can beat everyone.

Discuss.

6. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    I think it is safe to say that there is always someone who plays better than you but for most of us...having a good game is more important than beating everyone. You should try playing some of the provincial tournaments if you want some competition

7. abcdefghijklmno

Badminton
    It seems most of you here are much more experience than me and know the many good players. Is it possible to name the best players from each club or community center so I can go there directly to challenge them myself to compare my level with theirs.

Discuss.

8. TTT

TTT Regular Member

well I think this page has your answer.

http://www.badmintonbc.com/pages/ranking/ranking.asp

The names there are people who are pretty much or close to "the best" that you can find locally. You'll notice that a majority of people are from Vancouver Racquets Club (VRC) or Vancouver Lawn and Tennis Club (VLT). So your best bet is to join those clubs.

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    in your introduction thread you mention that Richho is more advanced than you. that could help us to gauge, and offer you recommendations. why don't you try britannia on friday night or saturdays. look for a guy named Mike and beat him up!

10. abcdefghijklmno

Badminton
    Thx Badrad for your recommendation of challenge, i will try to goto Britannia on friday or sat if i m not busy and beat him up.

Discuss.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    We shouldn't use the word "beat up" ;) . Let's be civilized :D . And who's Mike anyway?

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    TOOOOO FUNNEEEE!!! :D ... sorry ... you remember in my previous posting I said I know this guy who can consistently win all his games in any community centre he visits? Well, it's this Mike guy from Brittania.

Good luck in your quest, and please post the results/review of that match here.

-dave

13. BTC2004

BTC2004 Regular Member

Is this the same Mike N that also plays at Collingwood? Well, if you you show up at Collingwood on Sundays 10am-1pm, there are about half a dozen younger players (if they show up) that are of compatible level. We play feather shuttles and it is generally a friendly atmosphere but competitive double games.

Cheers

14. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Where about is Collingwood. I'm trying to think if I've been there, but I'm semi-certain I'm thinking of a different club.

15. richho

richho Regular Member

CSR

badrad will doubt your level if i am more advanced than you.In fact,abecde is just humble , i am way subpar than him,abcde,you might take badrad's recommendations and try to play against mike and I wish you a victory. I am now worried about that I might get in trouble for in your introduction you said i can beat most of the players. I don't want to be targeted. :crying:

16. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    It's the place on Joyce Street near a Skytrain station (i.e. Joyce). It's a gym inside a neighbourhood house. Our fellow BFer Break-My-String runs the session. The session runs on Sunday mornings.

17. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    This thread is just too funny. :D :D :D :D I was just ROTFLMAO!!

I can just picture abcdefghijklmno going into each playing facility and stare at each of the players there and then slowly going "My name is Chen and I'm the weakest student at Jin Wo Mun and I'm here to challenge you all" (paraphrasing from Bruce Lee's Fists of Fury) :D :D :D

Well, come out to Richmond Badminton Club on sundays and I'm sure I can arrange for some good games for you.

Hey, maybe we should get SmashingBird to take up the challenge!!! ;)

18. richho

richho Regular Member

CSR
    abcdefghijklmno,

Ohyah, WWC reminded me of Smashingbird.Did you played with him before? He claims himself an experienced novice however he is actually such a player who is speedy ,powerful and skillful and sometimes playful,and he has something in common with you that he likes to be challenged and challenge others. He is aggressive while he also has winning personality which is humble and courteous to everyone. You should meet him up and have a good game.
    :)

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I think the guy is SB's friend. He probably showed up at VRC on Sat. According to TTT, the guy is even more spectacular than SB.

20. TTT

TTT Regular Member

??? I didn't go on Sat. I have no idea who the guy is. I don't think SB knows either!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.