Halim as a trainer in Tony's club

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by jkusmanto, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Just red about Halim Haryanto.

As we know, Halim resigned from Pelatnas (PBSI's training centre) and went to USA. He is a trainer for badminton club Orange County California.
    He joins Tony to be a trainer in the club.
    The club has 2 Indonesian world players now.
    Good luck !

Can anybody from California conform this news ?

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    And together, they were awesome! I can still remember AE 2001 Finals.
    They can really help in teaching the part about 'partnership' and 'formation' here. Halim will do the power bit, Tony the tricky bit.

3. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Great, I cannot wait to see his actions at my club. Tony came to play once in a while, and I am sure Halim will do the same.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

He's supposed to be leaving Jakarta this coming Sunday(01/16), and I assume he will arrive on Sunday(L.A. time). Then in March, he will go back to be with his wife for the birth of the 2nd child.

This news on Halim was kind of expected. I've posted a report on him, as reported last September during the U.S. Open here @ OCBC(the same place where Halim will be coaching and where the players will practice for the upcoming World Championships). If you want to find out my report, you can go to the 2004 Tournaments link and read there.

I met his wife also, Jeanny, and talked with her. She was pregnant at the time and she was speaking with some lady about living in the U.S. I guess she wanted to find out if the govt. give any sponsorship for the family. And from what i summed up talking with her, she seemed enthusiastic and eager to coming. Personally i don't know what made him decide to come and work/coach/play here, I mean he has a job there working for his father, but i guess he might be interested in something else.

I also read on the same report that he might suit up and play under the U.S. flag with Tony. I wonder if he will suit up and play for the U.S. now, wow seeing Tony and Halim play together again.. :rolleyes:

5. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

yeah, he's coming this monday to ocbc.

6. scchang

scchang Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer
    It is official now. He was introduced as the new coaching staff of USBDF in a workshop yesterday.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21121

7. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

yes...the workshop.................i was so nervous

8. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    Hei Ironchef,

Your speech went beautifully !! The content was rich and humble. Great job !!

9. scchang

scchang Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer
    The most fearful thing is to speak publicly. Well, all speakers express their ideas clearly. But I would say that some visual aids such as power points presentation would make talks even easier to be visualized.

I chatted with a friend about the workshop. He thought that it might be even more helpful if some video clips from Tony/Halim's games could be used as the example and they could give the audience the comments about their phyiscal and mental conditionings during and between games....

Cheers,
    -SC

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    care to share it with us?

and for those who attended the workshop, can you share what was said?

11. harimau

harimau Regular Member

The workshop was called "the winning edge" a motivational workshop; the purpose was to stimulate and motivate our players here that all is possible to achieve with hardwork, determination, sacrifice, dicipline, and goal oriented.
    To be a successful player or champion has two parts : Mental and physical. SO the first speaker started out to explain about how important is it to be mentally tough because it is just as important as in physical fitness. He mentioned things like develop your own perfomance cues, visualization, breathing techniques, etc. Whereas Tony explained how he became successful even he did not have that much talent like Sigit or Taufik. But he has the tenacity to practice hard and follow thru with it. He did it 7 days aweek. He felt that most of our players give up too easily and dont have a fighting spirit to fight until the last drop of blood. What he observed during his less than 2 years here is that most of our players are too concern about seeding and drawing. He was trained by his dad that it is the best to meet the 1st seed when you are still fresh and in best condition to perform your utmost ability. The reason being when you beat the 1st seed in 1st round, chances are you will be going all the way to the final. He said often time our jr players here concern about that issue it has become a mental block for them. One of the best secret he shared was when he said his friend (Hendrawan, a single player from INDO) once told him that "If better is possible, good is not enough".
    Howard Bach also shed some light regarding his personal experience to be at where he is right now. He also agreed that it takes lots of sacrifice and tenacity/perseverance.
    At the end of the workship, Tony presented 2 awards to recognize two of his students who he think has shown tremendous amount of hard work, dicipline and tenacity. One of them is Jennifer Coleman, and David Lim. They both deserved it very much. They both gave their speech.....very touching and inspiring. Jennifer Coleman almost turned into tears.....
    The best part of the workshop was the publish of a comic book entitled, " The world of wonder book " donation only (Min $ 10.00). The book is about Tony and his short life adventure in the US.

12. harimau

harimau Regular Member

Talking about multimedia presentation, i actually did indicate to them about the idea of using "projector" and video clips as introduction for like 1-3 minutes. But one of the speakers preferred not to have it.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks harimau for the summary.... congratulations David and Jennifer!

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

More on the new life of Halim in the U.S.

Hello all,
    I went to watch the SCBA 2005 Classics tournament at OCBC yesterday and today, where i was able to meet and chat with him for quite a while and I have some more tidbits about Halim and his current work. Anyway, for those interested in Halim's news(ie. aiyuww), here are some more slew of infos i want to share..

Well, he's currently working as one of the trainer, working a regular 40 hrs./week. He works 6 days a week taking Wednesday off, working usually from 4pm til 10pm at night. He said right now, his main assignment is to train very young kids, those younger than 12 yrs. old. He said basically he's handling the "job that no one else" wants to take(hehehe). Eventhough sometimes it's stressful, overall he enjoyed working, keeping himself busy everyday. In comparison to what he was doing back home to help his father with a small business, he said would prefer working here instead, even if it's "laborous" type. He said eventhough he misses his family(wife and kid), at least he has something productive to do everyday to keep his mind off. He said he also do "extra badminton private lesson" to get extra income, outside of his normal working hours. Whilst chatting with him, I kind of feel *bad* a little bit about him, because in 2 weeks when Tony G. and Howard B. depart for the German Open and All-England, he has to move out for a while(from Tony G's apt) and *basically sleep* @ OCBC. Yup, he said OCBC has a small room downstairs, complete with bed and a shower for him to use(sigh, poor Halim, leaving Indo and coming here to make a career/make a living but has to sleep in the gym). When I heard him said that, i just shake my head, saying to myself wow he really sacrificed his "comfortable" life in Indo just for this.

But throughout the conversation, his tone and attitude seemed upbeat and eager. After asking him, it seemed like he is *firm* on his immediate future is here in the U.S. He said, if he wasn't married, he probably wouldn't go back and won't be "burdened thinking about his wife and kids back home". He actually felt comfortable already after about 1 month staying and working here, not sounding homesick at all. He said he's grateful that Don Chew is willing to help and sponsor him. But then Halim also said, he's just worried about how his wife and kids will adopt once they all make the move here. As you all probably know, he plans to go back to Jakarta around April to attend the birth of his son. Then stay in Indo for 2-3 months to accompany his wife&family(which is also very nice of Don Chew to give him that time off) before heading back to U.S. again and once all the paperwork and greencard is finalized in Indo(Which he also told me, is worried because as usual, the Indo govt. is full of bureaucracy and corruption which could delay and hassle his schedule). He's also a bit worry because he promised Don Chew that he will come back to help train the U.S. national players for the upcoming World Championships, but if the schedule doesn't allow him to come back in time, then he won't be doing his job. He said most likely his wife and daughter will come to the U.S. around August or September. I'm glad for him and his career but poor guy, what a way to start a new life and career...

Anyhoo, as our chat continued, he mentioned about his plan to take on study in the U.S. later after coming back around summer time.
    I also asked him how does he manage to eat the meals, he said usually when Tony G.'s wife cook, the three of them share the meal(which is pretty nice of them). But he then said jokingly most likely when he goes back to Indo, he will need to learn how to cook because once he comes back to the U.S. he'll probably move out and get a place/live on his own, can't live and stay with Tony and his wife all the time, thus he needs to learn how to cook(hehehehe)..
    I also asked him if he has gone anywhere else around Southern California(ie. Alhambra, Monterey Park, San Gabriel where most of the Asian community in So.Cal basically gathers) and he said, nope, he hasn't gone to those places yet. The funny thing is, he said he doesn't even miss Indonesian food either(hehehehe). So far he has only stayed around OCBC(Orange County near Anaheim Pond) and the surrounding area. He also mentioned, after leaving the Indo national team (Pelatnas) in late fall, he never followed up on the ongoings of the national team. He didn't even know Sony Kuncoro suffered an injury and had to undergo minor surgery, and was a bit surprise to hear that from me. About his status of playing for the U.S. team, he said right now he has no plans as he is still in the process of adjusting and getting familiar with the surroundings. He will probably train and spar with Tony G./Howard Bach and prepare them, as well as the rest of the U.S. Squad for the World Championships in August. For the future, he might get more involve and might play under the U.S. flag, once his green-card(living status) is officially given.

Anyway, as I left the tournament I told Halim to take it easy and hope he'll make progress slowly. I'm sure he will and next time if any BCers are interested and want to meet and chat with him, I can introduce him to you guys, very open and very friendly person to talk and chat with..

#14 ctjcad, Feb 13, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

One more thing to add, he said another factor of him deciding to move and work in the U.S. is Yonex wanted to sponsor him thus he is also in contract with them. Without them, he said most likely he won't take the offer and move here..

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    thanks for the nice and touching stories, ctjcad and harimau.

BAck last june, during the revolution 2004, I had a chance to meet halim and his wife. He was very approachable. Because he was more comfortable wif his native language, most of the conversation continued on wif my indonesian frens. Because i had to work, some of the guys took the couples to banff too. You guys are lucky to have 'two' world class players over there.

17. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Wow this would be great!!! :D
    Thank you for this detailed and instructive report, nice to learn what Halim is becoming now... :)

18. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Who Are You?

Wait, so Yonex & US Badminton requested him to be a trainer here in the US?

Hey ctjcad, are you an active member at the OCBC? How do you know so much about what's going on at OCBC? I am very curious to know if you are one of the players on the US national or junior team or even one of the coaches there.

19. novl

novl Regular Member

Financial Advisor
    Nice piece about Halim and his life in the U.S. What I'm really interested in is if it's possible to get a training session from him or Tony. It would be reason enough to fly over, drop my kid off at Disneyland, and get a few hours training from 2 of my favorite players. Could you give me the address of OCBC and can I contact those guys through you?

20. scchang

scchang Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Their partnership is so far my favorite pair. Halim's powerful jump smash and Tony's great strategy are indeed great match. Like the commentator citing what Mainaky said in the 2001 All England open, "they are basically crashing their opponents." I am looking forward to see them reform the partnership if possible.

Here is the info per your inquiry:

Oragne County Badminton Club:
    Address: 1432-A N. Main Street, Orange, California 92867-3404 USA
    [font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][size=-1]Phone(714) 639-6222
    FAX (714) 639-8392
    E-mail: [/size][/font][size=-1][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]info@ocbadmintonclub.com[/font][/size]