Getting back into the game: string model + tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mickoz, Jan 9, 2005.

1. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Hi, I am a player from Canada (Montreal, Qc).

I used to string my racquet at a little shop who were specialized but they closed. (Back when I was playing a lot, some years ago already... 3-4, damn time go fast. I almost stopped playing, playing very rarely since that time.)

However, I want to string my raquet back and I will expose you to my choice.

I have not done a lot of seeking but I have asked my local "sport expert" (popular sport store in my hometown) for yonex string and they had

BG-65
    BG-70
    BG-80

In the past -- I know I have started with BG-80, then did go with a BG-65. However I cannot really remember all the difference, just that I think my BG-65 took a lot of time to break (and maybe that is also because I played less.) and that I think I preferred the BG-80.

I have read a couple post on the forum (sorry I have not read all) and I am looking into not doing 3 weeks of research (since I am perfectionist, curious, etc.) and take advantage of the people who are really active at badminton now ;-)

My feeling tell me to go back with BG-80. I like to smash (and obviously love the sound) and I like to have a good control on net too. So I guess that will be my choice, even if it cost more.

My raquet is a Yonex Carbonex 15 "Long". I just noticed there is some number written on it: "2 U | 16-20 lbs", I wonder if that has anything to do with tension recommendation.

However by reading the thread, and review, I was thinking to go with a 22-23 lbs tension, but to be honnest I am really not sure.

I think that in the past I have not string with an uniform tension... but like with difference on the cross and the center. Can you please educate me with what I should do with that?

Should I do main 21, cross 23, etc. Or uniform 22-23 lbs, etc. (I have read the tension thread, and also saw in the review of BG-80 that a lot of people like Kwun seem to use 22lbs with BG-80)

Therefore knowing what type of raquet I have, the string I have available fast, etc. I want to know your string model recommendation + tension (uniform or main/cross with difference). However, I strongly think that BG-80 will be my model as I remember loving it a lot. (However if I need to order from anywhere for a different string and can find a place that will string me for a decent price, I don't mind doing it, but I want to start to play back in 1-2 weeks, and I think BG65, BG70 and BG80 is a good set of choice if I have to take a fast decision)

BTW, before I forget, I am an intermediate player who learned and improved a lot in college back in time ;-).

-----

Additionnaly, if you know any recommended place/store/contact to do that at Montreal, Qc, Canada. Let me know. ;-)

I might also need a good grip recommendation. (not clue what I have, my original carbonex 15 grip is not good now)

(And to add, my friend will also want to restring his racquet, I would qualify him as a less "power" player as me, I mean he is not as much as "smasher as me", and I do not remember his racquet model... it might be isometric wilson or something...)

-----

Thanks!

2. daboob

daboob Regular Member

Student
    perhaps this will answer some of your questions.

(pics are from www.bbesports.com)

Attached Files:

3. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I would say 22lbs -BG65 until you get your feel back...
    There after - fine tune your tension till you are comfortable....

4. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Is 22 lbs mean 22 overall, or it mean 21 main, 23 cross. I try to understand that, if we have the choice. What it influence?

- different main/cross (yes or no or always and why?)
    - less tension = proprieties ?
    - high tension = proprieties ?

5. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    from what i've read in the forums, a difference in the main and cross then tension is to maintain the racket's shape...and i think also prevents cracking of an isometric frame at the 12 o'clock position.
    less tension has a larger sweet spot so it's more forgiving
    high tension has a smaller sweet spot but you get more control

i personally haven't played much or tried many strings yet..so i can't give my opinion...:eek:

6. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I meant 22lbs all round. I tried different tensions for cross/main - I couldn't really feel any diff although I believe the other BFers will tell you otherwise...

I now use 24lbs for all my rackets as I found that it felt the best...