Peter Gade vs. André Agassi!?!?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Hasse, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Hasse

Hasse Guest

Hi all,

Have you heard about the new sport RACKETLON that have emerged in Sweden? It is a combination of badminton, squash, tennis and table tennis. (They play one set in each sport). It sounds like great fun. I just read a great introduction at www.racketlon.com. Check it out! It is a must!

And now they are going to arrange the first ever World Open!! Imagine Peter Gade playing André Agassi in the finals! Who do you think would win??

cheers,
    Hasse

2. Budi

Budi Guest

the chinese player is gonna win, coz they are good at badminton and table tennis.

3. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

ya but you're missing the point that a particular player has to be good at more than one sport. You're talking about the Chinese in general.

4. theConfused

theConfused Guest

What about Frost who's coaching tennis now

for badminton veteran

5. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Re: What about Frost who's coaching tennis now

chinese will win! we're all good at badminton and ping pong! lol.
    tennis and squash we should be alright too...remember michael chang? :smile:

6. Wedge4Life

Wedge4Life Guest

i'd love to see agassi play badminton

7. Jet

Jet Guest

badminton players will probably break their wrists trying to serve a tennis ball.

8. May

May Guest

not really. though build wld be a factor in their skill in serving. none of them wld be too gud @ it.

9. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

lol i injured my wrist from serving a tennis ball! but i dunno how to hit tennis balls properly so... :smile:

10. maestro

maestro Guest

Yep, racketlon sounds like good fun.
    Suppose Gade had to win just two points against Agassi in the concluding tennis set. I wonder if he'd make it?

11. runner

runner Guest

Agassi would win. Gade would never see the ball in tennis!

12. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Huh?

Er Runner, you do know that badminton shuttles travel faster in games than tennis balls don't you? If you don't then you're on the wrong website.

Btw, I don't see this as that hard, I certainly play all the sports, admittedly I'm much better at badminton, but you could get decent at all of them.

13. OJ

OJ Guest

Re: Huh?

it seems logic to me that a racketlon match between Gade and Agassi would only be interesting in the table tennis and squash sets. They are both elite athets and would probably not let the oponent win any points at all in their own sports.

14. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    This was done before

In the early '80s there was a 'battle of the racket sports' that I think included the sports you mention plus racketball. Various champions from these sports participated. However, they did not get to participate in their own (primary) sport. I don't recall who the badminton player(s) were but I do recall that Bjorn Borg, the tennis great, was a participant. He played all events except for tennis in this competition. I believe that Borg may have been a competent badminton player. I've heard rumors that MacEnroe and some other tennis greats also played badminton (but not in this competition).

It was the squash player(s), some of the Khan family, that dominated this competition.

15. Hasse

Hasse Guest

Re: This was done before

That is extemely interesting!
    Do you have any more information on this? A website perhaps.
    (I am myself probably going to take part in the Racketlon World Open in Sweden in November.)

16. Hasse

Hasse Guest

I am not sure about that! Did you read the introduction to racketlon on www.racketlon.com? The way they count - all balls give points - probably makes it very difficult to win with 21-0. The beauty of racketlon actually seems to be that even if one player is A LOT better than the other in one of the sports it will still be interesting in that sport assuming that the overall result is uncertain.

17. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied

this happened some 20 yrs ago. i'm not sure that it was ever repeated. i would doubt that there is an internet record of this.

18. JC

JC Guest

Pity la! It should have been played in my youth, but now at 60 something, how can man? Its not fair. Just to show my versatility, how about marbles and rubber-band? I can manage that + golf and top - my own-made kites always nose-dive - nothing to do with bad glue or poor balance - just perversity of fate. . JC

19. JC

JC Guest

Pity la! It should have been played in my youth, but now at 60 something, how can man? Its not fair. Just to show my versatility, how about marbles and rubber-band? I can manage that + golf and top - my own-made kites always nose-dive - nothing to do with bad glue or poor balance - just perversity of fate. . JC

20. OJ

OJ Guest

Well, i've never tryed racketlon myself but a good friend of mine has competed a few times quite successfully. He is(was) an elite badmintonplayer and a very good competing squash player. His experience was that as long as he didn't get to meet any elite tennis or table tennis players he was allright. But when he did he had no chance in returning serves in a good way and therefore lost big time to these players in their own sport, like 21-3 and such. However that didnt mean that much in the end due to the countingsystem. He got his chance in badminton and squash.

But I honestly think that Gade would lose the tennis part to Agassi with 21-1(one dubble fault is what you can expect) and that Gade would win with 21-1(a broken string can cause that point) in badminton over Agassi. They are world class for god sake!! Gade can totaly destroy another top 20 badminton player, why should he give any points to a nonbadmintoplaying athlete in badminton? The competition between these two would be most interesting in the squash and table tennis events ( though i seem to remember that Gade was a good table tennis player as a junior...).