Singapore Rackets (Help Would be Kindly Appreciated)

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by bluestorm, Jan 16, 2005.

1. bluestorm

bluestorm New Member

I am visiting Singapore and would like to buy a Yonex MP-66 Racket. I've read through the forum and notice "Bras Basah Complex" is recommended a fair bit. Does Mustafa's have any badminton rackuet places? Also I read somewhere "Queensway shopping center", what is it like over there? Any other suggestions as to a good palce with authentic rackets?

How much would I pay for a Yonex MP-66 racket in Singapore, anyone have any idea? Also, are fake rackets around in Singapore, and if so are they common place? Lastly anyone know a price for Yonex Carbonex 30MS?

I'm really sorry for all the questions, but my visit in Singapore is less than 24 hours (transit), so I don't think going around everywhere is going to happen with time. I would be very grateful for any help and your help would be much appreciated. ;)

Kind Regards,
    Blue Storm

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Hey man. Check this out http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15401. Btw hbow are u gonna bring ur racquets to aust? hand carry? and which poart of aust do u live in

3. bluestorm

bluestorm New Member

Thanks for that link Fend :D

Couldn't find any prices for MP-66 though (anyone?), but got the price for Carbonex 20 MS :D

I haven't given the how I'm bringing it back a thought yet, better get it sorted soon. BTW, I'm in Sydney, I see your in Perth.

Um from what I can see the best places to go are Bras Basah and Queensway. How long would travelling between the two take on public transport (ooh I know this is very open, just trying to plan my stay out as efficiently as possible). Which do you think is better to go to, Bras Basah or Queensway (cheap prices, authentic)? Also do you guys recommend not getting the strings done over there? I've read bad feedback on the stringing.

I'm worried about possibly getting a fake racket, is this common in Singapore? I've got my basic check, but I'm still abit shaky.

Anyones help would be immensly appreciated.

4. bluestorm

bluestorm New Member

Also found Peninsula Shopping Centre, is that a good place?

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to edit my post before, so I had to hit reply.

5. WhyrlWynd

WhyrlWynd Regular Member

System Engineer
    Mustafa shopping centre has range but prices are high. Not worth going.

Queensway shopping centre has a lot of shops selling sports equipment, might take a while to find what you need. But it has range of equipments and you can compare prices between shops and bargain.

Bras Basah complex has 4 shops selling rackets. I will go more in detail for these shops:
    Music world(1st floor, behind escalator) lack range

Shop next to Music World, 10n10 (actual name is in chinese, åå…¨å美 so keep a look out) has a wide variety of rackets(yonex, apac) but the salesperson tend to persuade people to buy apac racket and kinda hard to get a good price here.

Ranking is on the 3rd floor. Dun be deceive by the music instruments, they also carry a wide range of rackets and best chance of bargaining for a good price here. If you dun see the racket you want, ask the people there, sometimes they're not up for display.

Zenith is next to Ranking on the 3rd floor, facing different direction. Range is decent, so are the price. Also only shop i know that sells Aeroplane shuttles.

In terms of location, Changi Airport is located on the East most end of Singapore, Queensway shopping centre is on the west side (not the end most) while Bras Basah is located in the south central area. Maybe you can go a loop as in Changi - Queensway - Bras Basah - Changi ?. Hope these information are useful to you!

Side note, if you're interested in Yonex jerseys and want a huge range to choose from, and dun mind the price of around S$28-$32 per jersey, you can drop by Far East Plaza, the Sunrise distributor showroom. Otherwise, the above places might be cheaper, ranging from $20-26 but the range is much smaller. Prices of rackets are very high in the showroom.

6. WhyrlWynd

WhyrlWynd Regular Member

System Engineer
    As for fake rackets, I haven't encounter it before but better to play safe and inspect the rackets thoroughly.

Travel time between these places if you're taking cab/taxi are roughly:
    Changi to Bras Basah - 20-40min (depending on traffic)
    Changi to Queensway - 30-50min
    Bras Basah to Queensway - 15-25min

7. bluestorm

bluestorm New Member

Thanks heaps WhyrlWynd!

How's Peninsula Shopping Center?

Also do you know the rough price of the MP-66?

What's the stringing like at those places? My racquet stringer here is quiet good, so I might buy the strings there and get them strung here if the stringing there is bad. Any comments?

Thanks so much to everyone for their help!

8. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

around 150+/- if im not wrong...Cab 30 ms i bought b4 @ 140 wif string which i dun recomend u string there...

9. WhyrlWynd

WhyrlWynd Regular Member

System Engineer
    range of rackets in Peninsula Shopping Centre is pretty weak. Mostly selling other sports stuff but can find some nice accessories but not a good place for rackets :D

10. bluestorm

bluestorm New Member

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Fend has been really helpful through PM, so I must give him an extra thanks - he's gone way beyond the forums to help me out.

Just a quick one, I was reading the Equipment Review and was wondering what the price on the BG-85Ti Strings are like (unstrung, will get it strungby my stringer here).. Seem to be really good strings.

Thanks everyone!

11. bluestorm

bluestorm New Member

Woops I meant Yonex 88-Ti Strings :rolleyes:

I'd get 4 or 5 packets of strings, as strings here are outrageously expensive!

#11 bluestorm, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  12. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    basically chances of u being able to get bg 70, 75, 88 is like impossible.... SG dun stock in string from JP too expensive... even sunrise dun have them...