Staying Motivated

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Eurasian =--(O), Jan 13, 2005.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Hey, I have a real motivation problem. I was just in a tournament that I really didn't care about winning, I was in the semi finals, didn't warm up, didn't really do anything to prepare other than sit with friends. The first game went my way.. somehow i didnt' really do anything to win it. The second game I wasn't really interested in, my opponent took it. The third game I was just thinking like DAMN its cold in here. He was up like 14-4 when suddenly i felt motivated and went on a 6 point tear dictating the pace until i made a dumb mistake and he won. WTF? why would i feel that way the guy who i was playing i am much better technically, equal in fitness, more dominant player with smarter shot selections. Then on the other end of the spectrum in practice when I play opponents who i know train much more than me and are better than me I play with the utmost of intensity and am totally motivated until im exhausted :p ... can anyone give me any tips on how they stay motivated?

2. Chrispywu

Chrispywu Regular Member

Well maybe.. dont be so cocky.. pretend ur opponent is a "challenge" instead of an easy win.. then u will probably try ur hardest to beat him...

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

i dont know why but thats very hard for me to do. off the court i am a very humble person as well... i think i need a shrink :confused:

4. Chrispywu

Chrispywu Regular Member

To tell you the truth.. im cocky too.. except i really suck.. so im all talk..lol

5. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Perhaps you should set a different goal for yourself such as only allowing so many points for your opponent.Another goal might be to keep all shots in or keep your unforced errors to a minimum.Maybe you need better opponents to give you that incentive to improve.Otherwise you just need to get a fresh perspective on the game.