Should I avoid playing games?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chandar, Jan 13, 2005.

1. chandar

chandar New Member

Hi, after playing badminton for 7 years and accumulating all kind of bad forms, I decide to get coached. So the first lesson my coach correct my grips, and teach me some footwork.
    My question is should I avoid playing games? What I worry about is during game time, I will revert back to all the bad forms I had and mess up the stuff I learned.
    I am pretty sure some of you have been in this situation before, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    That is a tough one to answer.If you can play a game and focus purely on proper technique without worrying about the results then maybe you can.Unfortunately if you get caught up in the drama of the game the bad habits will surely surface and reinforce themselves even more.If your seriously dedicated you need a training partner to drill with.Proper technique is worth all the suffering and practice and makes the game way more worthwhile when you start to see the results.Otherwise just face the fact your games will always come with limitations.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    chandar, you are in the right track. playing intense game will likely forces you to use your bad habits again.

the way i usually approach it is to play games against players much lower level than me. that way, i won't be playing under pressure and have ample amount of time to think how i execute each stroke correctly. and if you do screw up the execution, it is ok as that will bring you down to your peer's level.

4. chandar

chandar New Member

Thx. This sounds like a good idea, maybe I can start playing with my mom again. :D

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Kwun is spot on, I notice every adult beginner I teach goes and plays straight after the coaching sessions the same week in the same games they have always played and they all revert back to their bad habits.

When they come back the following week we have to correct the same things again :( One guy came on our course 3 times and still had the same bad habits because he would change to the correct procedure once we spent a lot of time with him but when he got outside it went to pot.

You need to play to practice but at a lower level as Kwun points out to give yourself more of a chance to change your game under less pressure so it will stick with you and stop the bad habits.

6. chandar

chandar New Member

Second question for you guys. Even if I am going to play a game, should I stick with singles only? Seems to me doubles is a less discipline (not sure this is the correct word) game, and can mess up the footwork (this is what I am focusing on for now) more easily.

7. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    If it is footwork specifically that you want to work on, singles games would likely be more beneficial because you have to cover more space. But I don't think it's fair to say that doubles is any less disciplined--- it's just that the most important singles elements are not necessarily the most important doubles elements. The old addage of great singles players being not able to play good doubles and vice versa holds true.

Doubles is not any easier or less disciplined an singles, it's apples and oranges...

8. chandar

chandar New Member

just as i thought disciplined is the wrong word to use.
    WHat I mean is that, in singles there's only one base (in the middle). whereas in doubles, the base keep changing depends on the formation (front back, side), so it's much easy to screw up :(