User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 116
  1. #35
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have been playing for about 3 years now and when i began, my friends told me to begin with the basics. That actually has been some amazing advice. Ive played some school tournements and ive realized how simple it is to use someone's lack of basics against them. For example th,ere have been some individuals who have focused entirely on increasing power to their smashes. The simple solution was to just net. I feel that it is really important to get the basics down before doing anything else.

  2. #36
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Something I did when i was beginning was take a piece of paper and write down the stuff that i needed to work on!!
    this really worked for me!!

  3. #37
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf
    Let me add to that:

    Play 'competitive' matches, ie keep score. Mindlessly hitting around promotes laziness or lack of commitment to play well. A 'competitive' game will help gear the mind to do better as well as letting one learn to use the skills. A skill is only useful when it is used correctly in the correct situation, in the correct time. One might do great smashes during these hit-arounds but end up doing none or completely muffing it up during real games. When it matters ie keeping score, one will (almost) automatically try to play seriously and/or better.
    I would say not necessarily. I think having the game feel is imortant, but keeping score is not. I tend to learn best when doing a drill where all that's happening is a normal rally, but without scoring. It allows me to focus on a specific area I want to focus on, without worrying about if I'm losing or not.

  4. #38
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Twei]
    thanks for the advices! just that i don't really get the last point there. doesn't it mean that i should not react too fast, that i have to stay close to the back until i see where the shuttle is going to drop before moving?
    What it means is, don't be preoccupied with returning to the center of the court after each shot you hit. If you have correct footwork, you can get to any place on the court from anywhere else on the court without running back to the center after each shot.

    Basically, speed in badminton comes not from how fast you run, but how fast you see the shuttle. The best recovery is just a one-step recovery, whether it gets you to the center or not. However, this recovery happens automatically due to how you've hit the shot.

  5. #39
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Video...

    Where can i buy a video about badminton?

    thanks,
    Antok


    Quote Originally Posted by jet28
    Thanks for the advice. just started few weeks ago and when I thought i was getting better, i played with really good players and got so frustrated when i realized i suck! i almost gave up the sport til i read your advice. I think i should be more patient and re-focus myself. thanks again. any specific tips for beginners? dont have a coach, i just learn from a video i bought.

  6. #40
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I might suggest that game with the 6 shuttles to the club coach. You could have a competitive game where both players get 6 shuttles and are given 1 minute to place or throw the shuttles over the net. The winner has the least number of shuttles on his or her side after the minute. That would help with court speed, getting down low to scoop shots and tactics. Also if you did that flat out for one minute you'd be stuffed.

  7. #41
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    DAVAO CITY ,PHILIPPINES
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    we have many videos of badminton for biginners here in the philippines available in our video shops and also MVP CUP 2005 FEATURING "TAUFIK HIDAYAT VS. bOESEN,ROBERTSON/EMMS VS. ASSUNCION SIBLINGS OF PHIL. IT IS GOOD AND YOU CAN LEARN A LOT BY SLOWING THE MOTION OF THE GAME

  8. #42
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BJ
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    i think this has been echoed many times before, but i think it deserve another mention.

    for those who are starting badminton, i suggest a few things you should focus on and a few things that you should not focus on at this stage.

    FOCUS ON:

    - focus on the correct grip - read the grip guide in BC
    - focus on the correct stroke - ask a coach to show you.
    - focus on footwork
    - focus on fitness - jog/swim/bike - or do footwork drills

    DO NOT FOCUS ON:

    - trick shots - stop learning those strange shots.
    - fancy style - i have so many times seen beginners with really fancy looking hitting style but then they miss the shuttle. keep it simple.
    - strength training - leave this after you have learned your basic strokes
    - expensive racket - you will most likely be wasting money
    Good Advices!espencialy

  9. #43
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BJ
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    i think this has been echoed many times before, but i think it deserve another mention.

    for those who are starting badminton, i suggest a few things you should focus on and a few things that you should not focus on at this stage.

    FOCUS ON:

    - focus on the correct grip - read the grip guide in BC
    - focus on the correct stroke - ask a coach to show you.
    - focus on footwork
    - focus on fitness - jog/swim/bike - or do footwork drills

    DO NOT FOCUS ON:

    - trick shots - stop learning those strange shots.
    - fancy style - i have so many times seen beginners with really fancy looking hitting style but then they miss the shuttle. keep it simple.
    - strength training - leave this after you have learned your basic strokes
    - expensive racket - you will most likely be wasting money
    Good Advices!espencialy for beginner!

  10. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKleqY5X4Q8

    check the users other video lessons... what dya think?

  11. #45
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah... i am kinda new and I find this stuff all really good stuff for me to work on. Thanks everyone.

    On another note, I find a lot of people look down on badminton as a sport where all you do is stand around and hit a bird back and forth. I find it quite humourous when they go and get training, and find out how complex it is and about all the different aspects you have to master.

    (Don't know if this is the right place to post this)

  12. #46
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree with all of this post...
    but I have one opinion that is left behind in this thread...
    Serve...
    Serve is one of one of the basic that has to be mastered...
    If we dont serve well, the more easier our opponent get the point...
    Trust me...go to hundreds even thousands serve practice to reach perfection...
    The most common serve is long and short serves...
    The criteria ... Perfect long serve is a high and long serves,done by a forehand serve, it's very effective to use in a single match ... you must reach the maximum height,and to the very corner of the court ... if you hit the ball high...the ball will dove down sharply make it very hard for the opponent to launch an attack ...
    The other one is short serve, very effective during double match...It's commonly done by backhand serve, the criteria for this serve is, the height must be as narrow as possible to the net edge...
    the placement is as short as possible from the inner baseline...If you already good at it...you maybe try to aim it to the inner baseline corner to make it as difficult as possible for the opponent to launch an attack...
    The serve technique must be perfected to win a match, cause it's a crucial one...it wouldnt matter if you have good smash...good stroke, good footwork...but lousy server..you wont score...
    Keep on practicing...

  13. #47
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrian.sutikna
    I agree with all of this post...
    but I have one opinion that is left behind in this thread...
    Serve...
    Serve is one of one of the basic that has to be mastered...
    If we dont serve well, the more easier our opponent get the point...
    Trust me...go to hundreds even thousands serve practice to reach perfection...
    The most common serve is long and short serves...
    The criteria ... Perfect long serve is a high and long serves,done by a forehand serve, it's very effective to use in a single match ... you must reach the maximum height,and to the very corner of the court ... if you hit the ball high...the ball will dove down sharply make it very hard for the opponent to launch an attack ...
    The other one is short serve, very effective during double match...It's commonly done by backhand serve, the criteria for this serve is, the height must be as narrow as possible to the net edge...
    the placement is as short as possible from the inner baseline...If you already good at it...you maybe try to aim it to the inner baseline corner to make it as difficult as possible for the opponent to launch an attack...
    The serve technique must be perfected to win a match, cause it's a crucial one...it wouldnt matter if you have good smash...good stroke, good footwork...but lousy server..you wont score...
    Keep on practicing...
    yeah, you wouldn't like to lose a point before starting a rally!

  14. #48
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    472
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I dont spend alot of time coaching beginners how to serve. An yes of course the serve is "the most important shot to do well", however every rally begins with a serve so this shot naturally gets practiced more than others. Theres plenty of time later to tweak the serve. More time needs to be spent in learning all the other shots. Unlike the serve all the other shots involve footwork and a variety of bodily skill. The other shots in my opinion take longer to learn to do well and must form the basis of the coaching sessions.

  15. #49
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coachgary
    .....however every rally begins with a serve so this shot naturally gets practiced more than others. Theres plenty of time later to tweak the serve.
    Practice makes permanent. If beginners have a poor understanding of service technique and tactical application, then their practice will be of dubious benefit.

    For that reason, I like to deal with the service early on in coaching. You don't need to spend much time on it, but it makes sense to teach it early. It's nearly always the first thing I teach, along with warm-up and cool-down ideas.

    Do it once, get it right, then move on to something else.

  16. #50
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have one more thing that i think must be mastered by beginners..it is about the right grip to the racket..
    It is also very immportant things to start..request the right grip from your trainer...

  17. #51
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i wish i could. i want a coach but not many coaches in ipoh wants to coach a woman who's not really trying to be the world champion. i just want to play properly with the right technique. but as i said, a coach is hard to come by. and some are just too expensive. so i am relegated to learning through videos found here and elsewhere on the internet. and i tell you, it is hard to learn from a video.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    : 01-31-2010, 11:51 AM
  2. Starting a badminton club
    By k44k44 in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 7
    : 11-13-2008, 12:20 AM
  3. Help, starting badminton
    By nightpup in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 12
    : 03-23-2008, 02:21 PM
  4. Starting to play badminton again..
    By Swordfish712 in forum General Forum
    Replies: 3
    : 07-08-2003, 02:20 PM
  5. Starting to play badminton again..
    By Swordfish712 in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 3
    : 07-08-2003, 02:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •