Best racquet for high school team?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by wazzzzaaaas, Jan 14, 2005.

1. wazzzzaaaas

wazzzzaaaas Regular Member

hey guys, im in charge of ordering some racquets for my high school team about in the low $100 range and high in performance... most of the players are beginners, and a few good ones.. which racquet(s) would be the best to buy and aren't too hard to master... i was thinking mp-88 or something along that range, what do you guys suggest? (ps. i only want to order yonex racquets)

2. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    $100 what currency?

3. smashin'

smashin' Regular Member

Christianity & HS student
    That sounds like an awful lot and like an awful nice racquet for beginners.

4. wazzzzaaaas

$100 US... i guess its a little high. but thats what the school budget allows for so the coach wants to spend most of it, if not all of it... any suggestions?

5. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    I wish we had that funding!!! We have no funding at all from school. No even birdies.:crying: Anyways, back on topic, I believe that you peopel should get some Carbonex's. Begginers should always progress from small sweetspot to big sweetspot, therefore oval first before iso. Also, you would probably have alot of racket clashes, and Carbonex's are sturdy rackets. Many of the Cab's are near the $100 price line, some more some less. But If you buy for the team, I am sure you can get a great deal!!

6. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm? How many racquets of $100 can you afford... What I mean is the budget, is it $100 for the whole team or per person? If so how many people and what is their skill level and stuff. You've got to think bout strings and stuff too you know, unless the players buy it on their own...

7. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

perhaps not limiting yourself to one racquet choice?

some players might like oval, and some might like iso.

i suggest getting some simple information for a few racquets, that are suited for some players, then bring that to the team, asking who might like what.

the 100 usd you have per person should include not only the racquet, but perhaps string too. it might be beneficial to budget a few extras as well, as clashes are bound to occur, and clashes bring about racquet brakage.

also, see if anyone on the team is willing to pitch in their own money to bump the budget pool up a bit too.

8. wazzzzaaaas

ya of course its 100 per person and this fluctuates depending on factors such as additional fundraising, funds from players, etc... hopefully some company can offer great rates on possibly a real nice and balanced all around racquet. that includes stringing as well.. although about half the players are beginners, they have the money to spend on such good racquets so i really dont see it as a problem

9. Grufey

Grufey Regular Member

Student
    How about biridies? You can't just have rackets and no birdies! Since they are mainly beginners, those with more power will tend to destroy the birds really fast. So be sure to factor in some funds for that.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    get the mp44 or lower models and use the leftover money from strings, grips and maybe shuttles as grufey had said. MP88 is bad for beginners, 1 minor clash, gonso.

#10 cooler, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  11. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    WT FLIP!?!!? ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS PER PERSON?!

Seriously, for easy pushover games, I just use the cheap bent out of shape no T joint aluminum rackets supplied by my school. If I was going to play a good pair, I'd bring my 99. My partners in high school tend to clash rackets a lot... But seriously, $100 per person, you're really lucky man. I know some people who can get AT 500's for about 100 dollars. I can't refer you to them though. But just to let you know, there are AT 500's (beautiful for high school badminton), out there for 100 dollars Canadian.

12. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Maybe get shoes as well?

13. wazzzzaaaas

i forgot to say that the 100/per player covers simply the racquet and stringing, etc.. shoes and any other costs are covered already from separate funding...as for shoes, students pay 75% of their cost and get to keep them..the rest im not sure of yet...

14. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    i agree with some of the above...should get a range of rackets...not all the same.
    should also consider getting some heavier steel rackets (the cheap kind) for training and warmups...1. durable, 2. the weight trains them a bit
    and yeah...you need an idea of the skill level among the team...some of them might be better suited at playing an agressive game with a head heavy racket, some might prefer control...so just getting balanced rackets for all may not bring out the best of the team.

15. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    wow i cannot believe this you get $100 per person man your school must be rich i mean at ours you have to supply your own racquets and the ones that they do have are crappy all worn out gezz well from ur budget i woudl say go with the lower yonex MP modles, such as mp 44 and lower they are rather good and are cheap to, some of them come strung some dont it just depends where you buy, but dont be limited to yonex or one brand as said before mix it up a bit this way the intermediate players will have a selection to choose from and well the beginners will be happy to have such a good racquet. one question this $100 is it every year or do these racquets have to last a certin amount of time until they decide to but new ones?

16. wazzzzaaaas

not sure, but i believe this budget expands every 2-3 yrs..

17. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

if u said there are good players in ur school... that means they play badminton, and that means they probably have rackets of their own, so why buyt it for all of them? why not just buy rackets for the ones who don't have any?

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't understand what the coach is thinking about, when he planning the "budget distribution":

1. $100 racket for most beginner is just a waste. No offense for beginner can't get a shiny racket, but with all the mis-hit, clash, bad storage, etc, rackets going to break easily.

2. Personally, I would rather save a big portion of the $$$ to hire a good coach for the students, who are willing to improve.

3. Spending $$$ on a team, is to make the team to be good, not only to make the kids to be happy of getting an expensive gift, or showing off a shiny racket. :confused:

4. My suggestion is go to local dealers, and ask for advice. If possible, work out a deal with discount could be a bonus. :eek:

19. smashin'

smashin' Regular Member

Christianity & HS student
    good point....just buy some cheaper steel and aluminum racquets for the beginers until they improve, and then buy them some nicer racquets; or let them buy new racquets if they want something nicer; or say that you'll contribute this much to a racquet and if you want something nicer, you (the student) will have to pay the difference....

20. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Carbonex 8200/8400 is an ideal racket to master technique with(learn proper strokes, develop consistency in hitting the sweetspot), and it's also good enough for competition if your skill is there. With steel rackets..you won't be able to play well in game situations.