News : Exhausted Taufik gives Korea Open a miss

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2005' started by kwun, Jan 10, 2005.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Exhausted Taufik gives Korea Open a miss

Moch. N. Kurniawan, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

After his disappointing performance at the Copenhagen Masters in December, Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat has begged off playing in the six-star Noonnoppi Korea Open later this month, citing the need to rest.

"Taufik had requested PBSI remove him from the team to compete US$250,000 Korea Open after his poor results in Copenhagen," Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) head of development affairs Icuk Sugiarto said on Monday.

"I talked to his coach today, and we agreed to drop him from the squad."

After winning Olympic gold in Athens last August, Taufik, 23, continued playing at top form, taking the Indonesia Open here for the fifth time in early December.

However, in Copenhagen later the same month, Taufik suffered consecutive defeats to Dane Peter Gade and Wong Choong Hann of Malaysia in his round robin group.

Icuk said Taufik had been under heavy pressure to win in Copenhagen after his Indonesia Open triumph.

"He needs to take a rest for a while," Icuk said.

With Taufik out of the Korea Open, Indonesia has entered 11 shuttlers in the tournament, he said.

They are Simon Santoso in the men's singles; men's double pairs Luluk Hadiyanto/Alven Yulianto, Chandra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto and Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan; and the mixed double pairs of Nova Widhianto/Lilyana Natsir and Anggun Nugroho/Yunita Tetty.

Icuk said that although the players had been registered to play in the Korea Open, PBSI chairman Sutiyoso would have the final say on whether they would actually compete.

He targeted an Indonesian win in the men's doubles in Incheon City, while one of the mixed doubles pairs could at least reach the final.

Icuk also said Olympic bronze medalist Sony Dwi Kuncoro, who had undergone minor surgery on his injured right instep, might be able to return to competition next month.

"We had planned to send Sony to the All England (March) and Japan Open (April), but perhaps we could seek a tournament in Chinese Taipei next month for him if his condition gets much better this week."

Sony last played at the Indonesia Open, where he was stopped in the quarterfinals by Bao Chunlai of China 5-15, 2-15.

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    So, it will be Nova/Lilyana after all.

3. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    yea, i see, good then, sad that there will be no taufik, i dont see sony as good as taufik, not even close, but hes good anyway,,

4. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Yes, finally PBSI has confirmed that Nova will play with Lelyana.
    But...... no Taufik.

Taufik's peak-moments are in OG and IO where he won.
    After those it seems that he sit his down-moment where he suffered defeats to Peter and Choong Hann Wong.
    Or ....... maybe he is a bit like..... 'looking for excuse' :rolleyes:

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Taufik will never be a player to win every tournament he enters, as he isnt that inclined.

i am not sure of the statistics, but I believe he enters less tournaments than most of the other players throughout most years, due to injury, arguments, or not in the right frame of mind.

This is not a criticism as such, but I am not that sad to see hiim out. When he doesnt want to play he can be terrible to watch.

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    yup........ i agree. just look at his 2004 thomas cup match againts Bao ChunLai!

jug

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I find it funny.. to find that most high ranked players the the fav to lose in the copenhagen masters. Those that usually win in other opens when goes to denmark to play in the masters , they lose.

8. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    yea, hes a pain in the *** when he doesnt want to play, better not see him play when hes in that kind of condition