Dogs on the street : What will you do?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Jan 4, 2005.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I walked over to the house owner's friend's residence to pay the rent just now and on the way I saw three or four dogs on the road, as if alerted to my presence as I came closer. As I've done often, I just ignored them and walked on by.

Most times it'll be fine but there could be situations when they start to get unruly and growl, following you with their pretty fangs glistening under the moonlight.

Good thing the dogs ignored me although on my way back they were coming my direction, alerted by the dog which began barking next door.

If it were for you, what would you have done?

1. Take a longer route to avoid them.
    2. Just act cool and hope that you bore them.
    3. Take a stick and protect yourself.
    4. Tempt fate and growled at them.

#1 wilfredlgf, Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  2. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    well, can i say none of the 4 above? well, i may take longer route, or maybe act cool but walk lil bit faster, faster, and when u're sure that they cant see u anymore, just run for ur life!:D(haha, exaggerating here), or maybe wait for some people who may on their way to go somewhere and have to pass that route, and then walk with them, at least that way i feel safer i guess:D

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    1) Do NOT and I mean DO NOT make eye contact with the dogs. Dogs are territorial animals and they take it as a challenge.

2) Do NOT walk FASTER. Dogs will chase, it's in their instincts.

3) Do NOT Attempt to give a pack of dogs a fight. You'll end up on the worse side of it.

Precautions when walking a road where dogs are. When you see the dog, do not give eye contact. Keep cool, bowing your head and walking slowly past them. Don't let your nerves show so easily. Do not cross their path. Just walk calmly and slowly. And do NOT make any sudden movements.

When or if you are attacked by a dog, please defend your throat area. By all means lie down facing the floor. And use your arms to cover your ears and throat. When dogs attack they go for these parts of the body. If they bite your throat and rip it off, your airpassage will be limited and yes you will die. So lie down on the floor and curl yourself up and use your arms again to cover ears and neck. Shout for help.

If a weapon is nearby, as in a blunt object use it to hit the dogs. Do not use sharp objects, in your adrenaline rush, you might hurt yourself. A stick or something to wack the dogs will be enough. Stand your ground and do not run. Dogs will chase and unless you can do a Marion Jones kinda thing for 2 straight kilometers then follow my advice. If you do kill a dog in defense, say a prayer for the dog. I'm sure he'll appreciate it when the dog reaches heaven. (Not a joke).

This is all the info I can provide for now. If I remember more tips, I'll post them here.

FEND.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Kill em with your bare hands :D

Probably take a different route to be on the safe side, Fend gives reasons why it is not good to act instinctivley towards pack animanls.

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I would consider two options:
    1. Take the black ones and bring them to Chinese restaurants ! :D :p
    2. Use empty shuttle cans as sticks and hit them hard if they attack you :cool:

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The RSPCA will get you man! hheheh..

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Not if he runs away fast enough afterwards :D

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Maybe RSPCA will send their trained guard dogs to track him down..

9. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    and if the guard dogs are black as well...they'll end up in the restaurant too :D

10. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    That explains what happened to me a couple months ago.

I was walking on a trail and saw a rottiweller and a small dog was sitting on one side. About 100 yards from them, I stopped and hestitated. Then the 2 dogs stood up and stared at me. I stood there thinking what I should do. Then there was a mal jogger jogging from the other end ran past the 2 dogs, and they ignored him! Then there were another female jogger ran past the 2 dogs and again they ignored her and kept staring at me. I turned around and started walking back to me car. And they started running after me. Luckly I got in my car in time, and they stopped and went back.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Well lesson is dont look at the dog.. my dog trainer told me that , when you look at the dog straight in the eye.. it means I'm your Master ( If the dog don't like it ..well you will know what happens ). Its like a Challenge look. Even wild Tigers and Lions.. they dont really look each other straight in the eye.

12. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    or you could establish dominance first...lol
    heard one way of doing that is to bite the dog's ear...
    do that and the dogs won't bother u the next time ur in the area :D
    *spits out all the dog hair*

this goes to show...you should always have at least 1 racket with u at all times :rolleyes:

the funny thing is...the dogs in my area dont bother my mom....and my mom looks them in the eyes and smiles *showing her teeth in the process*...and they dont growl lol

13. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    But if the dog is a 100lb rottiweller, it takes a lot of courage to establish dominance... even with a racquet in your hand. :eek:

#13 Qidong, Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    On the other hand if it's Snoop Dogg, I presume it to be safe to run to him and get his autograph, "Yo Snoop, great job ya did with tha Lizard Man's classic, ya know'? Riders on tha Storm? Rocks!".

Why do dogs chase after you if you look at them and/or if they sense fear and nervousness?

This reminds me of the character Usui in the Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X series, who uses Shin Gan [Heart of The Eye] to listen to the muscles and the heart of the his opponents, knowing where they will come from and what they feel at the moment. He need not look (he was blinded by Ishin's new hitokiri [manslayer], Shishio, in an encounter during the Bakumatsu [final days of the Tokugawa shogunate dynasty] anyway), and he knows where his opponent, the post-Shinsengumi [19th century Japanese equivalent of the CIA] police officer Saitoh Hajime, and using his own counter.

For dogs, I think it's similar - they have poor eyesight really, in fact, they're colour blind. I believe their supreme sense of hearing and smell can detect whether you are ignoring them or are alerted. Human, once in alert mode, will have an elevated pace of heartbeat. Dogs are 'dumb', so they probably think we're getting ready to fight. The sweat coming out of your pore probably gives them the sense that you are getting ready to duke it out.

In that situation, reminded me of Kenshin's first meeting with the smiling Tenken [God-of-Sword] Soujiro at the village, Saitoh explaining to Misao [the weasel girl :D] that since he (Kenshin) cannot read his opponent, then there is no counter. When there's no counter, he will have to attack first.

So, the dog would normally attack first since the mutt won't know at all what you will be doing in this 'fight'.

A satisfactory theory on a dog's pscyhe in territorial defence?

p/s - I LOVE the RK series.

I don't think advising Qidong to assert his authority would be a correct thing to do - I've read enough of those stories on the papers...

15. Dill

Dill Regular Member

In other words the correct answer is:

None of the suggested, DRIVE EVERYWHERE, car would be good but a tank better ;)

16. fan

fan Regular Member

Funny, now it triggers my memory. I like dogs but … …

I camped out at some farmland with bunch of friend long long long time ago. There was an outdoor basketball court about quarter miles from our camp side. I waked up so early in the morning while everyone was still sleeping. So I went to the Bcourt alone to shoot some hoops.

When I got to the court and just before taking the first aim at the basket, I saw about 10-15 dogs charging towards me with loud barks. I was totally stunned and scared that I couldn’t even move my legs to run. I stood absolutely still there and thinking that my life will soon be over. To my surprise, all the dogs stopped sharp at once when they got to about a few meters of me and they became so quiet all at once and all of them looked at me with a little bit surprise in their eyes.

I was so scared that I almost PmyPANTS. Then the basketball rolled off from my hand and made a ‘bon’ sound when it bounced.

The ‘bon’ sound had scared the dog so badly that they ran as fast as they could back to where they came from. That was one of those moment I can never forget. Thew …….

So my suggestion is that keep your COOL, :) and bring a baseketball when you see dogs. :D

17. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Even if the destination is only 100m away? That was how far I had to walk yesterday.

18. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    or, maybe i should just freeze at one spot, and then pray for my life, or start to think that maybe this is how i will end up:D

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

-----------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

• dg1.jpg
      dg1.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
    • dg2.jpg
      dg2.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  20. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    wilfred, what kind of dogs did you encounter? Lol.

If that was me. I would freeze and call operator and ask for the dog pound. Lol.