proper badminton footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Jan 3, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

What is the proper footwork? What is your ready position? (i saw a site saying that you place your left foot first if you're right handed) From there how do you go to a specific point such as going to the forehand net corner, or backhand net corner, then what do you do if you drop, wat do you do if you clear, what do you do if you drop to the other corner???? Then from the ready position what do you do to get to the round the head corner??
    Thanks

2. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Three ways you can learn good footwork:
    1. Get a proper coach to demonstrate and teach you.
    2. Watch a good local player play and study his footwork.
    3. Download a badminton vid from eMule and study how the pro's play, make sure the vid is one of a singles though.

I don't think anyone can teach you extensively how the proper footworks are just by posting a reply on a msg board. It is something you have to see for yourself to truly understand. My only advice for you is, when you've learned the footwork, practice it. It will feel awkward at first, because your body is not used to moving like that, but the more you practice the better it'll be.

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Iwan is correct. This amount of info that is required to answer all your footwork questions sufficiently would be a major chore in this format.

For serve receive, the left foot is definitely forward (for a righty).

For other situations, it differs. If you are talking about a ready position at a (central-ish) home base then your stance can either be neutral or with the left foot forward (for righties). I believe that those who recommend that the left foot is forward, say that this foot is only slighty forward of the right foot.

Other situations may vary. It's best to watch some videos if you don't have a coach. Besides looking for vids on eMule, you could also check out some the vids listed below. Footwork is covered in Part 1 (Disc 1) in the IBF Training video. You can find the URL at the following link:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19240&page=3

You might also want to check out the footwork video at the Lee Jae Bok site:

www.IBBS.tv

#3 SystemicAnomaly, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005