Net clears

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Jan 15, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

I can't net clear very well... HOw can i do it better? Whenever its a steep drop i can't hit it very far forward becuz i must hit it so high up?? how can i make it so i can net clear?

2. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

The best way to clear farther is to get to the shuttle earlier. To get the the shuttle, you must have good footwork. I had similar troubles before and it was due to me being to scared to hit it hard, i fear of the birdie going out. If you are having trouble, I advise you to practice your lunge or practice hitting it. You will get the feel for iot after a while.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    firstly, it is called a "lift", not net clear.

have you practiced it before? like doing drills with a friend, he drops from the rear court, and then you lift from the front?

if not, do it. do it a few thousand times, if not more. you should be very comfortable with the lift after that.

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Lifts, underhand clears, lobs (Denmark?)... I think that it depends on which country or area you are from what the terminology might actually be.

Nonetheless, there are times when just getting to a tight drop that you will find it neccessary to hit the shuttle very high... you will really have to put a lot of power into it to make sure that you also get it as deep as possible. Another option might be to hit a crosscourt drop instead.

#4 SystemicAnomaly, Jan 18, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Taken late, a crosscourt "drop" (netshot, I assume) is a desperation shot; you only play this shot if the shuttle is tight to the net and near the floor, so that it is impossible to lift deep. If your opponent is alert, then he will be expecting this shot and will try to kill it.

Taken early, of course, a crosscourt netshot can be very effective (though it's not an easy shot).

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Yes, you are absolutely correct in this matter. I was assuming, in the situation that oab729 had described, that he was trying to hit a high desperation clear (lift) off a fairly tight drop but not getting it deep enough. I can often hit the lift deep enough in this situation, but not always. Every once in a while I'll attempt the crosscourt drop (with moderate success) if it looks as if I have any chance at all of making the shot.

7. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    What grip do you use when you lift with your forehand? I find that lifting on backhand side is much smoother, and I can get much more height with less motion. One guy told me to use a grip similar to panhandle, but with only half of your thumb on the flat bevel. It just seems awkward. What grips do you guys use? I find the conventional forehand grip kind of weak and inflexible for this shot... :confused:

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

9. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

Excellent

Don't understand a word that he is saying! (may be a few, like finger power..)
    But an Excellent video.
    Thanks!

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes. Like many people here, I wish I could speak Danish :D