any idea why Gopichand has such a hard time with M

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mo, Aug 11, 2001.

1. mo

mo Guest

any idea why Gopichand has such a hard time with Marleve?

Lost to him twice in the space of 2 weeks in the indonesian open and the grand prix... I heard none of the Indonesian stars were allowed to practice with him (pbsi?) and so he was practicing with former stars Luis Pongoh and Eddie Kurniawan...

Is he having a lot of trouble adjusting to the 5x7?

Maybe he does not have enough people to practice with at his level of play in India there is nobody close to him not like in Indonesia or China where there are a lot of people in the top 30 ranks around to hit with?

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Re: any idea why Gopichand has such a hard time wi

He is a fraction too slow and his shots lack bite and pace and he makes too many errors.That is what appears to me on TV.

3. mo

mo Guest

lucky you! where are you at you get these matches on tv? could you possibly record some of these for me? I am in the US

he does make too many unforced errors but that does not affect his game against other players who he beats regularly - he seems to have Ji Xinpengs number - has beaten him all 6 times theyve met and this week was the first time Ji was able to take a game off him - maybe 'cause its just 7 points now- I've seen only one match of his vs. Chen yu in JVC ABC last year....

Thanks,
    -Mo

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

It could be the way Gopi plays. In the All England semi's, Gade moved in anticipation for a lot of shots before Gopi had struck the shutttle. Very hard for any player to change direction under such circumstances.

In other matches, Gopi does not seem to be able to deceive the opponents so easily. Perhaps people have "got his number" and only move when the shuttle is struck. Certainly against Sonny Dwi Kuncoro (Spelling?), the deceptive shots were not producing the desired results.

Why Ji should have such a hard time with Gopi? I was unaware that he has lost to Gopi so much. Then again, Ji has been having a hard time this year with everybody!!

5. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad

Yeah also Xia beat Ji, Ji beat Hendrawan but Hendrawan beat Xia.

I doubt its the deception thing that Gopi uses to beat Ji as Ji beats Hendrawan and all of his deceptive tactics. I think Ji has just had a hard time trying to regain that form that he had in Sydney

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Not possible to record for you as US is NTSC whilst rest of world PAL.To convert and postage very expensive. Do what others do, get your tapes from the same source located in Canada.Just move around this site, you'll find the address.

7. Calvin

Calvin Guest

Agreed, his shots aren't sharp & clinical enuf, vis a vis Chen Hong. That's why CH find him an easier opponent than say ppl. like Marleve , Hendrawan or Gade.
    Also agreed he's a trifle too slow & prone to unforced errors.
    Given his age, he isn't likely to change much henceforth,
    unlike youngsters like CH(21+) whose 'staccato' movements around the court could be retified or improved upon with time.

8. JC

JC Guest

Re: Gopichand is past it QED

Simple answer - he's past it. Gopi only got into top 10 in 2000; and until AE 2001, remained 6-15 in the world; since the AE, he's hardly got into even quarters. He's in his mid 20's, so he will be a one-off case with a very unattractive game and no on-court presence - reminds me of Xiao Hui in the Korean finals vs Gade - a colourless body with no special skills or even looks and his game was as bad.
    Meaning of 'on court presence'? Look at the the tall blonde Gade or the crewcut, beautifully muscular Ch in short shorts, who is like an outer space stranger or a cute robot come to life or.... They are fine specimens and attractive to look at even if they cannot give you the results.
    Gopi ? - naw!! JC

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Gopi has done wonderfully well considering he was almost crippled by knee ligament injury. Imagine if he had not suffered such an injury.....

10. Lachimi

Lachimi Guest

Cheung,
    What do you mean by such comments? Are you joking? Its like my telling you about my tennis elbow hampering my fairway iron shots. He is a pro and he must expect to play by those standards. No excuses or handicaps will give you a win or the cheque. Only results do.
    JC
    Are you looking at these players as potential sex partners or something? How kinky. I never tought of CH in that way until you mention it. Now I see what you are talking about - his expression never changes - its like a mask and those muscular tighs in mini shorts. But as for Gade, you can keep him blond or tall or anything. Lachimi.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Since Gopi has done so well after his injury, my feeling is that it would be premature to write him off at this stage.

Would we write off Ji Xin Peng now? Last month, we could have said the same about Xia Xuan Ze about him being a three month wonder.