NEWS : Kim Her to coach South Koreans

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by kwun, Jan 3, 2005.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [size=-1]The Star Online > Sports[/size]
    Tuesday January 4, 2005
    [size=+2]Kim Her to coach South Koreans[/size]

BY RAJES PAUL KUALA LUMPUR: National men’s doubles badminton back-up coach Tan Kim Her has earned himself a rare honour – he has been appointed as the national men’s doubles coach for South Korea, the world powerhouses in the men’s doubles.

The 34-year-old Kim Her will become the first Malaysian to coach one of badminton’s big four - Indonesia, South Korea, Denmark and China.

Malaysia have engaged many foreign coaches, including former Korean doubles star Park Joo-bong and Danish hero Morten Frost, but no Malaysian has coached any of the big teams before.

Kim Her will relinquish his six-year career as a coach in Malaysia today.

Although his job with South Korea officially starts on Feb 1, Kim Her will be with his new team during the Korean Open in Incheon City from Jan 25-30.

The strongly-built Kim Her chose not to reveal the deal offered to him but it is believed that he will be paid higher than any coach in Malaysia.

Kim Her was elated with the turn of fortunes.

“It is certainly a great honour not only for me but to all the local coaches. It shows that we have the ability, too. This should lift the morale and standard of the local coaches,†said Kim Her, whose best results in his not-so-successful playing career was reaching the semi-finals of the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games with Soo Beng Kiang.

“All these happened quite recently. I was approached by the Korean chief coach during the Indonesian Open recently (Dec 13-19). I was interested and we discussed matters in depth,†said Kim Her. “They offered me a four-year contract. But I wanted it to be reviewed every year.â€

Asked if he would be in charge of the South Korean men’s doubles department, he said: “It looks like it. My target is to focus on their back-up players and get them ready for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. The next Asian Games (in Doha in 2006) is also very important to them.

“I will also have players like Kim Dong-moon-Ha Tae-kwon (the former world champions and Athens Olympic gold medallists) but they are independent enough and will be valuable sparring partners. Lee Dong-soo (another formidable Korean doubles player) is now a player-cum-coach. He will be assisting me with the coaching too.

“But I am strictly under the charge of the Korean chief coach. All national coaches will be given training programmes and I cannot change their weight-training programme. But I have a free hand when it comes to stroke development.â€

Kim Her said he would be professional in carrying out his duties.

“It is a good opportunity for me to learn the South Korean way of doing things. They are a disciplined lot. I have picked up bits and pieces on coaching when I was under the tutelage of Frost and Joo-bong and current chief coach Yap Kim Hock. I am still learning and this process of improving oneself will definitely not stop,†said Kim Her, who also plans to pick up the language.

“There will always be pressure to perform as a coach. Unlike a player, a coach has so many responsibilities over so many players. Besides developing the back-up players and getting them ready for the Olympics and Asian Games, I will also help South Korea to produce good results in the Open tournaments.

“Many asked if I would reveal the strength and weaknesses of the Malaysian team to the Koreans. All I can only say is that I will be professional,†said Kim Her, who will be leaving behind his former international bowler wife Sharon Low and his two young children Brandon (two years old) and Bernice (two months old).

“I will come back to Malaysia. And the knowledge and experience learnt in South Korea will help me be a better coach. It will be useful if I am offered a place again here in Malaysia in future.â€

On his six-year coaching job in Malaysia, Kim Her said: “There is always a gush of excitement when I see the youngsters produce good results. I have seen many moving up the ranks and it is satisfying.â€

Among the junior pairs who have showed marked improvement under the guidance of Kim Her are Lin Woon Fui-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari and Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif.

The others who were also under his guidance at one stage of their career are Tan Bin Shen, Ong Soon Hock and Koo Kien Keat. All these players are already posing threats to the senior players around the world.

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Someone put me out of my misery.....

Lol. I saw the news but heck din even notice much till mom told me bout it. AH well. Just hope he will learn much from it and bring his expereience home one day!!! Btw he has good people under him!!!

#2 FEND., Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  3. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Yeah, I've noticed in 2004 during a lot of tournaments, the Korean coaches sitting courtside look pretty young and inexperienced, ex-players who've barely finished playing.

I think the Korean Bad Assoc is probably worried about the next generation of men's doubles players. There doesn't seem to be any strong youngsters coming through (all too busy playing online computer games).

Kim/Ha and Lee/Yoo will leave a big vacuum when they completely stop playing.

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    FINALLY! :) Malaysia's wealth in knowledge and experience of badminton is finally being recognized. perhaps this will finally change the mindset of the local badminton community whom has always trivialized and taken for granted the depth and scope of our own malaysian coaches.

i've said it before in this forum........ look at the grassroots and you will find many.

some may say this is at Malaysia's benefit.... that TKH will be able to learn from the foreigners and bring that knowledge home to Malaysia. but i believe him leaving is actually a great loss to Malaysia. but at least we are finally being recognized... accredited in the eyes of the world. :)

that was a very astute move by the koreans... they took note of the malaysian's progress in junior and the back-up squad. and then lured the fish in. im sure TKH will be very commited and profesional during his tenure in korea. i personally dont see him coming back to coach for malaysia unless it would be the top post. perhaps after a few years he may even be offered coaching positions in other countries. time will tell.

maju sukan untuk negara (progress sports for the nation= rough translation from malay)

jug

5. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    picture of kim her from thestar.com.my article

lin dan watch out :D

Attached Files:

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    We will see how he perform as a coach in Korea. :) I'm sure he will be able to contribute alot to the Koreans.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Is Tan Kim Her returning to Malaysia in 2007 ???

Greetings,

Is Tan Kim Her returning to Malaysia in 2007 ???

Perhaps, the salary is not high enough.

Here is an article.

Cheers... chris@ccc

====== start article ======

Bernama 31-Dec-2006
    Make up your mind quick, Kim Her

BAM honorary secretary P. Ganga Rao said that an official offer with the monthly salary stated, had been given to Kim Her in August.

"In fact, we also told him specifically that we want him to join the Project 2010-2012 squad headed by Rashid Sidek as his doubles coach. All had been agreed but until today, we have not heard from him officially.

"All we read is what transpired in the newspapers that he doesn’t want to be involved in coaching here (this group of players) and wants to coach there (another group of players) which is baffling," he said.

The BAM council met in Johor Baru yesterday.

"The council felt that since the BAM has made him an offer, he should come back to us. It’s like any job offer. We offered him a job in good faith but if you do not want us, say so. You just cannot keep us waiting."

Kim Her, a former BAM coach joined the South Korea BA in 2005 but he has since expressed his desire to return home and had spoken to BAM officials during the Thomas Cup final rounds in Tokyo last May.

Meanwhile, BAM president Datuk Nadzmi Salleh announced the appointment of Kenny Goh as the new BAM general manager, taking over from Ganga Rao who will assume the post of general manager of the Badminton World Federation effective tomorrow.

"But Ganga Rao will continue to serve as the honorary secretary of the BAM until it is decided otherwise (the BAM secretary is appointed by the president).

"And the council did deliberate whether Ganga Rao’s new posting as the manager of the BWF will clash with his duties as the BAM secretary. We don’t think so but should such a situation arise, then Ganga Rao will stay out of deliberations and discussions," said Nadzmi.

The Kuantan-born Goh, 42, is a former Physical Education teacher and holds a degree in sports science.

====== end article ======

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Well there is a little disagreement between Kim Her and BAM. However nothing bad happened.

9. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i would say the best asian coaches out there at the moment are rexy, joo bong and kim her.
    it's good news for MAS MD that rexy is with us, hopefully we can hold on to him for some time to come.
    kim her coming back would also be a great boost.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It would be great if TKH can return home to coach Malaysia

Hi ants,

I bet that you, been so close to many National Players and Coaches, know the whole story.

But then, I agree with you...... We should not talk too much about their disagreements or their conflicts.

We, as Malaysians, should hope that their disagreements can be resolved.

And it would be great if TKH can return home to coach !!! :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Its really up to Kim Her. Bam has already Lay out their plans and his job scope if he decide to go back and coach for Msia. But i do agree that It would be difinately Great if he comes back.

12. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Ants,
    Have just seen this "Tan Kim Her of Malaysia has been appointed as the new men’s doubles coach. The 35-year-old was Korea’s head coach for the same discipline previously" as part of a badminton section in the UK Sport e-bulletin

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

ah, i did hear somewhere that he was planning to join BAE .... hmmm, has this been confirmed?

14. gary_seeker

gary_seeker Regular Member

Students
    Don't forget Christian Hadinata

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I thought so too but now is he going to coach Australia? :confused:

Maybe Chris can confirm. ;)

16. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    huh????? where exeactly is kim her coaching now???

17. ants

ants Regular Member

KIM HER is coaching in ENGLAND. YOu will see him in action during the Sudirman cup as their doubles coach. He is happy to be there in England right now. Enjoying every minute of it.

#17 ants, May 24, 2007
    Last edited: May 24, 2007
  18. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    thx ants..

just read it in badzine.info.... it is said that his family is settled down and is suited the way of English life... hmmm i wonder.. but i definitely cant cuz MAS is and will alwats be my home... :D

19. ants

ants Regular Member

There will be another article coming out soon in Badzine about Kim her.