Tension main/cross, etc.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mickoz, Jan 9, 2005.

1. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Hi, a simple question (I hope)

Is how you go on about your tension.

Do you do the same tension "everywhere"

Do you ask a different kind of tension in main and cross.

And why is that? (Longevity of raquet, feel, etc. any reason)

Basicelly I want to know the difference about a uniform tension or a main/cross tension. more on cross? more on main? both are acceptable with different effect? etc?

If there is an article or post I have overlooked, feel free to point me torward it.

[Chance are I will go with a BG-80 with a Carbonex 15 racquet... is there some tension that won't work with a racquet like mine for example]

Thanks

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  3. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Thanks Kwun, I saw that one.

So if I go to a general shop around string my racquet (I do not have much time now to search for a lot of shop, and want to avoid going into 3 weeks of search and get something ok)

I was looking like I say to go into BG-80

I saw your review, you suggested 23 of tension with BG-80. Were you meaning 23 all around.

And do you always put cross higher by 1-2lbs? or sometime you just go uniform and that is ok, better for some reason (or no reason, just a feeling :p).

English is not my first language and I just want to know if I understand well cross, while thinking I begin to think two thing:

- my first impression (maybe because the past) is that it is on top and bottom of the racquet?
    - or second, we do like one side (horizontal or vertical, I don't know how it goes) and then the cross is the time we go across the [insert horizontal or vertical]

I know it may sound dumb, but maybe I better ask that question before thinking I know and in fact I do not even know what I say by cross!

4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

crosses are bumped up by about 10% for iso-head racquets.
    oval heads can be all-around.

theres many different patterns depending on preference and requirements.

search for them.

5. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    top to bottom (meaning in direction of the head to the handle) is main, cross is side to side.

6. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    I don't know why, but I had the impression we had to put a tension for top, middle and bottom of the racquet, but I am probably wrong and forgot what I was doing some years ago. (Or I just did not understand the number that got explained to me long time ago)

I have a Carbonex 15, therefore it is a classic oval model. I will probably go all around.

I will choose a basic pattern for now, since I will get back into it, and I have never really experimented different tension stuff that much in the past.

Thanks!

7. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I have a Carbonex 15 too, it's a classic oval shape, but the tension difference between main and cross strings shouldn't really be effected by the head shape.

What's important is that a stringer will always string the mains first, then the cross. This means the mains tension goes up by about 10% when the cross strings are being done. So setting 21 lbs main 23 cross, will give you a finished tension of 23 main 23 cross, nice and even and balanced.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with this explanation.

Also, there are some special main vs cross here and there, but most of such combo require good experience and special modified equipment.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    For the mains, start from the middle. Except for the two middle strings, you should string one string at a time, alternating on the left side and then the right side each time. To minimize slack on the two side main finishing strings, you should take the string from 9T to 12T, then up to 11H, 10H and down to 10T, skipping 11T. Do not use 11H and 12T for your mains last string. Use 10H and 10T for your last main string instead.

10. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    David and what String model and Tension do you use?

I think of going BG-80 and might follow your 21/23 setting (I will ask him to do it that way).

Will I lose String tension too, 1 day after, etc. I guess I gotta think about this too.