running, treadmills, shin splints

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Big Slick, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

Can somebody explain to me why I get shin splints if I run on a treadmill for any decent period of time but I don't when I run outside on the road?

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    the treadmill might have a slight incline?

stride pattern different?

3. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

There's no incline on the treadmill, because you can adjust that and I always leave it at 0. Maybe it is the stride pattern, I must run differently on the treadmill or something...

4. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

One problem I had while using a treadmill was that there wasn't enough "running space." In other words, you tend to move your feet closer and are afraid to "fall off" the treadmill and therefore you tighten your muscles or tense them up. Also, your treadmill may not have special cushioning under the platform. Either way, I do not like running on the treadmill because then I focus more on the time (my treadmill has a timer and this weird tracking thing), and then get very lazy and give up easier. I prefer running outside also because it feels more natural and I'm not feeling like I am about to break the machine :p

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Some of the better treadmills have quite a bit of give...they absorb the shock much better than cheaper ones so the shins & joints don't take as much abuse.

Try a longer stride on the treadmill.. this may prevent excessive up-and-down action while you are running. I noticed that some ppl make quite a lot of noise when their feet hit the treadmill belt... make sure that you are not 1 of these ppl. Run so that you are lighter on your feet.

6. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

Thanks guys, I reckon it must be the stride length. I am very tall so it would make sense that I shorten my stride length without realising it when running on the treadmill.

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

having the treadmill on an incline should help reduce shock to the legs/knees

8. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

Can you explain why? What are the main differences between running on an inclined and running on a flat treadmill. Which is more benificial?

9. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Good question! Can't say that I have the answer you are seeking. Running an incline is more beneficial insofar as it makes the muscles work harder & we burn more calories. Whether a moderate incline is more or less stressful to the shins & joints, I couldn't say. Keep in mind tho' that our bodies are designed much better for climbing, walking or running uphill than it is for downhill.

BTW, it is interesting to note than running a mile or (briskly) walking a mile burns nearly the same amount of calories... perhaps slightly more for running. Obviously, running for 20 minutes will burn a lot more calories than walking for 20 minutes tho'.

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

err, no.
    just something I read somewhere, and from when I have used treadmills I have found it to be the case.

elliptical trainers are supposed to put much less strain on the joints,
    so, as a guess, I would say that having the treadmill on an incline gives your stride pattern a slightly more elliptical shape. Your leading foot lands more softly on an inclined treadmill than a flat treadmill. On the flat I find the foot seems to "slap" down.

although, if you say you have a different stride pattern on a treadmill compared to on the road, maybe it would be best for you to experiment and decide for yourself...

11. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    i experience shin splints when i use the treadmill with high inclination setting, i do it so i could burn more calories.

12. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    i experience shin splints when i use the treadmill with high inclination setting, i do it so i could burn more calories.

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I only experience shin pain when running on a treadmill , not on grass. If you run on a treadmill you should have it on an incline if not it is just like running downhill. I imagine running exclusively on a treadmill could cause muscle imbalance since you do not have to exert backwards force in the same way you do on grass. The treadmill may be harder than grass on impact and is unvarying , which would lend itself to repetitive injuries.

14. hannamarin1

hannamarin1 New Member

15. m3w78

m3w78 Regular Member

real estate
    You get shin splints from raising your toes (in order to land on your heels). If you don't get them running on a flat setting, but you do running on an incline - then it means you're raising your toes more on the incline. Try running on your toes, and not letting your heels touchdown first. I bet you'll never get shin splints that way.

visor likes this.