Li Mao to coach Malaysian MS.

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by kwun, Jan 4, 2005.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    read another rumor.

Misbun will be relieved of his MS head coach duties from the Malaysian team. instead, BAM will hire Li Mao to head coach the Men's singles team.

Li Mao as you know, was the coach that help lifted the Korea men singles players to the level they have today.

this is a very positive move and will potentially reap great benefits. Li Mao is a great coach and was able to train the Korean team even with a big language barrier. he will have much less communication problem in Malaysia and soon we might see a big leap in the standard of Malaysian singles.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    misbun most likely will be going back to his Nusa Mahsuri's stable.. want to take a break as well..

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Ants

What actually happened? Is it largely because Misbun's boys did not perform at both the Thomas Cup and the Athens Olympics that resulted in BAM's loss of faith in him?

Kwun

Any more info on Li Mao? Somehow I know next to nothing about him. I suppose he must be an ex-China national player but in which year. What have been his achievements in his playing days? And apart from S Korea, where else has he coached before? Australia? :confused:

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Li Mao was a Chinese national team player back in the mid->early 80's. he brought players like Dong Jiong and Sun Jun into the prime. in the late 90's however, he (and apparently a few other coaches) got into disagreement with the current head coach Li Yongbo and subsequently left the national team. since then, Li Mao was hired to be the coach of Korea. it was Li Mao who helped brought players like Lee Hyun Il and Shon Seung Mo to their current level.

later on he switched to coach the WS players and has a hand on the development of players like Kim Kyeung Ran and Jun Jae Youn as well.

the Korean has very high regards of his coaching skills and the results shows their confidence in him.

nobody know exactly what the disagreement were between Li Mao and Li Yongbo, the internal affairs then caused the resignation of a few legendary coaches including Li Mao, Li Lingwei and Hou JiaChang.

although he has become a travelling coach much like the famous Morten Frost, Li Mao says he personally prefer to coach in China then any other countries.

a year or so ago he finished his contract with the Korean team and went back to teach his home province team. not much has been heard about him since then except for one appearance in the China Open 2004 where he joked that had to buy a ticket to watch the event.

this news of him taking over Malaysian MS is certainly a good career development for him as well as for BAM.

5. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    good thing then, also a threat for another countries tho:cool:

6. socko

socko Regular Member

Work
    BAM hire China's Li Mao as national singles coach

By RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia have hired China's Li Mao as their national singles coach, raising questions over the position of current national coach Misbun Sidek.

The Chinese coach, who was in charge of the South Korean men's singles player for the Athens Olympics, will be here in Kuala Lumpur today to finalise the details of his stint in a meeting with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

He is expected to start work with the Malaysian squad in February.

Li Mao is the latest of many foreign coaches to take charge of the national team. The others include Fang Kaixiang (Chn), Yang Yang (Chn), Han Jian (Chn), Chen Changjie (Chn), Morten Frost Hansen (Den), Park Joo-bong (Kor) and Indra Gunawan (Ina).

Yesterday, BAM secretary P. Ganga Rao admitted that the meeting would take place today. The BAM had been tight-lipped about the matter prior to this.

Ganga also confirmed that Li Mao had agreed to coach Malaysia but he would not elaborate on the Chinese coach's role in the national set-up.

“Li Mao has agreed to coach Malaysia. BAM and Li Mao first talked about this during the China Open (in November). He will train the singles at the national training centre. We are meeting (tomorrow) to finalise on his contract and details of his job scope. I will not be able to say more on this for now,†he said.

It is unsure if Misbun and Li Mao will divide the men's singles team into two groups. It is also possible that Misbun may be promoted to performance director or as Malaysia's head coach.

Ganga however, said that the BAM hoped the inclusion of Li Mao would strengthen their coaching structure.

“Having coached China and South Korea, Li Mao has vast experience. I am sure he will adapt here well. By having another calibre coach, we will certainly have a high quality of training for our elite group,†he said.

Thanks to Li Mao's guidance, South Korea men's singles enjoyed good outings over the last two years through their players like Lee Hyun-il, Park Tae-sang, Shon Seung-mo and Jang Young-soo.

The best achievement was having Seung-mo winning a silver medal at the Athens Olympic Games in August last year.

Strangely though. Li Mao's migration to Malaysia comes at a time when Malaysian coach Tan Kim Her has been roped in to coach the South Korean doubles pairs.

Source: The Star Online

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Partly true that the boys under him have not been performing on par. My source told me told me that Misbun still have the Passion on coaching for the National Team , however he wanted to Do more than a coach. Maybe this was one of the reason that Bam hire Li Mao to so call assist him. Probably this will also lessen Misbun's workload in overseeing all the singles players and can concentrate on the overall performance part.
    Well if the newspaper say its true that BAM might divide the singles into 2 grps, that can be good as well. If Misbun is not going to be promoted to head coach , his next options is to return to his Nusa Mahsuri stable. We will see what happens within the week or next week when the decision comes. Anyhow Misbun will still work closely with BAM if he is not promoted.

8. socko

socko Regular Member

Work
    I don't know how you guys feel but IMHO I don't rate Misbun. He was a talented but sub par as player and I think he's passed it on to his players with his coaching. Wong Choon Han and Lee Tsuen Seng has suffered the most under him. I've got it on good authority that his long training sessions doesn't exactly suit everyone. No one size fits all. All his players are inconsistent and under performing.

IMHO Misbun doesn't deserve a promotion he deserves to be sacked. He's the HEAD coach, he HAD a player ranked 3rd in the world. So that should at least equate to bronze medal in the Olympics. Malaysia came back with nothing. He was also late in getting to the Olympics, because he couldn't leave the Malaysia coz of a debt that he owed. Or as he put it, he was a guarantor and the guarantee failed him. Common! That's not good enough for a head coach.

To me, Misbun will always be nothing more than a flash in the pan. Bring back Indra Gunawan, Park Joo Bong and Morten Frost.

Just my two cents.

9. economet

economet Regular Member

Li Mao

The conflict between Li YB and Li Mao is not personal. That is a general affair between Li YB and those who are not yes men. Unfortunately or fortunately, Li YB is the best friend of the most powerful man in the Chinese sports. (I forgot his name.) As long as Li YB's mighty friend rules the Chinese sports world, there will be no coach posts even for the very famous players like Zhao Jianhua, Yangyang etc. because they don't need and want to be Li YB's puppets.

That's what I heard about the Chinese badminton world recently. And the situation has worsend after the Olympics.

10. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    I ma kinda agree with you. Misbun is talented but not superior enough to be coach. There are two type of people either they are very good players or very good coach.

IT is difficult to find a person with two qualities. BAM should also know how to appreciate Misbun's effort in contributing to Badminton Team. I heard there are issues of favourism in the team. Not too sure it.

BAM must plan this properly to avoid any "politiking" among players or coaches.

p/s : "politiking" is a term used by Malaysian to describe how to survive in a back-stabbing situation by having strong relationship with your superiors(Like Li Yong Bo). I think its happened at any organisation

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this brings up a interesting point.

i wonder what effect will hiring Li Mao have on the relationship between BAM and Nusa Mahsuri. i thought when BAM hired Misbun to coach BAM+Nusa was a good step to bring together the national team and the pro club. however, now that things hasn't gone well with the disappointing result and BAM going off and hiring Li Mao, would this strain the relationship between the two organization?

that would depend on what role Misbun will play with Li Mao included in the coaching staff. we should be hearing more on that in due time.

12. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Yes we would. But then rumours of BAM letting go of Misbun have been on the increase in recent months.

What's funny thou is one of our coaches kim her went to korea and li mao came from coaching in korea.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BADMINTON: BAM rope in Li Mao

By RIZAL HASHIM - Malay Mail

Jan 8:

MALAYSIA have probably got hold of one of the most valued badminton coaches in the world following Li Mao’s decision to pitch his tent in Kuala Lumpur.

Sunday Mail were the first to report that Li Mao – the man behind the emergence of Dong Jiong and Sun Jun – was on the BA of Malaysia (BAM)'s shopping list two months ago.

As a player, his game was reminiscent of that of Xiong Guo Bao whose strength was tactical and almost robotic play rather than style.

As a coach, the stern faced 46-year-old is a man of few words, similar to one-time Malaysian coach, Chen Chang- jie, who was content on letting others do the talking.

To the media, the bald headed coach is known to be a little bit unfriendly.

His CV, though, is as impres- sive as it gets.

His last port of call was South Korea, where Li Mao was credited with the successes of Lee Hyun Il and Shon Sheung Mo, who picked up the silver medal in the Athens Olympic Games, over the past three years.

During his tenure with the Chinese national team in the early 1990s, Li Mao helped turn unpolished gems such as Dong Jiong, Sun Jun, Ye Zhaoying, Dai Yun and Gong Zhi Chao into champions in their own right.

However, he fell out of favour with the Chinese BA after he reportedly had an argument with current chief coach Li Yongbo.

Li Mao who is set to be unveiled to the media on Monday, becomes the latest Chinese tactician to chart Malaysia's badminton fortunes, following in the footsteps of Fang Kai Xiang, Yang Yang, Han Jian, Changjie and Zhou Kejian.

Li Mao's appointment, how- ever, will in no way jeopardise current chief coach Misbun Sidek's position.

The duo will be working alongside each other, pending a final decision from BAM.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    New Straits Times » Sport

BADMINTON: Misbun: Li Mao an asset
    By K.M. Boopathy

Jan 8:
    WELCOME: National singles coach believes appointment of China coach is an advantage for Malaysia.

A WELCOME addition.

That is MIsbun Sidek's (pic) response to the BA of Malaysia decision to hire Li Mao of China as a singles coach.

Rather than feel threatened, Misbun welcomes the former South Korean singles coach's appointment and is, despite speculation that he could walk away from BAM, keen on continuing what he has started since being hired as national singles chief coach in 2003.

"I don't feel threatened at all by Li Mao's appointment and I am willing to work with him. I believe that he is additional strength to out set-up due to his experiences as a coach and a former player," said Misbun when contacted yesterday.

BAM finalised Li Mao's appointment after he met president Datuk Nadzmi Salleh on Thursday to discuss his contract and other terms.

Li Mao, who left China for Korea following a fall-out with the Chinese BA, has been instrumental in developing the Korean singles players since joining in 2000.

If Korea were recognised for the strength of their doubles pairs before, Li Mao's good work was seen on the international grand prix circuit last year when the likes of Shon Seung Mo, Lee Hyun Il and Park Tae Sang regularly challenged for honours.

In fact, Li Mao leaves Korea with the legacy of having coached Seung Mo to an unlikely silver medal in the Athens Olympics at the expense of some great players, especially from China.

"That is why I believe that Li Mao will be a valuable asset for Malaysian badminton."

Misbun also dispelled speculation that he could walk away, especially as BAM have yet to decide on what exactly will be Li Mao's designation.

"I don't mind working in any set-up, even if I am redesignated to work with the juniors. What matters is the progress of the players rather than the position that I could find myself holding.It does not matter who hold the position of national singles chief coach but it is the progress of the players which is important. I will leave it to BAM to decide on the post.

"Li Mao, as a coach, has his own strengths and so do I. He has his own approach while I have mine. What is important is that the players can adapt, commit and give 100 percent to whichever coach they train with."

Li Mao favours the speed and power approach, which has made China's shuttlers so dominant on the international stage while Misbun has always been a fan of stroke play, endurance and stamina.

"I will never leave a player in the lurch, especially as the likes of Lee Chong Wei, Hafiz (Hashim) and Kuan Beng Hong have been training with me and have gone up the world rankings. It would be unfair for me to leave them, especially after all that they have done."

BAM secretary P. Ganga Rao said appointing Li Mao is solely due to the lack of quality singles coaches in Malaysia.

"We know that we made a commitment to promote and develop local coaches two years ago but circumstances have forced us into a rethink. We are still committed to local coaches but it will take time for them to become top coaches," said Ganga.

Li Mao, said Ganga, will be officially appointed following BAM's coaching and training committee meeting on Monday.

He is expected to start work with the players soon after.

The national players are preparing for the Korea Open on Jan 20-25 and it will be interesting to see which coach follows them.

However, with MIsbun adopting an open mind, Li Mao's appointment should result in better performances from the national singles players as they prepare for the big one this year - the World Championships in Anaheim, United States in August.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The Star Online > Sports
    Saturday January 8, 2005

Misbun: New coach will only add strength to our badminton
    BY RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: National singles chief coach Misbun Sidek's fate in the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) will be known on Monday. But the man is not at all threatened by the presence of new coach Li Mao of China.

In fact, Misbun is looking forward to working together with the Chinese coach to raise the standard of the national men's singles badminton players in the country.

And he is even willing to let the Chinese handle the seniors and work with the juniors – provided he is allowed to work with them all the way to the top of their careers.

The BAM had hired the 46-year-old Li Mao as their singles coach recently, raising questions over Misbun's role in the national team.

A clearer picture on the roles of both Misbun's and Li Mao's positions in the national training set-up will be known after a coaching and training committee meeting on Monday. Li Mao will make his first public appearance as Malaysian coach that day.

Misbun admitted that he did not know about BAM decision to sign up Li Mao until recently.

“I heard he was approached but I am glad that he finally decided to come here. I am not worried about my position in the national set-up or where I will be placed. If there are more coaches to help, the better it will be,†said Misbun, when contacted yesterday.

“The BAM have planned to make some changes after the failure of the team at the Athens Olympic Games. They have not announced it yet. Once that has been done, we will know where Li Mao and I stand.â€

Misbun said BAM had made a rational move by hiring Li Mao.

“He (Li Mao) was a player during my playing days in late 80s. I even played against him at the Alba World Cup (Misbun beat Li Mao in the group stage at the Stadium Negara),†said Misbun.

As a coach, Li Mao has taken charge of former Chinese world champion Sun Jun and Dong Jiong. After a tiff with China's chief coach Li Yongbo, he left for South Korea.

He was South Korea's men's singles coach for the last four years, a period which saw a marked improvement in performances by the Koreans, especially at the Athens Olympic Games.

They had three men's singles representatives for the first time in an Olympics – Lee Hyun-il, Shon Seung-mo and Park Tae-sang. Seung-mo finished as silver medallist behind Indonesian Taufik Hidayat.

“It is a good move to get Li Mao. He is an additional coach for Malaysia and we can have a more systematic training programme. He has the experience of coaching China and South Korea. Probably, our players need these additional Chinese and South Korean styles to become better. We can benefit from the technical and tactical approach in coaching from him.â€

Asked if he would accept a job as coach of the juniors, Misbun said: “Wherever I am placed, I need to know what my targets are. It is pointless if I am placed in a department where I cannot aim for a good finishing.

“In the last two years (since I became the singles chief coach), I have groomed several youngsters and their progress has been impressive. I have developed these players and it is my aim to help them reach their best ever achievements.â€

The players Misbun was talking about are Lee Chong Wei, Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Kuan Beng Hong.

On his absence at the training centre for the last one week since his contract expired with the National Sports Council (NSC) at the end of last year, Misbun joked: “I just left BAM for a week - and that is to sort out my children's first days in school. Don't read too much into it.â€

BAM secretary P. Ganga Rao said the meeting on Monday should end all speculation surrounding Li Mao's appointment.

“Li Mao met our president (Datuk Nadzmi Mohamed Salleh) over dinner on Thursday. We will present him to the media on Monday after the meeting. For now, we cannot divulge anything more on the matter,†said Ganga.

He added: “Of course, we want Misbun to stay with the BAM. All the coaches will be there for the meeting on Monday. We will have a clearer picture then.â€

“The key structural changes will however, be announced after our exco meeting on Friday. These are al mere procedures,†said Ganga.

16. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Looks like the Malaysian singles camp is heading for another split after 10 years. In 1995, the arrogant Sidek siblings started out their professional outfit, Nusa Mahsuri in their bid to challenge the national body, BAM. Seems like history is going to repeat itself, as we know the hard-headed Misbun Sidek is not someone who will easily bow to commands. He will likely quit BAM to renew his rivalry with BAM if he's designated to take charge of the junior team or even the national WS team.

Two of the media's report even indirectly quoted his claim that the rise of Lee CW, Hafiz and Kuan BH is due to his own credit. In conclusion, Misbun believes that he has what it takes in him to even form a team to challenge the national team with the 3 players. Without the 3 players, the only notable world class player BAM left with is Wong CH, who will be easily beaten by Lee CW or Hafiz based on current form. This is indirectly telling BAM that they should be more threatened by their present move rather than Misbun.

Anticipating another internal Malaysian badminton war! :rolleyes:

17. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Misbun should go go go!!! So what if he takes those 3 and they can beat WCH. I don't think BAM will allow themselves to be walked over by Misbun ;)

18. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Ironically, it was Indra Gunawan's departure and Misbun's boarding to BAM in early 2003, which left players like Ong Ewe Hock, Lee Tsuen Seng and James Chua in the lurch. :rolleyes:

19. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

He contradicts himself???

20. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

:D :D :D

Anyway, I'm sure most people would love to see players like Wong CH and Lee TS making a decent comeback under Li Mao. For a player who has beaten the likes of Taufik Hidayat, Lee TS has certainly under-performed over the last 2 years where he even sufferred a humiliating defeat at the hands of unknown Vietnamese during Malaysian Satelite!