NEWS: Choong Hann seeks change of fortune with new set-up

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by FEND., Jan 8, 2005.

1. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Saturday January 8, 2005
    [size=+2]Choong Hann seeks change of fortune with new set-up[/size]

BY RAJES PAUL KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia's singles shuttler Wong Choong Hann did not enjoy a good badminton season last year. But he is looking forward for a change of fortunes along with changes in the coaching set-up this year.

The 28-year-old Choong Hann could be one of a few players to train under Chinese coach Li Mao. The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have hired the Chinese to handle the singles players in the national team.

Choong Hann is also expected to play a dual role this year too. Besides his singles event, the 28-year-old Choong Hann is also expected to play in the doubles with Lee Wan Wah.

All these changes are expected to be confirmed when the BAM coaching and training committee led by Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh meet on Monday to finalise their new coaching and training structure.

Choong Hann is looking forward to the changes, saying he was optimistic about kick-starting his “stagnating†badminton career again.

“I do not mind training under Li Mao if that's what BAM decide. I have to look at it positively,†said Choong Hann.

In the last two years, under national singles chief coach Misbun Sidek, Choong Hann lost his status as the top player in the country. He has also consistently failed to get the better of two youngsters – Lee Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim.

On the possible partnership with Wan Wah, Choong Hann said: “I do not mind playing in the doubles. It will help my performances in the singles event in the long run.â€

“By playing with Wan Wah, I will also be helping him to make a comeback (from his knee injury). He needs a partner and I am willing to help out,†said the lanky shuttler.

Wan Wah's regular partner Choong Tan Fook had been paired with Chew Choon Eng since Wan Wah's injury after the Athens Olympics.

Wan Wah is not the only one Choong Hann wants to help. Yesterday, Choong Hann and the rest of the national players also chipped in some money for the tsunami victims.

“After training, we discussed the matter. And we decided to do our part for the tsunami victims. Initially, we thought of hosting an exhibition match. But we need to apply for a licence and it can be rather time-consuming. Finally, we decided to pass the hat around. We have given the money to the BAM. They will hand it to the respective parties,†he said.

Yesterday, the BAM confirmed that they had received RM2,600 from the players.

The money will be given to the National Sports Council (NSC), who are organising a special tsunami relief aid function on Tuesday.

_________

mmm. He's gonna play doubles!!!

Source : TheStar.com.my http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/1/8/sports/9846860&sec=sports

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

He already played doubles in the 2004 Thomas Cup in Malaysia's group C match against Thailand. (and maybe more, I dunno)

I think in that match he partnered Chan Chong Ming. There were a few awkward moments because Wong and Chan weren't used to playing with each other (as to be expected), but I thought Wong played very well.

He might play well with Lee Wan Wah.
    And LWW is used to playing with a leftie, maybe that's part of the reason now that Choong Tan Fook is with Chew Choon Eng.

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I heard bout that from mom too!! I was at tuition at that time!!! Darn!! Must've been nice. I heard he was smashing real good when playing doubles!

Maybe it's time to buy some videos from Han. :eek::D:D:D

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Devastatingly good

5. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

i heard he was a national backup doubles player a year or 2 before he made his name in the singles category. i cant remember the name of the singles coach (from China) that asked him to switch to singles from doubles but the guy left Malaysia for something in Australia when Morten Frost came in........ if im not mistaken.

jug.

6. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    cool! i cant wait to see how will he do as a double player, we know that hes an expert in single and some of us know that he is also good in double, but i dont know, so im excited to see! yay choong han!:D

7. WoAiZhongGuo

WoAiZhongGuo Regular Member

Once a Chinese, always a Chinese..... live in Engl
    Yeah! It's great that he'll be back in form again. He's had a ghastly couple of years. I hope he'll succeed. No matter what happens, I'll be behind him 110%!

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    A Rare picture of Wong CH partnering Lee Wan Wah

Attached Files:

9. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Yeah, now we know.
    producing some encouraging results

Partner with Chew choon Eng to beat national no.1 Chan chong Ming and koo kien keat in semifinals of local circuit pahang open

and won't forget about his mixed doubles in sudirman cup:crying:

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    At least the switch from singles to doubles is paying dividends for him at least for now. We will just have to wait and see how he perform in the other international tourneys.