User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 25
  1. #1
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Dogs on the street : What will you do?

    I walked over to the house owner's friend's residence to pay the rent just now and on the way I saw three or four dogs on the road, as if alerted to my presence as I came closer. As I've done often, I just ignored them and walked on by.

    Most times it'll be fine but there could be situations when they start to get unruly and growl, following you with their pretty fangs glistening under the moonlight.

    Good thing the dogs ignored me although on my way back they were coming my direction, alerted by the dog which began barking next door.

    If it were for you, what would you have done?

    1. Take a longer route to avoid them.
    2. Just act cool and hope that you bore them.
    3. Take a stick and protect yourself.
    4. Tempt fate and growled at them.
    Last edited by wilfredlgf; 01-04-2005 at 07:08 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Indo
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf
    I walked over to the house owner's friend's residence to pay the rent just now and on the way I saw three or four dogs on the road, as if alerted to my presence as I came closer. As I've done often, I just ignored them and walked on by.

    Most times it'll be fine but there could be situations when they start to get unruly and growl, following you with their pretty fangs glistening under the moonlight.

    Good thing the dogs ignored me although on my way back they were coming my direction, alerted by the dog which began barking next door.

    If it were for you, what would you have done?

    1. Take a longer route to avoid them.
    2. Just act cool and hope that you bore them.
    3. Take a stick and protect yourself.
    4. Tempt fate and growled at them.
    well, can i say none of the 4 above? well, i may take longer route, or maybe act cool but walk lil bit faster, faster, and when u're sure that they cant see u anymore, just run for ur life!(haha, exaggerating here), or maybe wait for some people who may on their way to go somewhere and have to pass that route, and then walk with them, at least that way i feel safer i guess

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    2,784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aiyuuw
    well, can i say none of the 4 above? well, i may take longer route, or maybe act cool but walk lil bit faster, faster, and when u're sure that they cant see u anymore, just run for ur life!(haha, exaggerating here), or maybe wait for some people who may on their way to go somewhere and have to pass that route, and then walk with them, at least that way i feel safer i guess
    1) Do NOT and I mean DO NOT make eye contact with the dogs. Dogs are territorial animals and they take it as a challenge.

    2) Do NOT walk FASTER. Dogs will chase, it's in their instincts.

    3) Do NOT Attempt to give a pack of dogs a fight. You'll end up on the worse side of it.

    Precautions when walking a road where dogs are. When you see the dog, do not give eye contact. Keep cool, bowing your head and walking slowly past them. Don't let your nerves show so easily. Do not cross their path. Just walk calmly and slowly. And do NOT make any sudden movements.

    When or if you are attacked by a dog, please defend your throat area. By all means lie down facing the floor. And use your arms to cover your ears and throat. When dogs attack they go for these parts of the body. If they bite your throat and rip it off, your airpassage will be limited and yes you will die. So lie down on the floor and curl yourself up and use your arms again to cover ears and neck. Shout for help.

    If a weapon is nearby, as in a blunt object use it to hit the dogs. Do not use sharp objects, in your adrenaline rush, you might hurt yourself. A stick or something to wack the dogs will be enough. Stand your ground and do not run. Dogs will chase and unless you can do a Marion Jones kinda thing for 2 straight kilometers then follow my advice. If you do kill a dog in defense, say a prayer for the dog. I'm sure he'll appreciate it when the dog reaches heaven. (Not a joke).

    This is all the info I can provide for now. If I remember more tips, I'll post them here.

    FEND.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Kill em with your bare hands

    Probably take a different route to be on the safe side, Fend gives reasons why it is not good to act instinctivley towards pack animanls.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    TW
    Posts
    3,949
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would consider two options:
    1. Take the black ones and bring them to Chinese restaurants !
    2. Use empty shuttle cans as sticks and hit them hard if they attack you

  6. #6
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluejeff
    I would consider two options:
    1. Take the black ones and bring them to Chinese restaurants !
    2. Use empty shuttle cans as sticks and hit them hard if they attack you
    The RSPCA will get you man! hheheh..

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ants
    The RSPCA will get you man! hheheh..
    Not if he runs away fast enough afterwards

  8. #8
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dill
    Not if he runs away fast enough afterwards

    Maybe RSPCA will send their trained guard dogs to track him down..

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ants
    Maybe RSPCA will send their trained guard dogs to track him down..
    and if the guard dogs are black as well...they'll end up in the restaurant too

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FEND.
    1) Do NOT and I mean DO NOT make eye contact with the dogs. Dogs are territorial animals and they take it as a challenge.

    2) Do NOT walk FASTER. Dogs will chase, it's in their instincts.

    3) Do NOT Attempt to give a pack of dogs a fight. You'll end up on the worse side of it.

    Precautions when walking a road where dogs are. When you see the dog, do not give eye contact. Keep cool, bowing your head and walking slowly past them. Don't let your nerves show so easily. Do not cross their path. Just walk calmly and slowly. And do NOT make any sudden movements.
    That explains what happened to me a couple months ago.

    I was walking on a trail and saw a rottiweller and a small dog was sitting on one side. About 100 yards from them, I stopped and hestitated. Then the 2 dogs stood up and stared at me. I stood there thinking what I should do. Then there was a mal jogger jogging from the other end ran past the 2 dogs, and they ignored him! Then there were another female jogger ran past the 2 dogs and again they ignored her and kept staring at me. I turned around and started walking back to me car. And they started running after me. Luckly I got in my car in time, and they stopped and went back.

  11. #11
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qidong
    That explains what happened to me a couple months ago.

    I was walking on a trail and saw a rottiweller and a small dog was sitting on one side. About 100 yards from them, I stopped and hestitated. Then the 2 dogs stood up and stared at me. I stood there thinking what I should do. Then there was a mal jogger jogging from the other end ran past the 2 dogs, and they ignored him! Then there were another female jogger ran past the 2 dogs and again they ignored her and kept staring at me. I turned around and started walking back to me car. And they started running after me. Luckly I got in my car in time, and they stopped and went back.

    Well lesson is dont look at the dog.. my dog trainer told me that , when you look at the dog straight in the eye.. it means I'm your Master ( If the dog don't like it ..well you will know what happens ). Its like a Challenge look. Even wild Tigers and Lions.. they dont really look each other straight in the eye.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    or you could establish dominance first...lol
    heard one way of doing that is to bite the dog's ear...
    do that and the dogs won't bother u the next time ur in the area
    *spits out all the dog hair*

    this goes to show...you should always have at least 1 racket with u at all times

    the funny thing is...the dogs in my area dont bother my mom....and my mom looks them in the eyes and smiles *showing her teeth in the process*...and they dont growl lol

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    But if the dog is a 100lb rottiweller, it takes a lot of courage to establish dominance... even with a racquet in your hand.
    Last edited by Qidong; 01-04-2005 at 05:40 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On the other hand if it's Snoop Dogg, I presume it to be safe to run to him and get his autograph, "Yo Snoop, great job ya did with tha Lizard Man's classic, ya know'? Riders on tha Storm? Rocks!".

    Why do dogs chase after you if you look at them and/or if they sense fear and nervousness?

    This reminds me of the character Usui in the Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X series, who uses Shin Gan [Heart of The Eye] to listen to the muscles and the heart of the his opponents, knowing where they will come from and what they feel at the moment. He need not look (he was blinded by Ishin's new hitokiri [manslayer], Shishio, in an encounter during the Bakumatsu [final days of the Tokugawa shogunate dynasty] anyway), and he knows where his opponent, the post-Shinsengumi [19th century Japanese equivalent of the CIA] police officer Saitoh Hajime, and using his own counter.

    For dogs, I think it's similar - they have poor eyesight really, in fact, they're colour blind. I believe their supreme sense of hearing and smell can detect whether you are ignoring them or are alerted. Human, once in alert mode, will have an elevated pace of heartbeat. Dogs are 'dumb', so they probably think we're getting ready to fight. The sweat coming out of your pore probably gives them the sense that you are getting ready to duke it out.

    In that situation, reminded me of Kenshin's first meeting with the smiling Tenken [God-of-Sword] Soujiro at the village, Saitoh explaining to Misao [the weasel girl ] that since he (Kenshin) cannot read his opponent, then there is no counter. When there's no counter, he will have to attack first.

    So, the dog would normally attack first since the mutt won't know at all what you will be doing in this 'fight'.

    A satisfactory theory on a dog's pscyhe in territorial defence?

    p/s - I LOVE the RK series.

    I don't think advising Qidong to assert his authority would be a correct thing to do - I've read enough of those stories on the papers...

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In other words the correct answer is:

    None of the suggested, DRIVE EVERYWHERE, car would be good but a tank better

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    us
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Funny, now it triggers my memory. I like dogs but … …

    I camped out at some farmland with bunch of friend long long long time ago. There was an outdoor basketball court about quarter miles from our camp side. I waked up so early in the morning while everyone was still sleeping. So I went to the Bcourt alone to shoot some hoops.

    When I got to the court and just before taking the first aim at the basket, I saw about 10-15 dogs charging towards me with loud barks. I was totally stunned and scared that I couldn’t even move my legs to run. I stood absolutely still there and thinking that my life will soon be over. To my surprise, all the dogs stopped sharp at once when they got to about a few meters of me and they became so quiet all at once and all of them looked at me with a little bit surprise in their eyes.

    I was so scared that I almost PmyPANTS. Then the basketball rolled off from my hand and made a ‘bon’ sound when it bounced.

    The ‘bon’ sound had scared the dog so badly that they ran as fast as they could back to where they came from. That was one of those moment I can never forget. Thew …….

    So my suggestion is that keep your COOL, and bring a baseketball when you see dogs.

  17. #17
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dill
    In other words the correct answer is:

    None of the suggested, DRIVE EVERYWHERE, car would be good but a tank better
    Even if the destination is only 100m away? That was how far I had to walk yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Discuss: Are frogs dogs?
    By frogs are dogs in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 0
    : 02-17-2011, 02:46 AM
  2. Sesame Street
    By wilfredlgf in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 5
    : 05-23-2006, 08:06 AM
  3. Did I just see hidayat on the street?
    By oneshot_onekill in forum General Forum
    Replies: 0
    : 09-09-2005, 11:28 PM
  4. street badminton
    By cooler in forum General Forum
    Replies: 11
    : 07-16-2005, 11:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •