string breakages - iso / classic

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by coops241180, Jan 15, 2005.

1. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hi guys - Couldn't find a similar topic so this must be a new query.

Have any of you noticed whether iso frames result in more string breakages than classic frames?

i have one of each (yes i know - it can be a bit funny changes between the two but i'm used to it) and the iso frame has repeatedly broken strings. I use the same strings and the same tension in both racquets.

any thoughts?

ta

Neil

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have a crazy thought :)

ISO frame: Usually larger sweetspot
    Oval frame: Usually smaller sweetspot, which might cause more hit-on-frame cases.

So, because ISO frame can give you better sweetspot, your chance of making shots on strings is more than Oval frame. This might be why the string on your ISO frame breaks faster. ;)

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not sure if i buy that theory, BJ.

the size of the sweet spot is not the same as the size of the string bed.

even though you will hit outside the sweet spot more often on a oval frame, most of the time it is still the stringbed that the birdie is contacting.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is an alternative theory..

since oval rackets have shorter strings, with the same tension, the shorter length string have less leeway to move around in the string bed. as a result, the strings cuts each other less often so the oval frame strings break less often.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Who made the racquets and what models? For example, new YY MS frame is designed with string hugging the frame to allow string to slide easier while older ISO frame w/o MS design has string sit on top of the garments and it does not slide as well. This will cause string to break easier. Check your garment and see if the string is bitting into the garments. Hope this help.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

what sort of breakages?
    because of mishits?
    because of wear and tear?
    are the mains breaking regularly?
    or are the crosses breaking regularly?
    or a mixture?

my personal experience is that my iso frame racquets suffer string breakage more than my ovals.

BUT
    the iso frames are 2U (MP100 and Ti10) and almost exclusively used for singles. Cross string in the centre usually breaks from wear (notching)

the ovals are 3U and 4U (Carlton AS1, AS-Ti, Superlite) and almost exclusively used for doubles (except like yesterday when strings broke in both the Ti10 and MP100 during singles). A mix of wear and tear and mis-hits.

Singles 2-3 hours per week
    Doubles 5-6 hours per week

My singles is more aggressive than my doubles, which also adds to the breakage in singles.

7. coops241180

Product Owner
    Hey guys, thanks for all your input. some very interesting theories.

Here's a little more information to throw in to the mix which may or may not be of any use.

The iso racquet is an inflight evo 180 - it is almost a clone of one of the MP yonex racquets, it has the same sort of head with the funny curved bits betweeen the grommets.

it's the second one i had - i never had this string breakage problem with the first evo180 i owned - but i was using a different string - and possibly a lower tension - i'm not sure.

my classic shaped racquet is a carlton airblade 900.

the string breakages were caused by mishits - but i make just as many using the classic racquet as i do the iso so i don't think the increase is simply down to the way i play with racquets. something about iso racquets causes them to break more strings - I am not usually a regular string breaker, and while i have played more this season than ever before i don't think this accounts for the increase either since i have never had the classic restrung for a breakage. the iso however has broken strings within about 3 matches - the first time it was on the first rally (but that was factory strings so i expected it..)

i'd be really pleased to hear people's experiences with iso's and classic racquets, especially since i'm seriously considering just buying a carlton rasmussen tour to replace my is racquet - if only to reduce the amount of cash i'm spending on restrings!

thanks for your interest

Neil

8. Neil Nicholls

check the grommets
    If the iso has knackered grommets and the oval has good grommets, that may be the cause.

9. Neil Nicholls

and have you got a differnt person doing the stringing now?

10. coops241180

Product Owner
    hehe - i checked the grommets the first time, the racquet was brand new and the grommets are in good nick - on both racquets.

yes i do have a new stringer - but he strung the classic as well - and all the rest of my families racquets - all of which are classic shape - no breakages there yet...

it is an interesting mystery..
    i'm going to go with the iso racquet not being too keen on the tension in it - which is a bit poor considering that it's only string to 24 lbs./sq.in.

hmmm..

does anybody have any stats on rates of string breakage across the tension range comparing the two shapes? or know where i can find it?

thanks,

Neil

11. coops241180

Product Owner
    hi again, thought you'd like to see this - i was looking at the stringing patterns on the two identical brand / make iso racquets i own (i don't play with the older one because the handle came off) since i've had a different stringer since then. i've attached the pix below. i noticed a few things

1. the old one had and extra horizontal string at the bottom
    2. the old one had the 2 knots diagonally opposite - i think the new one had them both on the same side
    3. the new and the old one have different patterns in the bottom corners (see the pictures)

interestingly - my old racquet was strung at the english nationals last year, which i will also be at this year - so i may simply get it done again this year and see if this solves the problem.. i find it hard to believe that this would be the difference though..

enjoy

Neil

Attached Files:

12. Neil Nicholls

1+2
    The extra cross string will move a knot from one side to the other

One pattern could be the Yonex standard where the side mains go
    9, 12, 10
    The other pattern could be the simple
    9, 10, 12

13. coops241180

Product Owner
    do you think either of those could result in extra breakages tho?

14. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

you might want to consider cutting those strings before any frame warping occurs, if that was strung at higher tension ranges.

15. Neil Nicholls

no.................(darn that 15 character minimum)