Returning Smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Saruman, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Saruman

Saruman New Member

Hi I need some advice on returning smashes. Usually I am close to returning them or even get a touch but never return them to the correct position. A lot of times the smash goes straight past without time for me to react. Should I be anticipating the place my opponent is going to smash to?

Thanks.

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    there has been a past post about this same topic or it was very similar i cannot remember but you shoudl use the search function. to answer ur question i have a question of my own, what is your stants when you are going to return a smash? because if you dont have the right stance then ofcourse it will go right past you. and i woudl also suggest that you should be anticipating where it is going to go i do it also but i dont rely heavly on it but just read there body language.

3. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    I tend to change grip when about to take on a smash, i stand at the T, i grip my racket higher up to the cap and hold in front of my face. This way, ill be able to change direction to forehand or backhand in a instant giving you more control with your racket. I wouldnt get a lot of power or range but that doesnt matter since i just need to block and return it low. Block and pray! lol

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

In doubles especially, you need to be able to drive or lift the smash returns. If you can only block, good opponents will pick up points by killing many of your smash returns.

But the technique you describe is good for lifts and drives too :) I like this method, because it allows me to hit both forehands and backhands, and crouching down low keeps away the threat of body shots.

5. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

its all about anticipation, footwork, execution and reflex. First you try to anticipate you opponents shot, then you start the preloading jump, then you react to the shot if it is hit somewhere unexpected, then you execute the shot. for me its all about the footwork :D

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    What is your court position when you are defending against the smash? Lee Jae Bok recommends standing (in a low couched position) a little more than half way back in the court (~ 1 step back) in order to have enough time to react. The racket should be held not much higher than waist level; the racket head should be well in front of the body.

It is very important to incorporate a split-step in your smash defence. Just as the smasher's racket head is approaching the shuttle to make contact, initiate the split-step (a small hop that has you landing with your feet a little wider). If you time the split-step correctly, you will be landing on the balls of your feet just as the shuttle is leaving the smasher's racket. This action should help you react quick enough to the smash.

Since you are having problems with smash returns, you should 1st learn just to block smashes back. Once you can do this proficiently, then go for more advanced returns as Gollum suggests.

If you suspect that your reflexes are not quick enough there are a couple of thing you can do. Practice the suggestions above with a partner hitting half-speed smashes at/near you. As you get more proficient, have your partner increase the speed of the smashes somewhat. If you can handle that, then have your partner hit more challenging smashes.

Another means for improving your reflexes is to try the online exercises at www.MyBrainTrainer.com . There are 2 free test exercises at the site. Unfortunately, the free tests are not really the best exercises that they have for athletic hand/eye/brain skills. You'll have to spend a little money to get access to the 5 or so training exercises that apply most to sports. The price is very reasonable right now & certainly well worth it.