User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azabaz_ipoh
    i wish i could. i want a coach but not many coaches in ipoh wants to coach a woman who's not really trying to be the world champion. i just want to play properly with the right technique. but as i said, a coach is hard to come by. and some are just too expensive. so i am relegated to learning through videos found here and elsewhere on the internet. and i tell you, it is hard to learn from a video.
    im very sorry to hear that...
    but one question is...where is Ipoh??
    Sorry to say but i never heard of your country before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ adrian.sutikna
    Ipoh is a town in the state of Perak , and Perak lies in Malaysia.

I learn alot from this guide here ! Thanks and cheers !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play for Santa Rosa High school in California and I am ranked #9 out of 20 on the team and I recently bought a $50 carlton power blade racquet would that be considered to advanced of a racquet for me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Badminton Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    i think this has been echoed many times before, but i think it deserve another mention.

for those who are starting badminton, i suggest a few things you should focus on and a few things that you should not focus on at this stage.

FOCUS ON:

- focus on the correct grip - read the grip guide in BC
    - focus on the correct stroke - ask a coach to show you.
    - focus on footwork
    - focus on fitness - jog/swim/bike - or do footwork drills
    hi there.. im new in this forum, and in badminton as well. Do you know where to find (on internet) badminton resources for beginners showing pictures or videos of reminders qouted above and other helpful resources for beginners like me?

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onzki View Post
    hi there.. im new in this forum, and in badminton as well. Do you know where to find (on internet) badminton resources for beginners showing pictures or videos of reminders qouted above and other helpful resources for beginners like me?

thanks!
    1. Youtube. Nuff said.
    2. There are downloadable videos here. Do a search for Zhao Jianhua, Peter Gade, Peter Rasmussen, and Lee Jae Bok.
    3. Butch Oreta and Vip Malixi have published an instructional book. It's available at National Bookstore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only been playing badminton for a year, about twice a week, just as a recreation.

However, I'm really loving it despite losing all the time. I think it;s about time for me to bring my game to the next level. Anyone knows a good coach in Surrey, south east England? I think something is wrong with my grip/strokes as I cannot consistently hit the shuttle despite getting there early.

I have watched Zhao Jian Hua's video, to no avail, and I need someone professional to point out my mistakes to me.

If its of any help, I'm using an old Yonex Carbonex 9 SP racket that's about a hundred years old. Lol.
    Last edited by andrewlimch; 10-08-2007 at 04:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

if i may just addon

FOCUS ON:

- focus on the correct grip - read the grip guide in BC
    - focus on the correct stroke(note full body balance)- ask a coach to show you.
    - focus on footwork (note full body balance)
    - focus on fitness - jog/swim/bike - or do footwork drills

keep this update people!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another tip:

Best way to learn is to practice, not read forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default beginning

Read the tips for beginners. Great education.

Have started badminton for health and exercise purposes. Really fun and great sport to watch.

I started the game with my wife and we basically are worst than novices - no formal lessons and such. But we enjoy it so much we do an hour everyday in the morning at a nearby public park area - outside

Can someone pls give me advice on the following points.
    For beginning beginnerswhat is a good racket without looking like a complete nerd and buying a racket just by the price? I am planning to buy a Yonex for the name value and cause I see so many tournaments with great players using them!

Second, I used to play tennis and got up to a low B club level. How much of a similarity is there is racket grips with tennis and badminiton - or is it totally different?Thks for any advice and comments. newkid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newkid View Post
    Read the tips for beginners. Great education.

Have started badminton for health and exercise purposes. Really fun and great sport to watch.

I started the game with my wife and we basically are worst than novices - no formal lessons and such. But we enjoy it so much we do an hour everyday in the morning at a nearby public park area - outside

Can someone pls give me advice on the following points.
    For beginning beginnerswhat is a good racket without looking like a complete nerd and buying a racket just by the price? I am planning to buy a Yonex for the name value and cause I see so many tournaments with great players using them!

Second, I used to play tennis and got up to a low B club level. How much of a similarity is there is racket grips with tennis and badminiton - or is it totally different?Thks for any advice and comments. newkid
    doesn't matter what the pros use, they're pros. getting a Yonex Ti-10 like Fu Haifeng has doesn't grant you an instant 332km/h smash. any full carbon graphite racquet will do, make sure it's a one piece racquet though. some have two pieces joined at the racquet head neck. those are bad.

there are some similarities between tennis and badminton. for example, the overhead serve is kind of similar to an over the head stroke. of course, the small details will be different. search the Techniques/training section. also look for gollum's grip guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default shifty thks

Thks.

Great advice. Bought a Yonex carbo racket. Cheap but found out later it was Made in Taiwan. No sweat - will wait until skills improve. Aslo advice about similarity with tennis was welcomed.

Am presently taking a focrced rest due to doctor's stop. Seems I either strained or minor tear of some ligaments / muscles on my left shoulder. Probably happened when I went up for a smash on my right playing side. Had a similar experience playing tennis. Too much pull on the supporting side. But the pain is worse cause of age.Thks again. Newkid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are T jointed rackets bad? I'm using one at the moment as it's pretty heavy compared to my wife's Ti-8 or my friend's Nanotech.

the reason why i stuck to that old racket is because it's heavy and old. I thought i could practise my strength and technique better with a heavy one... I even use it to play doubles.

Once I get better, I will transition to a proper racket and hope that my movement will get exponentially faster.

Would appreciate your reply, Shifty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually, if you REALLY want to train strength and speed, use a squash racquet

also, if you get used to using the old heavy racquet, you may find it quite difficult to transition to a new racquet. If you're a beginner, its best to stick with one racquet that you're going to use for a long time before switching. That way, you can actually concentrate on improving your technique (especially the fundamentals) rather than trying to adjust to a new racquet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewlimch View Post
    Why are T jointed rackets bad? I'm using one at the moment as it's pretty heavy compared to my wife's Ti-8 or my friend's Nanotech.

the reason why i stuck to that old racket is because it's heavy and old. I thought i could practise my strength and technique better with a heavy one... I even use it to play doubles.

Once I get better, I will transition to a proper racket and hope that my movement will get exponentially faster.

Would appreciate your reply, Shifty.
    sorry for such a late reply but i forgot all about this thread. the reason is that the t-joint usually isn't stiff, so you can bend the joint at the racquet head. what you'll end up getting is the head not lining up with the shaft, kinda stuck out at an angle,like a bendy straw. no matter how you try, you can't get it to line up again. those that are one piece won't bend like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

i 100 %ly agree with you; to hit using a mp 100 while you still c'ant smash, you are just wasting the racquet's ability.
    YOu should also master the basics first before attempting or putting all your effort into training in those fancy shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have a training programs for badminton? books or pdf files? I want to learn proper badminton? plz help me out,.,.email it to jkem_fontanilla@yahoo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Great advises.

Does this apply to junior too?
    My children (9 to 13yrs) started coming to an adult badminton at the local leisure centre once a week.
    My wife & myself joined this group afew weeks ago so we can get some exercise. We had not play for over 15yrs and fitness is poor but we are not totally beginner.

How best to start with the juniors? Any advise or guidance? Any dvd that train juniors?
    How best to keep them interested and yet not learn bad habit?
    If they play tennis at school with coaching, will the techniques contradict with badminton?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast