User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by New Straits Times » Sport

Li Mao favours the speed and power approach, which has made China's shuttlers so dominant on the international stage while Misbun has always been a fan of stroke play, endurance and stamina.

"I will never leave a player in the lurch, especially as the likes of Lee Chong Wei, Hafiz (Hashim) and Kuan Beng Hong have been training with me and have gone up the world rankings. It would be unfair for me to leave them, especially after all that they have done."

Quote Originally Posted by The Star Online > Sports

Asked if he would accept a job as coach of the juniors, Misbun said: “Wherever I am placed, I need to know what my targets are. It is pointless if I am placed in a department where I cannot aim for a good finishing.

“In the last two years (since I became the singles chief coach), I have groomed several youngsters and their progress has been impressive. I have developed these players and it is my aim to help them reach their best ever achievements.”

The players Misbun was talking about are Lee Chong Wei, Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Kuan Beng Hong.
    Ironically, it was Indra Gunawan's departure and Misbun's boarding to BAM in early 2003, which left players like Ong Ewe Hock, Lee Tsuen Seng and James Chua in the lurch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whizkelv
    Ironically, it was Indra Gunawan's departure and Misbun's boarding to BAM in early 2003, which left players like Ong Ewe Hock, Lee Tsuen Seng and James Chua in the lurch.
    He contradicts himself???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FEND.
    He contradicts himself???

Anyway, I'm sure most people would love to see players like Wong CH and Lee TS making a decent comeback under Li Mao. For a player who has beaten the likes of Taufik Hidayat, Lee TS has certainly under-performed over the last 2 years where he even sufferred a humiliating defeat at the hands of unknown Vietnamese during Malaysian Satelite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another link to Malay dailies pertaining similar topic (in Malay language):

http://www.bharian.com.my/m/BHarian/...01435/Article/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Translation - Li Mao appointed as new coach, Misbun wants to know BAM's strategy

Quote Originally Posted by whizkelv
    Here's another link to Malay dailies pertaining similar topic (in Malay language):

http://www.bharian.com.my/m/BHarian/...01435/Article/
    BAM confirmed the appointment of Li Mao from China as the new coach for national's singles squad yesterday, while the local maestro, Misbun Sidek is not ready to commit himself in sticking with BAM and hence, not signing up the new contract as coach until he is sure of the national body's direction and strategy.

For Misbun, he does not feel threatened at all with the appearance of Li, as he would rather stress the question of BAM's new strategy - whether near term major successes or long term development.

"To me, the question on Li Mao's appointment is immaterial, but rather what is BAM's plan for badminton and what they really want," said Misbun. "Now everything is blur and unclear".

"I don't feel treatened with Li Mao's appearance and I also do not care about the title/post and I don't even mind if Li is made the chief coach. I'm only interested to know what is BAM's plan".

"Does BAM plan to strengthen our existing field of players for success and not only for development?"

"Hence, as far as I'm unclear with BAM's new structure and strategy, I'm not ready to give my commitment to extend my contract. I will wait on to listen to BAM's explaination to get a clearer picture before making my decision," added Misbun.

Yesterday, BAM's secretary Ganga Rao confirmed that Li will be appointed as singles coach for 2 years contract after discussion with BAM's president earlier on.

The appearance of Li, 47, has raised speculation regarding Misbun's position as singles chief coach (since 2 years ago), whose contract ended last December and also proposals to put the former Nusa Mahsuri coach to grassroot level training program.

"I have been informed by BAM regarding their decision to rope Li Mao as coach, it's only that I do not know exactly when BAM will officially take him in".

"On the other hand, I welcome Li's appearance and I'm more than ready to cooperate with this Chinese coach as what BAM is doing now is adding the number of coaches because we are shortage of trainer and I'm certainly happy with this move," he said.

Misbun's contract with National Sports Council ended last December.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope my translation is readable.
    Pardon me if there are poor grammar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmmmmmmm i see many distortion of facts here.

1) ong ewe hock had trouble will the administers (BAM)........ nothing to do with misbun. it was about him being too old (or not too old according to ong in his defence.

2) james chua???????? mr late night disco?????? anyway he injured himself and failed to recover. how do you blame misbun for that??????

3) Lee Tsuen Seng's accomplishments: 1 dutch title (less than 3 stars i think?), Commonwealth silver (lost to hafiz) , SEA Games?????, beat taufik ONCE......... so is this suppose to have made him some big star before misbun came in???????? NO.
    he showed a few flashes of briliance then faded as he could not maintain his performance....... some may say it was his impatient straight forward & highly ambitious attacking game that resulted in predictability + error prone + physically taxing which can be seen in the injuries that he suffers from today.
    OH YES besides Nguyen from vietnam he also lost to a then unknown 18 year old Simon santoso in the first round of malaysian open 2003.

4) i am also not happy to see this 'crab-mentality' when people are saying that nusa mahsuri and BAM can not co-exist.
    BAM is the governing body with the responsibility to see badminton develop in malaysia.
    Nusa Mahsuri is a club developing badminton players for malaysia.
    so why should BAM trouble someone who is giving it a helping hand???????
    besides..... players from Nusa represent the country........ not Nusa.

plus there is nothing wrong if players choose to train with their club and represent their country. this only garners well for the development of the sport already seen in europe (eg denmark) and asia (indonesia). saying otherwise (that BAM should be the only one developing / handling national representing players) would be taking a step backwards.

current malaysian example would be Sairul Amar Ayob who is not training with national team......... BAM doesnt seem to mind him going for international opens tho he has to get his own funding.

so stop the fuss.........

jug
    Last edited by jug8man; 01-08-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To jug8man,

Agree. 'Crab-mentality' people like me will stop the fuss!!
    Let time tell if history will repeat shall Misbun decided to leave BAM.

regards,
    whizkelv
    Last edited by whizkelv; 01-08-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    Partly true that the boys under him have not been performing on par. My source told me told me that Misbun still have the Passion on coaching for the National Team , however he wanted to Do more than a coach. Maybe this was one of the reason that Bam hire Li Mao to so call assist him. Probably this will also lessen Misbun's workload in overseeing all the singles players and can concentrate on the overall performance part.
    Well if the newspaper say its true that BAM might divide the singles into 2 grps, that can be good as well. If Misbun is not going to be promoted to head coach , his next options is to return to his Nusa Mahsuri stable. We will see what happens within the week or next week when the decision comes. Anyhow Misbun will still work closely with BAM if he is not promoted.
    whizkelv

what im trying to say is regardless whether Misbun is relieved from BAM, or demoted, or promoted??? , or quits and goes back to Nusa or what so ever.......... there is no need for 1-up-manship to occur between Nusa and BAM.

the most important thing is for everyone to cooperate and coexist to develop the badminton of malaysia........... many body's striving to achieve the same objective / goal without hindering others. thus every one must cooperate and not choke each other out= hence crab mentality.

ps. for those unfamiliar with the term 'crab mentality'.......... picture a basket full or live crabs. all the crabs are trying to climb out of the basket but they are all pulling each other to climb out. so the obvious result is = no crab manages to climb out!
    this term is often used in situations where people who have the same objective get in each others way.
    the solution (if the crabs were any smarter ) is for all the crabs to cooperate and take turns climbing out and assisting each other.

all for now. sorry for any misunderstandings.....

jug
    Last edited by jug8man; 01-08-2005 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socko
    I don't know how you guys feel but IMHO I don't rate Misbun. He was a talented but sub par as player and I think he's passed it on to his players with his coaching. Wong Choon Han and Lee Tsuen Seng has suffered the most under him. I've got it on good authority that his long training sessions doesn't exactly suit everyone. No one size fits all. All his players are inconsistent and under performing.
    if that is how you feel.... im interested to know what your opinion is on Yap Kim Hock's idea to make sure everyone lives in the hostel and etc which can be found in this link: http://www.thestar.com.my/news/archi...983&sec=sports

Quote Originally Posted by socko
    IMHO Misbun doesn't deserve a promotion he deserves to be sacked. He's the HEAD coach, he HAD a player ranked 3rd in the world. So that should at least equate to bronze medal in the Olympics . Malaysia came back with nothing. He was also late in getting to the Olympics, because he couldn't leave the Malaysia coz of a debt that he owed. Or as he put it, he was a guarantor and the guarantee failed him. Common! That's not good enough for a head coach.
    i can not vouch for misbuns ability as a coach........ perhaps im not trully qualified for such statement. BUT.......... THAT BOLDED PART just doesnt equate in my logic. im like: look at Lin Dan!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pptam
    BAM should also know how to appreciate Misbun's effort in contributing to Badminton Team. I heard there are issues of favourism in the team. Not too sure it.
    i'm highly interested in the details....... anyone has any info on the juicy bits??????????
    no?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone clarify the state/setup of the national singles team.

1.How many coaches does the singles national team have?
    2.How many players are there in the national singles team?
    3.Do they train in the same venue as the doubles players (share coaches?)
    4.How many singles players from Nusa mushuri are to national level?
    5.Do the BAM players train with/against Nusa players at all?
    6.To what extent is Misbun currently (or previousley) running the singles team (does he have administration/logistical jobs, or psychological, physical, technical)
    7.Does anyone know exactly what Li Mao will be doing differently or the same in relation to the above question?

As I read it seems like they are understaffed, but is Misbun doing everthing on his own? he must have some helpers, and I presume there must be some coordinatoin between nusa players and National players.

I dont know whether this would be the case. I guess I am just confused. The only two coaches I know in MAL team are Yap and Misbun, and they both watch each others games most of the time, so they must help(?) each other. But also there must be other staff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20
    Can someone clarify the state/setup of the national singles team.

1.How many coaches does the singles national team have?
    2.How many players are there in the national singles team?
    3.Do they train in the same venue as the doubles players (share coaches?)
    4.How many singles players from Nusa mushuri are to national level?
    5.Do the BAM players train with/against Nusa players at all?
    6.To what extent is Misbun currently (or previousley) running the singles team (does he have administration/logistical jobs, or psychological, physical, technical)
    7.Does anyone know exactly what Li Mao will be doing differently or the same in relation to the above question?

As I read it seems like they are understaffed, but is Misbun doing everthing on his own? he must have some helpers, and I presume there must be some coordinatoin between nusa players and National players.

I dont know whether this would be the case. I guess I am just confused. The only two coaches I know in MAL team are Yap and Misbun, and they both watch each others games most of the time, so they must help(?) each other. But also there must be other staff too.
    The Star Online > Last 7 Days > 4 Jan, 2005 > Sports

BAM happy to see Malaysia exporting coaches now

KUALA LUMPUR: National doubles back-up coach Tan Kim Her’s decision to leave Malaysia comes at an awkward time for the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM). They were just getting ready to announce major revamp in their coaching set-up.

However, the BAM welcome the appointment of Kim Her as the South Korea’s new national doubles coach.

Said BAM secretary P. Ganga Rao: “This (Kim Her’s decision to join South Korea) is a big loss for Malaysia. But we are looking at it on a positive manner. His appointment to another strong badminton nation is indeed a great recognition to our local coaches.

“We used to import foreign coaches. Now, we are exporting coaches.”

FANNY: Has quit her coaching job.
    With plans to move to a new and bigger training centre and increasing the number of players in the national training set-up, the BAM are also looking at increasing the number of coaches.

Currently, there are seven coaches in the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) – Sun Chenhua (chief coach), Zhang Hongyu, Wong Tat Meng, Chang Kim Wai, Jeremy Gan, Koay Kar Lin and Mohd Salleh Suwandi – and seven at the national training centre in Bukit Kiara – Misbun Sidek (singles chief coach), Yap Kim Hock (doubles chief coach), Rashid Sidek, Teh Seu Bok, Rosman Razak, Cheah Soon Kit and Pang Cheh Chang.

Indonesian Fanny Kumala Mergawati, who was heading the women’s singles department, has relinquished her position.

Kim Her’s exit is expected to see a coach from the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) being promoted into the national set-up.

“We are currently negotiating with three coaches from China to strengthen our juniors in BJSS. We are also looking at a coach from Indonesia for our state programme,” said Ganga.

Currently, BAM coaches are under the salary scale between RM3,000-RM7,000, depending on their credentials.

It is learnt that coaches under the National Sports Council (NSC) payroll may be receiving up to RM12,000.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hopefully this will answer some of your questions.

4. as for all i know........ since misbun left not much development in nusa (i could be wrong tho............) only roslin and hafiz are international level imho

5. Roslin and Hafiz are of the Nusa stable. they have difficulty to leave nusa because they have a contract with Yonex which complicates the BAM-Gosen deal. but Roslin and Hafiz does co-train with the national team since misbun became coach. dont have full details tho....

6 & 7. as known in history........ there is not much transparency in the management of BAM so many of us are very much in the dark.

hope i was helpful.

jug

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jugman, hopefully some others may know other things.

It seems to be that having the Nusa club and the BAM the way they are are counter productive. I understand that they are separate in their contracts with sponsors, but normally with professional clubs the sponsorship is only applicable to players when representing the club (IE Nusa), but the Nusa contract appears to apply for both representation of the club and Country, and that it appears the clubs' contract overwrites the National contract, which is surely wrong, since representing your country should be the pinnacle.

It is a difficult situation, since they appear not to use each other talents to improve, but seem to act as two separate entities.

As always there are many different approaches. Having a team only for national playing as in china would be better, but only if the national team was large enough to accomadate everyone, and not exclude others who may benefit from the training (even in chinas' case this does not always occur). Or having many small teams, may increase the large number of good players, but make the elitism that is required to win international tournaments difficult to obtain.

I have another set of questions (sorry);

Does the National team take part in club competitions that Nusa take part in? If not, then is the Nusa club a dominant force in Malaysian club play?
    or are there other professional clubs that can challenge them?
    Is there a separate club league, and national (state) league or are the two combined?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

New Straits Times » Sport

BADMINTON: Problems on the horizon
    K.M. Boopathy

Jan 09: WINNING the faith of national players will be the biggest challenge for new singles coach Li Mao. Li Mao’s presence has already brought contrasting opinions from top Malaysian singles players Lee Chong Wei and Hafiz Hashim, and this could make things somewhat difficult for the former men’s singles coach of China and South Korea. While Chong Wei felt that Li Mao’s sojourn could benefit the players, the player feels he will need more time to adapt to new training methods.

However, Hafiz has been more direct and has already snubbed the assistance of Li Mao as he has made it plain that he prefers to train with current national singles coach Misbun Sidek and his assistant and younger brother Rashid Sidek.

Chong Wei was basing his opinion on past experience when he took more than six months before he could adapt to the training methods of Misbun when the latter took over coaching duties from Indonesian Indra Gunawan in January, 2003.

"It will take some time before we can get used to the training of Li Mao. It was the same when I started under Misbun but I managed to improve once I got fully committed," said Chong Wei.

"Li Mao knows the training methods as well as the strengths and weaknesses of China’s shuttlers just too well.

"China’s players are the toughest to beat at the moment and Li Mao’s feedback can definitely help us. However, the onus is on us to adapt to his style and learn. If this doesn’t happen, it is not going to work."

Li Mao, 46, comes with an impressive track record having transformed the South Koreans, who were better known for their supremacy in the men’s doubles, into world beaters in the men’s singles over the last four years.

Li Mao guided the likes of Lee Hyun Il, Shon Seung Mo and Park Tae Sang into top class players and the fact that Seung Mo went on to win a silver medal in the Athens Olympics last year underlines the ability of the coach.

However, Hafiz, who has been under the tutelage of Misbun for the last six years, does not believe that a change of coach will do anything for him. "I prefer training under Misbun because I’m used to his methods and am confident of what I can achieve under him," said the adamant 22-year-old. "I do not know the training methods of Li Mao at all and I don’t think I can adapt.

"Furthermore, his training methods are totally different from what I have been going through and I don’t want to the risk having to go through an entirely new regime."

Misbun had a pivotal role in guiding Chong Wei, Hafiz and back-up player Kuan Beng Hong to become quality players and that cannot be disputed. Choong Hann also achieved his best result — a place in the 2003 World Championships final in Birmingham — while under Misbun.

Misbun’s contributions are well acknowledged by the players and if he can forge an understanding with Li Mao, Malaysian singles could gain a great deal.

Misbun has already given his support to Li Mao and has stated that he will not have any problems working with the experienced Chinese coach.

Now, it will be up to the players to learn as much as they can from Li Mao before BAM decide to change their minds again after the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down As expected, the war has just started from Misbun's team

New Straits Times » Sport

BADMINTON: Problems on the horizon
    K.M. Boopathy

Jan 09:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Li Mao’s presence has already brought contrasting opinions from top Malaysian singles players Lee Chong Wei and Hafiz Hashim, and this could make things somewhat difficult for the former men’s singles coach of China and South Korea. While Chong Wei felt that Li Mao’s sojourn could benefit the players, the player feels he will need more time to adapt to new training methods.

However, Hafiz has been more direct and has already snubbed the assistance of Li Mao as he has made it plain that he prefers to train with current national singles coach Misbun Sidek and his assistant and younger brother Rashid Sidek.

However, Hafiz, who has been under the tutelage of Misbun for the last six years, does not believe that a change of coach will do anything for him. "I prefer training under Misbun because I’m used to his methods and am confident of what I can achieve under him," said the adamant 22-year-old. "I do not know the training methods of Li Mao at all and I don’t think I can adapt.

"Furthermore, his training methods are totally different from what I have been going through and I don’t want to the risk having to go through an entirely new regime."

Misbun had a pivotal role in guiding Chong Wei, Hafiz and back-up player Kuan Beng Hong to become quality players and that cannot be disputed. Choong Hann also achieved his best result — a place in the 2003 World Championships final in Birmingham — while under Misbun.
    ---------------------

Opps, kwun posted it first.. So, I just highlighted the key controversial points for my title.
    Last edited by whizkelv; 01-08-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jugman, hopefully some others may know other things.
    It seems to be that having the Nusa club and the BAM the way they are are counter productive. I understand that they are separate in their contracts with sponsors, but normally with professional clubs the sponsorship is only applicable to players when representing the club (IE Nusa), but the Nusa contract appears to apply for both representation of the club and Country, and that it appears the clubs' contract overwrites the National contract, which is surely wrong, since representing your country should be the pinnacle.
    It is a difficult situation, since they appear not to use each other talents to improve, but seem to act as two separate entities.
    IMHO it doesnt matter whether you are representing Nusa Mahsuri or BAM. in the end all players are representing Malaysia. BAM should not lose face IF Nusa players contribute to Malaysia's badminton glory. same goes for Nusa.

As always there are many different approaches. Having a team only for national playing as in china would be better, but only if the national team was large enough to accomadate everyone, and not exclude others who may benefit from the training (even in chinas' case this does not always occur). Or having many small teams, may increase the large number of good players, but make the elitism that is required to win international tournaments difficult to obtain.

I have another set of questions (sorry);

Does the National team take part in club competitions that Nusa take part in? If not, then is the Nusa club a dominant force in Malaysian club play?
    or are there other professional clubs that can challenge them?
    Is there a separate club league, and national (state) league or are the two combined?
    what club competition / leagues?????????? there is absolutely none in malaysia. profesional clubs is at its infancy in Malaysia. Most major domestic tournaments held are run by either BAM or state B A where everybody in malaysia can join thru representing their respective state B A.......... not club.

Club means squat in Malaysia
    the only purpose for it is to train its players, search & hunt for sponsorship for its main players........ and send its players for tournaments. as you can see this doesnt undermine BAM or the countries badminton development. problem only occurs when both parties act like children and start to politiking.

jug
    Last edited by jug8man; 01-08-2005 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default -

I dont think anyone should read too much abt coaches and players.

Its well known that some organisations are rive with politicking, and people

(administrators) are just jostling for power and playing divide and rule

and using coaches and players as pawns.

I think badminton is the last thing on their minds , its all power and money,

thats why some people progress and others dont.Unity is the key.

Also pls try to read between the lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post More news from Berita Harian (translated version)

Source: http://www.bharian.com.my/m/BHarian/...03238/Article/

Coach: Who does BAM has in heart
    by Lukman Salleh

BAM's decision to hire foreign coach Li Mao to lead the singles squad and Misbun Sidek's wait-and-see approach before making decision on his contract extension have raised far more questions than answers.

The appearance of Li, 47, former Chinese and South Korean coach, and with BAM possessing Misbun (who's acting as chief singles coach) at the same time, raised questions about the national body's actual plan and how both experienced coaches will be fitted into its new structure.

BAM, through its honourary secretary Ganga Rao strongly denies that Li will takeover Misbun's currently position as chief coach and stated that the appearance of the foreign coach is to strengthen the national squad.

"No one will be left out (including Misbun)," said Ganga. "BAM needs more coaches and this coach's position will be decided in the upcoming coaching committee meeting this Monday."

Ganga also reluctant to comment on the possibility that Misbun will be given a new assignment or how both coaches will carry out their respective job without any clash of ego.

Misbun's reluctance in putting up his signature on his new contract has got to do with his position in BAM and the Nusa Mahsuri coach wants to see what the national body has prepared for him and how he is fitted into BAM's plan.

Even though he does not give a damn on who will be appointed as chief coach - whether himself or Li - what Misbun is stressing is BAM's programme has to stress on far more impressive achievement with victory and international championship trophies being main aim.

It is understood than Misbun is quite reluctant to release his disciples such as Malaysian Open champion Lee Chong Wei, Kuan Beng Hong and Yeoh Kay Bin to other coach, because of his contribution in transforming these players into potential beaters and he with to ensure that these young players achieve great results in international level.

"From what I know, Misbun wants to take care of players like Hafiz Hashim and Chong Wei," said a former national player who wish to remain anonymous. "He wants to focus fully on a small pool of players only because it is difficult to take care of a big group of players like what we are having now."

"If he only controls 2 or 3 players, he will be able to focus fully and does not want the player whom he groomed for success becomes inconsistent due to insufficient attention like what happened to Hafiz. He does not want such thing to happen again," according to the source.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast